Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-31-2015, 05:15 AM   #91
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're mistaken in claiming that these are not available as ebooks. Most, if not all, are.
I myself hope that one day, the Gardener edition of Ulysses will be available as a Kindle ebook with page numbers...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:56 AM   #92
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I myself hope that one day, the Gardener edition of Ulysses will be available as a Kindle ebook with page numbers...
I'm not sure what you mean by "the Gardener edition", but this version is available, and it apparently does have page numbers: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67080

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2015, 08:17 AM   #93
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Do you mean the Gabler edition? I'm not familiar with a Gardener edition.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:00 PM   #94
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
If you don't even read this thread your wish cannot be too urgent, I guess...

And, as issybird said, it's the Gabler edtion (or Garland, if you want to go by publisher.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
We have a library here at MR, and sometimes you have to ook no further to find the best editions you can hope for for free right here:
Complete Joyce

Ulysses Variorum Edition

Complete Melville

Moby-Dick
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:08 PM   #95
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Do you mean the Gabler edition? I'm not familiar with a Gardener edition.
Gabler Gardener, at least they are both critics...
And I find it peculiar that this edition would be available here for free considering that it contains heavy editorial work that _should_ still be copyrighted... Or am I seeing something wroing here....?

Last edited by johnnyb; 10-31-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Advert
Old 10-31-2015, 07:21 PM   #96
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Virginia Lanier's Bloodhound series. I think the last two are in ebook because that clause was in those later books, but the earliest in the series didn't account for ebooks. She was in her 90s when she finished the last one and it was a few years before ebooks took off. If anyone at the estate is paying any attention to the books, they don't appear to have sold the e-rights and they don't appear to be bringing the books to ebook.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:56 AM   #97
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
I would certainly like to have Stephan Grundy's Rhinegold and Gilgamesh as ebooks.

I have both as pbooks but with somewhat small text.

Rhinegold is an outstanding fantasy based in the Wagnerian universe.

I haven't yet read the Gilgamesh.

I have made several searches for the books, if I have overlooked them don't hesitate to correct me.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #98
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
I would certainly like to have Stephan Grundy's Rhinegold and Gilgamesh as ebooks.

I have both as pbooks but with somewhat small text.

Rhinegold is an outstanding fantasy based in the Wagnerian universe.

I haven't yet read the Gilgamesh.

I have made several searches for the books, if I have overlooked them don't hesitate to correct me.
Haven't noticed a whole lot of hesitation to correct people around here.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #99
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Gabler Gardener, at least they are both critics...
And I find it peculiar that this edition would be available here for free considering that it contains heavy editorial work that _should_ still be copyrighted... Or am I seeing something wroing here....?
Gabler’s Ulysses text is (unlike his editorial remarks) not copyrighted in the EU because it was published during the 70-year protection period and became public domain in 2012 like everything else by Joyce that was (re-)published before 2012. For the US it’s different.

ETA: The page numbers in my variorum edition are from the first edition, of course, not from the Garland volumes.

Last edited by pynch; 11-02-2015 at 01:23 PM.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #100
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
Gabler’s Ulysses text is (unlike his editorial remarks) not copyrighted in the EU because it was published during the 70-year protection period and became public domain in 2012 like everything else by Joyce that was (re-)published before 2012. For the US it’s different.
Hey that's good to know, seems plausible, it's Joyce's text after all...
Old 11-03-2015, 02:38 AM   #101
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Most of the juvenile and young adult fiction I still love to read by the favourite authors of my youth. The publisher which holds the rights to those books still doesn't believe in ebooks.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #102
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The short story anthologies from Playboy. They really did publish some quality fiction with authors like Roald Dahl, Richard Matheson, Ray Bradbury, Shirley Jackson, John Updike, Jack Kerouac, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Vladimir Nabokov, Norman Mailer, Joseph Heller, Kurt Vonnegut, Margaret Atwood, Ian Fleming, and others.

Specifically:

Playboy Stories: The Best of Forty Years of Short Fiction

The Playboy Book of Horror and the Supernatural

The Playboy Book of Science Fiction and Fantasy

Also Michael Moorcock's The Cornelius Chronicles: The Final Programme / A Cure for Cancer / The English Assassin / The Condition of Muzak
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #103
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The short story anthologies from Playboy. They really did publish some quality fiction with authors like Roald Dahl, Richard Matheson, Ray Bradbury, Shirley Jackson, John Updike, Jack Kerouac, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Vladimir Nabokov, Norman Mailer, Joseph Heller, Kurt Vonnegut, Margaret Atwood, Ian Fleming, and others.

Specifically:

Playboy Stories: The Best of Forty Years of Short Fiction

The Playboy Book of Horror and the Supernatural

The Playboy Book of Science Fiction and Fantasy

Also Michael Moorcock's The Cornelius Chronicles: The Final Programme / A Cure for Cancer / The English Assassin / The Condition of Muzak
The Moorcock books are coming out in ebook in early 20016 - Feb through May, at least in the US.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:50 AM   #104
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The Moorcock books are coming out in ebook in early 20016 - Feb through May, at least in the US.
That is a long wait! I doubt there'll still be paperbooks by then (if we even still exist then!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:38 AM   #105
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
My Story (1961) by Gemma La Guardia Gluck

Even better, the renamed, expanded edition:

Fiorello's Sister: Gemma La Guardia Gluck's Story (Religion, Theology and the Holocaust) (2007) by Gemma La Guardia Gluck
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote