Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
mikichi
mikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kindle paperWhite
pdf convert

hi,
what file extension(type) is the most compatible with pdf?
let's say i want to convert a pdf file to anohter file type like Html or Word, which file type is will be converted smoothly?
my intent its to convert this file with Calibre to kindle format.
thank you in advance,
miki
mikichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is not the target format that is the problem, but the fact that the input format is PDF! You should read the sticky at the top of this forum about PDF conversions.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You did read the Sticky as background? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605

Personally, I would go with EPUB because I use Sigil and the (Calibre) ebook-editor to clean things up (and some cleanup will almost be needed 100% of the time). I find it simpler to 'Look and Clean' rather than 'Trial and Error' finding the magic terms, using the conversion tool features.
YMMV
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
mikichi
mikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of lightmikichi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kindle paperWhite
yes, i read the sticky.

i ask that different.
what file extension(type) is the better to convert to kindle format - html to awz3 ?word to awz3? matbe txt to awz3?
thank you,
miki
mikichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There is no best way to convert PDF's. First it depends on the PDF, second, and just as importantly, it depends the users requirements etc, etc. Here are some methods that I use from time to time.
  • some will convert 'nicely' to PRC via Mobicreator
  • some will convert 'nicely' to EPUB using calibre
  • some will convert 'nicely' to DOC(X) using Acrobat or Nitro Pro
  • and some are best converted via copy/paste from a PDF reader into a text editor or word processor.
But what ever works best on a given PDF, for a given user, its almost inevitable that he or she will have/want to do some editing on an intermediate format (a wp editor or text editor) and/or on the destination format (e.g. Sigil or Calibre's new EBook Editor)

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikichi View Post
yes, i read the sticky.

i ask that different.
what file extension(type) is the better to convert to kindle format - html to awz3 ?word to awz3? matbe txt to awz3?
thank you,
miki
This isn't just a 'to AZW3' issue:

Clean HTML

DOC is not handled, and care is needed with other Word sources because it leaves/inserts a lot of junk (kruft)

Text is simple, but no styles
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote