Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #241
Perryw
Author
Perryw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kobo Battery life, and start up

I find with my Kobo that the upgrades are spotty. Sometimes the battery seems to hold the charge better and other times it just drains the battery quickly.

I've had mine since the first shipping, so my batter is calibrated.

I could live with the battery issue if they would find a way for the devise to start up faster so I can read a few pages when I don't have a lot of time.
Perryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #242
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
You must have a Kobo-1, because the WiFi model battery lasts at least 10 days when using Sleep mode, with its start up in an instant. If using power down each time, the WiFi model will go over a month before charging is required.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #243
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
It is recommended to fully drain the Kobo and recharge it a couple of times before the battery life gets calibrated so that could help a few people with battery issues

I would also recommend you to check the firmware incase it is an older firmware issue

currently wifi Kobos are running on 1.7.4 with the patch in November.

Kobo can be reached at 1-866-204-4717 Monday to Sunday 8am-12am in Canada (other numbers are avaliable in the user's manual)

also most larger Chapters/Indigo locations do have Kobo designated staff that can help to try and fix common issues or tech support.

Hope this helps

Michael
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #244
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLC View Post
It is recommended to fully drain the Kobo and recharge it a couple of times before the battery life gets calibrated so that could help a few people with battery issues
Be careful. It is not exactly correct.
Modern batteries are smart enough to say "I'm empty" when it still
has more power. If you let reader give alert with E letter, make it
to be "empty". Never go more than this. There is a chance that bat-
tery won't wake up again. Better charge frequently than kill it.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #245
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Be careful. It is not exactly correct.
Modern batteries are smart enough to say "I'm empty" when it still
has more power. If you let reader give alert with E letter, make it
to be "empty". Never go more than this. There is a chance that bat-
tery won't wake up again. Better charge frequently than kill it.
Hi,

Yes I agree completely killing a device's battery runs the danger of damaging or completely killing your battery permanantly it's always recommended to charge the e-reader when it gives the warning screen that you will need to charge the e-reader (at which point you won't beable to do anything in a normal fashion as the battery is at a point that it only lasts a few seconds)

Thanks for noting that though

Michael
Old 01-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #246
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLC View Post
Thanks for noting that though
In a matter of fact, I found battery life a bit better now than at the
moment I got it as new. I also followed "empty 3 times and charge
fully", for no particular reason. Old habits never die.
Opinions on internet go toward "no need to do anything". Charge
whenever you want and frequently. For good or bad, I charge when
almost empty. Cannot say why I do that way.

Last edited by zoran; 01-11-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #247
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I think i get about a 1000 out of mine, but powering up and sleep mode still use battery
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #248
Wenznz
Wenznz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by themarshalls6 View Post
I am hoping somebody who knows more about this technology can help me. I was given a Kobo (wifi version) for my birthday in November. Charged it overnight, loaded a couple of books and PDF's, put it in my purse, 5 days later took it out and the battery was dead. Thought maybe it wasn't fully charged after all, charged it overnight again, checked to make sure the battery was showing full, put it in my purse, a week later - dead again.
I have been having a similar experience with my Kobo. Read for an hour, put it away for a few days, come back to turn it on - flat battery!
Now I have small children and no case for my Kobo, so mine gets stored on a high shelf away from small fingers, so the issue is unlikely to be buttons being pushed by accident.
Do I just keep charging, and hope for an improvement
Wenznz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #249
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenznz View Post
I have been having a similar experience with my Kobo. Read for an hour, put it away for a few days, come back to turn it on - flat battery!
Now I have small children and no case for my Kobo, so mine gets stored on a high shelf away from small fingers, so the issue is unlikely to be buttons being pushed by accident.
Do I just keep charging, and hope for an improvement
I would recommend draining it until it's almost dead then recharging it a few times before deciding whether it's defective or not

also I would say updating to the latest firmware would help as well as when you do bring a Kobo in to an Indigo store it's one of the questions we ask you.

you're still covered under warrenty for defects anyways though if were out of your color you'll either have to chose another color or shop around (sorry)
Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #250
Wenznz

MikeLC, thanks for the reply. Am continuing with the 'drain and recharge' plan as suggested earlier in the thread.

Just to your other suggestion, I'm on software version 1.7 on my Kobo wifi. I don't use the Kobo desktop app. so am unsure if this is the latest one or not??
Also, if it isn't, is there a way of updating without synching to the desktop app?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:37 AM   #251
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenznz View Post
I don't use the Kobo desktop app. so am unsure if this is the latest one or not?? Also, if it isn't, is there a way of updating without synching to the desktop app?
The current WiFi version is 1.7.4. Your update should happen when you shop or sync wirelessly or when you sync or update the library on your desktop.

If what you want to avoid is the downloading of kobo formatted books you have purchased from kobobooks.com, then one option is to open the desktop (which I don't use either), update the library, and then remove the books from the desktop application (rt click on each cover). You can also go onto the website, and remove all of the books from"I'm Reading" there before an update/sync, which should keep a wireless update from resulting in books being loaded onto your Kobo.

If you happen to have books transfer that you don't want, you can easily delete them from the device (one of the features of 1.7.4).

Last edited by taming; 01-12-2011 at 02:53 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #252
Wenznz

taming, thank you for the reply.

Did as you suggested, and am now all updated. Will just be sure to keep my desktop empty of books to avoid unwanted downloads.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #253
PenelopeWeaving
PenelopeWeaving began at the beginning.

Start-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryw View Post
I could live with the battery issue if they would find a way for the devise to start up faster so I can read a few pages when I don't have a lot of time.
I totally agree with you. I'll be sitting in the car while my husband fills up with gas and by the time my Kobo is up and running, we're off again!
PenelopeWeaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:53 AM   #254
PenelopeWeaving
PenelopeWeaving began at the beginning.

Update/Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
If what you want to avoid is the downloading of kobo formatted books you have purchased from kobobooks.com, then one option is to open the desktop (which I don't use either), update the library, and then remove the books from the desktop application (rt click on each cover). You can also go onto the website, and remove all of the books from"I'm Reading" there before an update/sync, which should keep a wireless update from resulting in books being loaded onto your Kobo.
I have one of the original Kobos. Love it BUT whenever I buy a new book, I download to my computer, update library, plug in my Kobo and hit the Sync. Button. It then proceeds to go all though the books that I have already downloaded. So, is what you are suggesting above a way around this - I would just be downloading the book that I just purchased to my Kobo? Thanks for any help.
PenelopeWeaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #255
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeWeaving View Post
I have one of the original Kobos. Love it BUT whenever I buy a new book, I download to my computer, update library, plug in my Kobo and hit the Sync. Button. It then proceeds to go all though the books that I have already downloaded. So, is what you are suggesting above a way around this - I would just be downloading the book that I just purchased to my Kobo? Thanks for any help.
Yep, some manual work has to be done. There is another solution:
get epub book, find it on the computer, load by the hand on the
reader.
Some competitors let user to buy book wirelessly, and do nothing
after that. I assume it is the future of kobo wifi version.