Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
kn007
kn007 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Exclamation Kindle Touch:How to reset to factory default? [Resolved]

Hi guys, I'm just a new member here.

I just bought Kindle Touch for 20 days, but today i use the (usbnetwork)ssh change the /etc/upstart/framework
Quote:
-DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=true \
to
Quote:
-DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=false \
then
it's already dead and the screen shows a man under a tree.Few seconds late ,it will auto restart cycle.

I tried to restart by holding power button 20 seconds many times ,still stuck with a man under a tree page.

I plugged in USB cable with my notebook .When it auto reboot, i can see it as a USB Drive when connected to the PC 20-30 seconds

I can use the diag or fastboot mode ,but i don't know how to reset the KT to factory setting.

oh, when i use the diags mode to enable the usbnetwork ,but the ssh result me that connection refused.
ps, i try the (jailbreak)data.tar.gz ,but it doesn't work.
also,i use the "data.tar.gz" and "JB_RUNME.sh"
Quote:
#!/bin/sh
mount -o rw,remount /
cp -f /mnt/us/framework /etc/upstart/
cp -f /etc/upstart/framework /mnt/us/a/
chmod 644 /etc/upstart/framework
shutdown -r now
but It does not work too.

and i use the fastboot mode ,use
Quote:
fastboot setvar bootmode reset
fastboot reboot
when it reboot ,then shutdown the KT

so,i use
Quote:
fastboot setvar bootmode factory
fastboot reboot
but it into the diags mode.

Now i setting back to
Quote:
fastboot setvar bootmode main
fastboot reboot
it still Automatic reboot on the screen shows a man under a tree(first SPLASH IMAGE)

I am use Windows XP SP3
What can i do? thank you!

Last edited by kn007; 04-07-2012 at 11:02 AM.
kn007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
kn007

thanks aditya3098
i will see it
but maybe you can give me some suggestions
Old 04-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
kn007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
thanks
can i use the

Quote:
fastboot flash system mmcblk0p1.img
Old 04-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
kn007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
i use the
Quote:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K
then the screen shows "Repair Needed ! Your Kindle Needs Repair...."

What can i do?

i don't know how to use the mmcblk0p1.img if it need use
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn007 View Post
thanks
can i use the
Quote:
Quote:
fastboot flash system mmcblk0p1.img
Actually, you CANNOT flash a main kernel image with fastboot. Although fastboot falsely reports success, it actually only flashes a small PART of the kernel image. You can see this if you watch the serial port messages while you try that command. The main kernel image is too large for fastboot.

You MUST use the dd command after booting from diags, to successfully write a main partition image. If you write main while booted from main, it often does not work correctly because the main partition sometimes writes to its filesystem. Writing to a filesystem and to its raw partition at the same time will damage it to some extent (perhaps too much to repair).
Quote:
.. the screen shows "Repair Needed ! Your Kindle Needs Repair...."
What can i do?
You need to reset the boot counter stored in the /var/local partition, or erase the /var/local partition that contains it (mmcblk0p3). You can reset the boot counter with this command at an SSH prompt:

echo 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts

There are RUNME.sh scripts posted that can do that for you. You can also erase the boot counter file instead of resetting it to zero.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-07-2012 at 09:55 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
kn007

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Actually, you CANNOT flash a main kernel image with fastboot. Although fastboot falsely reports success, it actually only flashes a small PART of the kernel image. You can see this if you watch the serial port messages while you try that command. The main kernel image is too large for fastboot.

You MUST use the dd command after booting from diags, to successfully write a main partition image. If you write main while booted from main, it often does not work correctly because the main partition sometimes writes to its filesystem. Writing to a filesystem and to its raw partition at the same time will damage it to some extent (perhaps too much to repair).You need to reset the boot counter stored in /var/local. There are RUNME.sh scripts posted that can do that.
thank you.

but i use the mmcblk0p2_ssh.img ,it didn't mount /dev/mmcblk0p1,when i use
Quote:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc
but the /mnt/mmc/mnt/us just have one tree 'document'

i don't known how to going down

If i use back the mmcblk0p2.img ,but i cannot into the ssh ,connection refuse.
so, i didn't use the
Quote:
dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K
now i can see the screen shows "Repair Needed ! Your Kindle Needs Repair...." , no auto reboot now

what can i do?
thanks again

Last edited by kn007; 04-07-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
kn007

Quote:

You MUST use the dd command after booting from diags, to successfully write a main partition image. If you write main while booted from main, it often does not work correctly because the main partition sometimes writes to its filesystem. Writing to a filesystem and to its raw partition at the same time will damage it to some extent (perhaps too much to repair).You need to reset the boot counter stored in the /var/local partition, or erase the /var/local partition that contains it (mmcblk0p3). You can reset the boot counter with this command at an SSH prompt:

There are RUNME.sh scripts posted that can do that for you. You can also erase the boot counter file instead of resetting it to zero.

thanks lot

i will try
Old 04-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... it didn't mount /dev/mmcblk0p1,when i use but the /mnt/mmc/mnt/us just have one tree 'document'

i don't known how to going down
Nothing is mounted in /mnt/mmc/mnt/us. You need to look in /mnt/us instead for the USB drive contents.

By "going down", if you mean using a linux shell command to move to the parent directory, you should do "cd .." for that.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
kn007

Quote:
Nothing is mounted in /mnt/mmc/mnt/us. You need to look in /mnt/us instead for the USB drive contents.

By "going down", if you mean using a linux shell command to move to the parent directory, you should do "cd .." for that.
i use the "data.tar.gz" and "JB_RUNME.sh"

"JB_RUNME.sh" :
Quote:
i can see the jailbreak logo ,when it reboot,i still see the screen shows "Repair Needed ! Your Kindle Needs Repair...."

maybe i do it wrong way?

now i stll use the mmcblk0p2_ssh.img, not the mmcblk0p2.img

maybe i cany use "JB_RUNME.sh":
Quote:
?

Last edited by kn007; 04-07-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
i use the "data.tar.gz" and "JB_RUNME.sh"

"JB_RUNME.sh" :

i can see the jailbreak logo ,when it reboot,i still see the screen shows "Repair Needed ! Your Kindle Needs Repair...."

maybe i do it wrong way?

now i stll use the mmcblk0p2_ssh.img, not the mmcblk0p2.img
The RUNME.sh files are the OLD way of doing things (from the older "Select Boot" thread). Just use diags SSH. It is much simpler and more reliable. That is WHY you flashed the mmcblk0p2_ssh.img file in the first place.

The whole point of the newer "Simple Debricking" thread is to flash diags with SSH installed, then use diags SSH (diags menu options N U Z X) to repair your kindle. You can download the images from that thread, but you should also follow the instructions provided there.

By mixing repair methods like you have been doing, you are just making things more complicated than they need to be. Just use diags SSH. Just use diags SSH. Okay?

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-07-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
kn007

Quote:
The easiest and most reliable way is to boot to diags (using ENABLE_DIAGS or MfgTool), then get an SSH shell (diags menu options N U Z X). Then repair the kindle from an SSH shell. That is whole point of the "simple debricking" thread. You can download the images there, but especially, you should follow the instructions provided there.
i use the mmcblk0p2_ssh.img on the diags(MfgTool) can ssh,but the /mnt/us is empty
but use back mmcblk0p2.img on the diags(MfgTool) ,ssh connection refuse, how to fix it?
can you just tell me what to do now,my english not good

Can i use "JB_RUNME.sh":
Quote:
???

Last edited by kn007; 04-07-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
i use the mmcblk0p2_ssh.img on the diags(MfgTool) can ssh
but use back mmcblk0p2.img on the diags(MfgTool) ,ssh connection refuse, how to fix it?
can you just tell me what to do now,my english not good

Can i use "JB_RUNME.sh": ???
To start SSH, you need to do diags menu options N U Z X. The X is important. The SSH server takes about 20 seconds AFTER you exit from the USBnet menu before you can SSH in. You need to set your host PC usb network IP address to 192.168.15.201. You need to ssh to root@192.168.15.244. The login is root, password mario.

The "connection refused" means that you did not start SSH or you did not wait long enough for it to start, or you are trying to SSH from or to the wrong IP address.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
kn007

Quote:
To start SSH, you need to do diags menu options N U Z X. The X is important. The SSH server takes about 20 seconds AFTER you exit from the USBnet menu before you can SSH in. You need to set your host PC usb network IP address to 192.168.15.201. You need to ssh to root@192.168.15.244. The login is root, password mario.

The "connection refused" means that you did not start SSH or you did not wait long enough for it to start, or you are trying to SSH from or to the wrong IP address.
Right,but thehad two mmcblk0p2.img
the mmcblk0p2.img ,ssh tip that connection refused
but the mmcblk0p2_ssh.img.gz can root@192.168.15.244
i am sure the network IP address is 192.168.15.201

that "ssh" i mean is in diags mode and select menu items N) U) Z) X). then pc request

but this maybe not important, now i still see the screen shows "Repair Needed ! Your Kindle Needs Repair...."Can i use "JB_RUNME.sh":
Quote:
to fix it???

now i try the ssh again,this time the /mnt/us/ is mount
now i use
Quote:
to setup

Last edited by kn007; 04-07-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
kn007

Quote:

thanks aditya3098 and geekmaster,KT is work again
thank you so much

Quote:
Without your help, I really do not know what to do