Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
snowcandy
snowcandy began at the beginning.

Device: EzReader Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Kindle Voyage
Another thread on the 505 or 600.

Forgive me for starting another "I-Can't-Decide" thread. I'm currently torn between the PRS-505 and PRS-600. Since I'll be using the reader mainly for reading comics and novels, I would prefer a 6" screen over my current 5" Pocket Pro.

The 505 has a clearer screen and has more button-choices to turn a page as compared to the 600, but it also has a slower processor - which I'm not sure how it'll affect the speed of loading images. I've read about the glare faced by owners of the PRS-600 but I honestly am not bothered by it.

So owners of Sony reader, would you recommend the 600 to someone who is totally new in the Sony line, or should I go with the more stable and well-known PRS-500?

Oh and since I live in Australia, trying both of them out at a store is not an option for me. Hope you guys will understand. (:
snowcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
For me, the screen resolution is great on the 505 and good on the 600. The dictionary is nice on the 600 when reading 19th century novels. They used a larger vocabulary. It doesn't matter much with new novels in the last 50 years. The advantage of the 600 is the 5 font sizes rather than the 3 found on the 600. If you read books in foreign languages and need the dictionary to help translate, then the 600 might be an advantage. If price is an issue, then go with the 505, but Ebay prices seem to be holding in there more than might be expected. They both have mp3 players. Page turning seems easier on the 600. What do you plan to read is the question to ask yourself.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
snowcandy

Thanks Ad. (:

What I'm curious about is how does the processor handles images. If I were to view comics and such, would the faster processor on the 600 make a big difference when compared to the 505's?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:29 AM   #4
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I was new to ereaders and picked the 600 and am extremely happy with it. I think quite a few of the unsatisfied owners are ones who owned the 500/505

Excellent for fiction - I don't read comics but have viewed books with images and had no issues. If you think the glare ( and there is a slight glare on the 600 depends how you angle it) won't bother you then I would say go for the newer technology.

Good luck making a decision, it took me ages!
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
snowcandy

Lol. Thanks Poshm! I am having loads of trouble deciding on a 6" that'll fit my needs. I have my Astak Pocket Pro and I love it to bits, but it is a tad too small for reading comics and such. Therefore I'm thinking of getting a 6" reader for that purpose, and also the occasional novel now and then.

I have seen some comparison videos of the 505 and 600 and I must say, the 505 does have a clearer screen. Not too sure how the 600 will look like when placed beside my Pocket Pro. But then again... it is rather hard to resist the 600's gorgeous design. Hmm... decisions decisions. :P

And how I wish that Sony supports folders like Astak does. Those folders do come in handy, especially since I'm the kind of person who tends to shove every single ebook I own into the reader. I wouldn't want to imagine having to go through a few hundred titles to find the one I'm looking for. :)
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
This might just be my experience, but I have tried reading comics on the PRS-600 and after a minute or two decided it simply doesn't work. Even in landscape mode a full-page comic is zoomed out so much you cannot read text balloons, and if you zoom in you're constantly manually moving the zoom spot to where you were - not to mention you'll have to zoom in again every pageturn.

Again, this might be just my bad experience with the two comics I tried, but I would advice getting something with a bigger screen.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
snowcandy

I normally read Japanese manga and the text is pretty clear on my PP, albeit a tad too tiny for my liking. I've seen this video on YouTube and it looks pretty acceptable to me, so I'll probably try my luck at a Sony reader since anything bigger would be too expensive.

Edit: Here's another one that I found on YouTube. The 505 seems to be able to handle comics well too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tePc-KxHqak

Last edited by snowcandy; 11-18-2009 at 09:04 AM.