Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #1
Cybermidas
Enthusiast
Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Indic fonts on Kindle Keyboard 3

I have a kindle keyboard 3. I tried to read bengali ebooks there. Bengali is a language of the indic language group. It has complex glyphs.

The kindle keyboard cannot show the complex glyphs. It breaks them into simple ones and the result is unreadable.

I have see Kindle paperwhite can display complex glyphs properly, without any modifications.

Can anyone help me by telling me how can I use the same firmware as kindle paperwhite (atleast the rendering engine) in kindle keyboard?
Cybermidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermidas View Post
I have a kindle keyboard 3. I tried to read bengali ebooks there. Bengali is a language of the indic language group. It has complex glyphs.
Kindles support alphabets with complex layouts only in AZW3 files. If you used Calibre to convert the epub, make sure to select AZW3 (not MOBI!) as the output format.

I've attached a test file with an embedded Noto Sans Bengali font that should work on your K3. (Test it with/without the publisher font.)

If it doesn't work, install the jailbreak and the font hack and override code2000 with Noto Sans Bengali.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Noto_Sans_Bengali_Test.png
Views:	118
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	152283  
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 Noto_Sans_Bengali_Test.azw3 (148.9 KB, 123 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #3
Cybermidas
Enthusiast
Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cybermidas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks a lot Doitsu!!!

I converted the book I had to AZW3 and it reads correctly.

Just a query (as it does not impact my reading anyway), the title in the home screen is still showing up as simple glyphs. Is there anyway possible to fix this.
Though I wouldn't worry too much about that if there is no such way to do this.

Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:42 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermidas View Post
Just a query (as it does not impact my reading anyway), the title in the home screen is still showing up as simple glyphs. Is there anyway possible to fix this.
The only way to fix this is to install a font hack and override the UI font. (For more information see NiLuJe's font hack post.)
It'd probably be easier to simply use transliterated Bengali for the author and title metadata information.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
Cybermidas
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The only way to fix this is to install a font hack and override the UI font. (For more information see NiLuJe's font hack post.)
It'd probably be easier to simply use transliterated Bengali for the author and title metadata information.
Yes. I thought so.

Not worth the effort i feel. I am happy as long as I can read in peace. Its been 5 years and this amazing piece of gadget is still running fine.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Advert