Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #1
asilentstranger
asilentstranger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle dx
Lit -> Mobi Linebreak after italic

So, I've got a few lit books that I wanted to convert to Mobi format so that i could read them on my kindle. I had no problems converting the book, except that certain words were italicized and line breaks were inserted before and after these words.

Here's a bit of text as an example:

That was almost six years ago, and
Quinn
still feels like a failure. The entire task force hasn't made a single significant recovery or arrest. Yet, there also hasn't been a single localized
nuclear event
. So through a course of logic only a government agency is capable of,
Quinn's
mission has been

this is just an example, but that's how the converted mobi file reads, and the lit file looks perfectly normal, no line break, no italics.

now, i'm still fairly new to calibre, but is there a way to prevent it from making these line breaks?
asilentstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
It's likely that something already exists in the Lit file to cause that. Open a bug with the book at bugs.calibre-ebook.com. It might be fixable in one way or another. You may also try using the remove header/footer regex options to see if you can delete the offending code causing the wrap yourself.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Without seeing the LIT I wouldn't be 100% sure but I've seen problems like this when the LIT has been created from an MSWord document that has 'smart tags' enabled.

If you are comfortable with HTML and you want to take the time to fix it you can extract the HTML out of the LIT using the Convert - Debug option. Then open the HTML file in a text editor and remove the not-so-smart tags manually before reimporting the HTML into Calibre.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I've seen italics completely dropped (as in, text becomes un-italicized) in the conversion process from LIT to EPUB - so watch for that also.

You can try the advanced structure detection also - had a little luck with this - under Convert->Structure Detection-> "preprocess file to possibly improve structure detection".
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
WilliamHS
WilliamHS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I found when formatting for Kindle that using the <br> at the end of each line instead of <P>.....</P> bracketing the paragraph solves the italics text linebreaks.

No idea why. But I use notepad to edit the code...delete all <P> and then replace </P> with <BR>. Fairly simple with the replace search command, only takes me a few seconds to do the fix! Now the italics show up and don't cause the linebreak.
WilliamHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert