Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Ben
Edge User

Cool Looking for a few details before taking the plunge...

I was just currious on the features of the EE, I have seen a few videos that talk about a camera not being active and other small things independent from the os not being 2.2 etc...

Is there a link which gives the details of all the working features on the EE and maybe a list of features not currently active yet on the horizon?

I'm on the fence about getting the EE or the NI adam. both have their plus sides and their down sides... I understand they could be considered completely different products, but they are close enough for a in depth review by my part since I need to convince the wife this will work for me for work as well as in school where everything I have for manuals is in pdf format or epub.

I love that EE already comes with documents to go, so this already gives it the upper hand for using it at work, but on travel I would love to watch vids on a larger screen then my iPod touch.

Any direction for this would be greatly appreceated.

thanks,

Ben

Old 10-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

The camera does work. The only thing promised but not delivered that depends on Android 2.2 (Froyo) is full Flash support, but the current eDGe can play some flash videos thanks to a recent update, including those on YouTube. Froyo is due to land on the eDGe within the next 2 months.

The one key factor between the EE and NI Adam is that the EE's eInk screen is much much easier on the eyes (for most people) than a backlit LCD screen. Once you have an eDGe, you can compare the same eBook or PDF on both the eInk and LCD side and you'll immediately recognize and appreciate the difference.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the eInk side is excellent for writing on because it only recognizes the stylus. LCDs like the Adam, and the LCD side of the eDGe will also register palms and shirt cuffs, which gets annoying fast

Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Ben
Edge User

Chalk up another mark for the EE... I saw that there was limited support for video file formats, most of my movies that I rip out are designed for my iPod touch, I believe that is MP4 format.. I thought I saw that as one of the listed formats that are supported by EE, what type of quality on playback have you all seen with the EE?

Thanks and im sorry for all the questions.

Ben

Old 10-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

Questions are more than welcome

Video support is limited - by Android. Playback looks great when the format is one suitable for the eDGe (generally 480p; 720p and definitely 1080p don't work well at all). One user recently posted that transcoding for an iPod generally works. If you're able to post a sample somewhere I could test it for you.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
cheyennedonna
Edge User

I've been waiting all year for Adam, but, if I had to choose one I would pick the edge. It is the most useful piece of tech I own for school and will be useful in the future, as I plan on teaching. I have a couple of issues with the PDF files, not able to rotate is my main complaint. I also would like the ability to type text into the journal. I don't have any problem watching video and love having the dual screens.

Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
jsfiller
Edge User

The Adam should be out shortly, but from what I've seen, it is an iPad competitor, not an Edge competitor. The Edge is designed to be used in an academic setting, and so it focuses its features on that. The Adam is just a tablet PC. I also think the Adam looks great, but even if they provide the ability to annotate PDFs or other books, I don't think it will suit my needs as well as the Edge. The eink and two screens are invaluable to me. However, I agree with Cheyennedonna. I need the ability to rotate the eink screen and I also think being able to type into the Journal would be really beneficial.

By the way, is typing into the Journal officially a feature request? I'd like to add my +1.

Last edited by jsfiller; 10-11-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
Ben
Edge User

i dont believe that rotating a pdf is that much of a deal for me at this time, who knows what the future holds though. I have some videos that i created that I can play on my Pandigital Novel both rooted and unrooted. Im am assuming that if Andriod played that it could be safe to assume that it would play on this device. I need to stew on it another day or so but I think I know which route I am going to take. Thanks for all of the help everyone, you have been really helpful!!!

Ben

Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
Dr. T
Edge User

Ben, for what it is worth, I agonized over a similar decision: EE or a tablet netbook. Despite the issues I mentioned in other posts (especially the one about EE for academics), I have been very pleased with the versatility and utility of the eDGe. The other things that have mitigated my disappointment with some of the features are the constant improvements being put out by the company and the incredibly helpful people on this forum. I have never seen a company that listens to customer feedback as much as this one... and that explains the die-hard EE fans on this site. Good luck with your decision... you probably can't go too wrong.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
jaggy
Edge User

Hello Ben

I'm in a similar position, pondering about the Edge in comparison to new tablets coming on the market. And certainly, this forum is great for finding out more about the Edge.

Some versions of the Notion Ink tablet will have a pixelqi screen, so it should be much better than a regular lcd, though may not be as good as e-ink. I'm not sure if stylus/pen input is available.

The Edge will be bulkier than a tablet, though you'll get much more functionality. And if pdf reading/annotating is an issue, then you would need to find out what kind of s/w the tablets have. Generally, if there they're not windows based machines, their pdf features are limited. The Edge, while it has some limits with pdfs appears to be the most advanced non-windows machine.

And it's worth bearing in mind that the Edge is a 1st Generation machine, so they will be niggles and some things will require more work/time. There are many good threads on this forum which give info about the various features of the Edge, and I'd recommend going through and reading them. While not owning an Edge (yet?!), I feel like I've gained a lot of knowledge about its abilities and current short-comings from this forum.

Maybe it's worth you making a further list of what specific features you desire/how you want to use the Edge - I'm sure others on the forum will feedback

Last edited by jaggy; 10-12-2010 at 08:15 AM.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
Ben
Edge User

Cool

Thanks for all of the wonderful input on this device... I am happy to say that I made my decision and will have my EE in hand in 3 to 5 days...

So, is there anything special I need to know about getting this thing up and running when I get it... OS patches etc...

Thanks again for everything...

Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Thanks for all of the wonderful input on this device... I am happy to say that I made my decision and will have my EE in hand in 3 to 5 days...

So, is there anything special I need to know about getting this thing up and running when I get it... OS patches etc...

Thanks again for everything...
After you register your edge check for updates.

Make sure all your accounts, Adobe, Edge, and any other place you purchase eBooks from all use the same email log in or DRM will keep you from reading them.
Search the forum for links to useful app apk's
Enjoy your purchase!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
borisb
Edge User

...and feel free to ask questions, even "stupid" ones

Old 10-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
Ben
Edge User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
...and feel free to ask questions, even "stupid" ones

I look at this way and tell people this all the time...

"There are no stupid questions... Just stupid people"

Thanks again for everything,

Ben

Old 10-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Ben
Edge User

<sigh>

got my EE today... ran home at lunch to get it... put in a brand new 16gb SD card says its damaged and needs to be reformatted...that is fine.. i can reformat it in a pc... if I could get the *&##@5^ out... is there a special trick to getting these out... when I push down it does not spring out... its only been unpackaged for 15 min...

Ben

Old 10-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
borisb
Edge User

Try pushing down a bit further...?