Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 02:30 AM   #256
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenznz View Post
MikeLC, thanks for the reply. Am continuing with the 'drain and recharge' plan as suggested earlier in the thread.

Just to your other suggestion, I'm on software version 1.7 on my Kobo wifi. I don't use the Kobo desktop app. so am unsure if this is the latest one or not??
Also, if it isn't, is there a way of updating without synching to the desktop app?
Yup 1.7.4 November is the current wifi Kobo firmware you can download it anytime you are connected to the shop via a wifi connection or by updating your library directly on the Kobo ereader.

Quite a few users were having issues with new batteries not holding charges and that is solved by draining and recharging the battery over and over a few times before the battery wears in.

Good luck feel free to keep us informed
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #257
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeWeaving View Post
I have one of the original Kobos. Love it BUT whenever I buy a new book, I download to my computer, update library, plug in my Kobo and hit the Sync. Button. It then proceeds to go all though the books that I have already downloaded. So, is what you are suggesting above a way around this - I would just be downloading the book that I just purchased to my Kobo? Thanks for any help.
The new version of the desktop seems to have resolved this for most people. What version of the firmware and desktop are you using? The first time after a version update, you will go through all of the books. You will also go through them all each time you have to log in again. So if you are routinely logging out of your account through the desktop, stop doing that .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #258
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Doesn't the red light mean it's charging? mine is red when charging then blue when charged
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #259
keysthatclick
keysthatclick began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi
My wife's Kobo Wi-Fi (her second now) doesn't hold a charge, and this is with minimal usage. I.e. she charged to full, read one night for about an hour, left it in sleep mode and then a couple days later she went to read and it was dead. It's not a case of buttons being hit by accident - this thing sits on the bedside table in a case.

With her 1st Kobo (the one we returned) she tried to put shut it down after reading. This helped with the battery, but then it means it's not working as advertised... You shouldn't have to do this.

I've read a few recommendations so far that you have to calibrate the battery, which I don't think has helped make a difference. With her first unit it went dead plenty of times and she had to recharge - it never got any better. It seems like a grasping at straws recommendation. Perhaps it is just poor product design?

We're also running the latest firmware, so we don't know what else to do with this thing.

We're seriously thinking of returning it and getting a Sony reader instead.
keysthatclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #260
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysthatclick View Post
My wife's Kobo Wi-Fi (her second now) doesn't hold a charge, and this is with minimal usage. I.e. she charged to full, read one night for about an hour, left it in sleep mode and then a couple days later she went to read and it was dead. It's not a case of buttons being hit by accident - this thing sits on the bedside table in a case.

With her 1st Kobo (the one we returned) she tried to put shut it down after reading. This helped with the battery, but then it means it's not working as advertised... You shouldn't have to do this.

I've read a few recommendations so far that you have to calibrate the battery, which I don't think has helped make a difference. With her first unit it went dead plenty of times and she had to recharge - it never got any better. It seems like a grasping at straws recommendation. Perhaps it is just poor product design?

We're also running the latest firmware, so we don't know what else to do with this thing.

I think there were some early Kobos with bad batteries. i took mine back to Indigo where i bought it and they replaced it. No questions asked the new one works well and the battery life is very very good
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #261
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
But then remember only the people with defective battery will post about it
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #262
batkinson001
Kobo App user
batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
if the battery has been conditioned incorrectly, is there a way to condition it to use its full capacity? in this day and age there shouldn't be any rechargeable batteries with a memory being used in new devices...
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #263
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
How many charges does it take before the battery smartens up and holds a charge? I'm getting a little worried here. I've charged 3 or 4 times, and I'm only getting about 200 page turns now (it actually seems worse since the firmware update, but I don't know why that should be).
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #264
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Coccinelle View Post
.... I'm only getting about 200 page turns now ...
If you're only getting 200 page turns I'd be exchanging it. Even out of the box you should be getting more than that. Since this is an Original and I assume you've only recently gotten it since you've only recharged 3-4 times, my guess would be that the one you got was previously returned and maybe "refurbished" and pushed out the door on clearance. Can't say I'm impressed with Kobo and the way they treat Kobo's that were returned for one reason or another.

Last edited by robko; 01-30-2011 at 11:48 AM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #265
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
If you're only getting 200 page turns I'd be exchanging it. Even out of the box you should be getting more than that. Since this is an Original and I assume you've only recently gotten it since you've only recharged 3-4 times, my guess would be that the one you got was previously returned and maybe "refurbished" and pushed out the door on clearance. Can't say I'm impressed with Kobo and the way they treat Kobo's that were returned for one reason or another.
I don't think it was previously returned. I specifically asked, and was told it was brand new. It didn't look used, either (all the packaging, plastic films, etc. were still in place and unopened).

Battery life was actually better straight out of the box. I thought it was supposed to improve with charging... not get worse.

I don't want the Wi-Fi version, so I won't be exchanging it. I'll probably just use the device and recharge it regularly until I find something I like better (and/or until certain companies smarten up with the geographical restriction issue).
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #266
Perryw
Author
Perryw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yeah, I hear you. The wifi addition will only add to the battery woes. I know the I use my iPod touch with the wifi turned on (to buy books through the app) it's like I can see the battery icon drain away.
Perryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #267
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryw View Post
Yeah, I hear you. The wifi addition will only add to the battery woes. I know the I use my iPod touch with the wifi turned on (to buy books through the app) it's like I can see the battery icon drain away.
I never use my wifi. I leave it turned off and the battery life is far superior to the original Kobo.

Just sayin'. Just because it has wifi doesn't mean you have to use it.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #268
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysthatclick View Post

This is normal. "Sleep mode" draws power from the battery. If you use the power off function then it will last 3 weeks easily. I can usually read between 3 and 4 books before needing a charge.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #269
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
This is normal. "Sleep mode" draws power from the battery. If you use the power off function then it will last 3 weeks easily. I can usually read between 3 and 4 books before needing a charge.
Yes sleep mode draws some power, but it should last more than a couple of days in sleep when you're not using it. I rarely shut mine off and it downloads a newspaper a day, and I read the newspaper and 1-2 hours on top of that and I get 4-5 days out of it. 1-2 days just isn't right.
If you're leaving the WIFI on continuously OTOH, then all bets are off.
Robert
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #270
cmm
swizzle
cmm began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Battery life WAYYYY down post-firmware-upgrade

I'm not sure about page turns, but my non-wifi Kobo used to easily last weeks before needing a recharge. I once left it sitting, without using it, for a month and the battery meter barely moved.

After upgrading the firmware last month, it needs to be recharged at least every week.

I'm guessing this is to do with the quick on, sleep mode feature. Should I be shutting it down (holding the power button) completely when I know I won't need it for awhile?

Thanks very much,
cmm is offline   Reply With Quote