Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2020, 09:07 PM   #1
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
Kindle for PC force updated to version 1.30.0--possible to revert to earlier version?

I started my Kindle for PC software last night, and without prompting or seeking my permission, it updated itself to version 1.30. (Windows 10)

Has this happened to anyone else? Do you know if there is any way to undo it?

(edited for concision)

Last edited by iBeth; 10-23-2020 at 09:28 PM. Reason: to be more concise
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
See the thread Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 (and later) and KFX in calibre
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2020, 09:27 PM   #3
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
Thank you! I just looked at it and it's exactly what I needed to know. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
YES, IT HAPPENED...

This happened to me yesterday. And I've had mine NOT checked for automatic updates and have had it that way for a number of years.

I removed the new version and reinstalled (and made certain everything was the way it should be, of course), and then registered it on Amazon and now everything is fine.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
YES, IT HAPPENED...

This happened to me yesterday. And I've had mine NOT checked for automatic updates and have had it that way for a number of years.

I removed the new version and reinstalled (and made certain everything was the way it should be, of course), and then registered it on Amazon and now everything is fine.
Same here.

I've always had it set NOT to automatically update, and I check that every once in a while to make sure it's right.

Started K4PC, said there was an update, chose to "Ignore" this one. Definately chose ignore. SURE about it.

Ran fine. Shut it down.

Later in the afternoon, opened K4PC again. Started update. Didn't ask. Didn't warn. Just updated.

Uninstalled and started over, back to where it's all good now. But I expect that they'll force another update when they feel like it.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I wonder if the latest Windows update unchecked the option. I know the latest Windows update installed the Office 365 setup on my laptop, which caused havoc for my old version of Office that I prefer.

I paused Win updates for now, and will most likely keep doing that. I've no interest in Office 365, my 2003 version does all I need it to do, without subscribing to 365.

I'll launch Kindle later and see if mine does it.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I wonder if the latest Windows update unchecked the option..
I had mine set correctly early in the day. I checked it after the update was offered. Few hours later, it updated anyway. No windows update in-between.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just ran 1.17 and I was asked if I wanted to update to 1.30. I clicked to not update.

Ran it again and got updated. So I've reinstalled 1.17. It says on the about screen that I last updated today. So I'll see how it goes from here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:26 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I wonder if the latest Windows update unchecked the option. I know the latest Windows update installed the Office 365 setup on my laptop, which caused havoc for my old version of Office that I prefer.
My opinion is that the K4PC update had nothing to do with Windows Updates. It updated on my Windows 10 laptop and on 3 different Windows VMs including one running the latest Windows Insider flavour of Windows 10 and one running Windows 7.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's Amazon's forced update. But I did reinstall 1.17 and it's not updating.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I forgot to add to my earlier post in this thread that I have a Mac.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:09 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I forgot to add to my earlier post in this thread that I have a Mac.
Now I get to spin up the Mac VM and see what happens there.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:31 AM   #13
osarok
osarok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi
Angry It won't stop force updating

I had version 1.24.51068 installed, with automatic updates turned off. Today a popup offered an update to version 1.30 and I rejected it, choosing to ignore this version next time.

After closing the program and opening it again the program automatically updated. I uninstalled it and reininstalled the old version, turning off automatic updates. Closed and restarted, force updated again.

Since then I have uninstalled it three times, removed the My Kindle contents folder, reinstalled the old version, turned off automatic updates, closed the program and restarted it... only for it to immediately force update to 1.30.
osarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #14
kirk8677
Enthusiast
kirk8677 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I tend to wonder if, at some point, Amazon will simply pull support entirely for version 1.17, and at that point de-DRMing books will not be possible, at least without some new piece of software or something else I'm not aware of.

This would be a sad day indeed for Calibre users, as one would be forced to stay in Amazon's woefully inadequate sandbox.
kirk8677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk8677 View Post
I tend to wonder if, at some point, Amazon will simply pull support entirely for version 1.17, and at that point de-DRMing books will not be possible, at least without some new piece of software or something else I'm not aware of.

This would be a sad day indeed for Calibre users, as one would be forced to stay in Amazon's woefully inadequate sandbox.
Indeed. The recent B&N issues highlight why those who buy ebooks should be able to make sure they actually own them.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote