Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
failure1
failure1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
chapter splitting

I am desperate. For the third time, the Calibre editor has automatically split my html files in the editor and ruined the formatting. splits them into "split_000 and split_001" I need to shut this off and I don't know how. Can't find anything in the instructions or online.
failure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How was the ePub fiie created - if via calibre conversion, have a look at the ePub Output settings.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by failure1 View Post
I am desperate. For the third time, the Calibre editor has automatically split my html files in the editor and ruined the formatting. splits them into "split_000 and split_001" I need to shut this off and I don't know how. Can't find anything in the instructions or online.
There are 2 options this could be:

If you're speaking of the chapters getting split into their own individual files, then that's under Structure Detection.

You'll want to erase what's in the Detect chapters at (Xpath expression) box.

Under EPUB Output, another option you might be looking for is Split files larger than.

By default, it's 260 KB. Raise that to something much higher, like 5000, then Calibre wouldn't split as often.

Note: This option is there because of older ereaders. If individual files are too large, the ereaders would crash or take extremely long to change pages, etc. It's good practice to have a file-per-chapter and reasonable filesizes.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Sorry, but the editor does NOT split without user input.
I suspect, as BR did. You are converting
Normal config has it split on headers... BUT
there is a (old ?) EPUB setting for Adobe that splits to keep files that make up the EPUB, under 260K (the devices choked on bigger pieces)
I will leave it to yo to explore EPUB conversion settings

NIJA'd by Tex
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No to mention that splitting files does not "ruin" their formatting. Nor does theactual editor ever split files without the user asking it to.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:16 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I've never seen the editor do file splitting on its own though converting to epub will split files at headers. This seems to be most popular in two cases, the first being the title page where the book title gets a <h1> tag and the author a <h2> (a total misuse of header tags but that's a rant for another day...), the second being where the entire text of the ebook is stuffed into a single file.

You could simply select both files in the file browser, right click and merge for the first case.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chapter, editor, html, split