Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2024, 05:52 PM   #316
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara BW, Aura One, Aura HD, Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
From what I've seen on Eink's site, it would appear that you can get a Carta 1300 film with Mobius substrate in a 9.7" size. This would suggest that the Eink Carta 1300 film can be applied to the plastic substrate if you are willing to order enough units.
I remember reading somewhere that Mobius is less good for use with a stylus because its flexibility makes it more prone to denting. I don't know how accurate that is, but Boox has started putting a glass layer over the screen on at least some its Mobius models, so there may well be something to it. If so, that would explain why Kobo switched from Mobius on the Forma to a glass substrate on the Sage.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 11:26 PM   #317
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmann View Post
I remember reading somewhere that Mobius is less good for use with a stylus because its flexibility makes it more prone to denting. I don't know how accurate that is, but Boox has started putting a glass layer over the screen on at least some its Mobius models, so there may well be something to it. If so, that would explain why Kobo switched from Mobius on the Forma to a glass substrate on the Sage.
The Mobius layer is the bottom of the screen stack so the antiglare, front light diffuser, touch layer, transparent electrode, etc. are all above it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 03:03 AM   #318
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Mobius layer is the bottom of the screen stack so the antiglare, front light diffuser, touch layer, transparent electrode, etc. are all above it.
Yes, I do actually know that. As I understand it, the fact that the bottom layer is flexible plastic rather than rigid glass means it's easier to depress the top layer, and thus to scratch the screen.

I've also remembered where I read that Mobius screens are more prone to scratches from a stylus. It's on this very site's wiki.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:21 AM   #319
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Depends on the power requirements of the processor and the power management circuitry. One criticism of the Sage and Elipsa is the sunxi power management sucking which is similar to complaints about some of the Pocketbook models using sunxi parts. Part of what Kobo did to reduce power use is to aggressively suspend with light on when not charging. This, IMHO, is likely one of the reasons for complaints about the buttons on the Sage since it takes a while to unsuspend.
I think it would be a good idea then to replace the sunxi parts and also use a more powerful battery. The Sage and Elipsa really do need to last a lot longer then they do before needing to be charged.

If Kobo was to use Mobious m with Carta 1300 on the Sage and Elipsa, putting in a bigger battery would not be an issue.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-18-2024 at 05:23 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 05:28 AM   #320
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes, I do actually know that. As I understand it, the fact that the bottom layer is flexible plastic rather than rigid glass means it's easier to depress the top layer, and thus to scratch the screen.

I've also remembered where I read that Mobius screens are more prone to scratches from a stylus. It's on this very site's wiki.
But who posted that and where did the info come from?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 05:49 AM   #321
lensmann
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But who posted that and where did the info come from?
It was DaleDe, who tends to be quite reliable. In truth, I wasn't trying to make a profound claim about the nature of Mobius e-ink displays, so if people are unconvinced by that particular explanation I am wholly content to leave it at that.
Old 02-18-2024, 06:28 AM   #322
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

I'm guessing that the wiki page may be jumping to some inaccurate conclusions. The footnotes/references don't mention anything about scratches?

I'm guessing that the substrate flexing doesn't contribute to the scratches, just that the front panel is more prone to scratches because the front panel is more flexible (the front panel is less resistant to scratches to make it more flexible, lighter, ...). Some glass substrate ereaders have been more prone to scratches then others.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 02:37 PM   #323
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm sorry to disagree with both you and DaleDe but you are not touching the bottom layer of the screen and the top layer which is where scratches would show has little to do with the bottom layer. If you are pressing hard enough to scratch the top layer, I would tend to be more worried that you are going to damage the top transparent electrode and the capsules in the eInk display.

Quote:
Scratching the top layer would depend more on what the top layer is made of rather than the substrate. I am aware of a couple of eInk devices that had a plastic top layer due to the size of the device and those were more prone to scratching than the ones that used a glass top layer. One example would be the Boox Max 3.
Old 02-18-2024, 06:08 PM   #324
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I'm sorry to disagree with both you and DaleDe but you are not touching the bottom layer of the screen and the top layer which is where scratches would show has little to do with the bottom layer. If you are pressing hard enough to scratch the top layer, I would tend to be more worried that you are going to damage the top transparent electrode and the capsules in the eInk display.
I think so.

Also decent ereaders have an alloy chassis that completely support the rear glass of the substrate; I can't see the advantage of mobius for those. Some older ones had a cut out for the LiPoly Cell (Battery) and with age they swell, then the rear substrate cracks.

The advantage of Mobius is for larger screens where the chassis can flex. I've not taken apart a Forma, so I don't know why it uses a Mobius panel.

If a plastic top layer scratches it's because something harder and more abrasive than stylus has been used, or it's the wrong kind of plastic.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:12 AM   #325
Rosales
Rosales began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa 2e
April 15th seems to be an important date in the N428 filing, along with June 22 for the N365.

Does anyone know if similar dates were in previous filings, and what significance they had?

(From https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/NOIKBN428 & https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/NOIKBN365)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 13.49.56.png
Views:	76
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	206572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 13.57.36.png
Views:	70
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	206573  
Rosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:09 PM   #326
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosales View Post
April 15th seems to be an important date in the N428 filing, along with June 22 for the N365.

Does anyone know if similar dates were in previous filings, and what significance they had?

(From https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/NOIKBN428 & https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/NOIKBN365)
That date is the expiry of the confidentiality request. So 180 days after the original request date of 2023-Oct-18. Going by past requests, the device will be released 4-6 weeks prior to the expiry of that request. So the N428 device is likely to be released around mid-March, 2024. Of course, any relationship between that date and the actual release date is purely coincidental.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:06 PM   #327
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
The confidentiality letter for the N428 was dated 31 Aug 2023, requesting 180 days, which gets us to 27 Feb 2024.
If this is correct, has anyone seen anything about the N428?
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 02:06 PM   #328
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
The confidentiality letter for the N428 was dated 31 Aug 2023, requesting 180 days, which gets us to 27 Feb 2024.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
If this is correct, has anyone seen anything about the N428?
The confidentiality request letter may have been written on 2023-Aug-31 but the FCC's date on it is 2023-Oct-18. That pushes the expiry date to 2024-Apr-15.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:51 AM   #329
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
The confidentiality request letter may have been written on 2023-Aug-31 but the FCC's date on it is 2023-Oct-18. That pushes the expiry date to 2024-Apr-15.
The different dates are strange. How can it take over a month to get to the FCC?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 02:11 PM   #330
RowdyRuff
Connoisseur
RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RowdyRuff has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Forma, Nook ST
Another FCC filing for NOIKBN367. Guessing it's for a chassis colour variant...
RowdyRuff is offline   Reply With Quote