Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by makue View Post
- - - -
rm: can't remove '/mnt/us/mrpackages/staging': Directory not empty

Hu oh... Got return code 1 . . .
Remove */mrpackages/staging.
MrPI may never work again until you do so.

Quote:
ok dudes, what ist happening here?

I really appreciated your help and everything is working and the
log shows no problems.

So, why are you bashing me now ad hominem?
Because in a shell script, a return code of non-zero is an error indication.
And just above that error report is the line which tells you what the problem was (which you need to fix).
Quote:
- - - - -
This entry in the log file had no impact to the successful installation of the extension at all.
Which has nothing at all to do with the error code, its cause, or the action which you should now take.

I assume you got that 'down-grader' from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

If you look (click) the last field that links back to the down-grader discussion thread, you will find that it uses the "poison filename" vector to execute its script.
(You could also examine the down-grader itself to learn that.)

That "poison filename" vector was used 5 years ago as the jail break vector:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186645

Amazon/Lab126 corrected their firmware for all firmware releases following 5.4.4.2

Your PW3 was first produced about 3 years AFTER that firmware correction (the first firmware version on the first PW3 was 5.6.1.1).

Translation of the above:
  • The filesystem status expected by MrPI is now corrupt.
    It is unlikely that MrPI will work properly until you remove that directory it wrote the error message about.
  • You have potentially installed (it should not have installed, but then again, that package's installation hasn't been tested in five years) a package that will not work on your device. All of the discussion at the thread linked to by the last field of the listing was about the KT and PW1.
  • Your posts read by a non-technical user would give them the idea that this 5 year out-of-date package would/will work as intended on a device as recent as yours.
    That is a major dis-service to all of our non-technical readers, most of whom are not even members.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:48 AM   #17
makue
Custom User Title
makue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Ok, I see.

There was/is no folder */mrpackages/staging, the folder mrpackages is empty

MRPI seems to be ok, another installation of kindle-linkss-0.24.N-r13420.tar.xz
showed no errors and ended with "linkss:install::done Success!" and the sreensaver is working

I've not intended to claim that "downgrader" is working on my PW3 and I wont even try to use this package on my precious PW3! Your strict warning is understood

Sorry for any confusion/dis-service I might have caused by using a misunderstandable wording
makue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert