Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: New Sony by Christmas?
Yes, Sony unveils the PRS 510 25 40.98%
No, Sony releases a firmware update for 505 18 29.51%
Yes Sony unveils PRS 510 and Releases Firmware update for 505 14 22.95%
No, Kindle Crushes the competition and Sony disappears into Ebook History 6 9.84%
Who cares I can't Read! 3 4.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Model life cycle

Would it be safe to say that Sony Has released a New Reader annually since the 500 debuted? If so who thinks we will be seeing a new model for the Holiday Season?

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Would it be safe to say that Sony Has released a New Reader annually since the 500 debuted? If so who thinks we will be seeing a new model for the Holiday Season?

JJ
I think we will see either a new model, but more likely the update firmware with DE support and hopefully some better navigation options. Maybe even dictionary support which is about the only feature that Sony lacks compared to Kindle/CyBook.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I voted the way I'm hoping: upgrade for 500 and 505 (yes, both - cuz I don't want to be left out of this party) and a new 510 with wifi for downloading and perhaps a keyboard (internal? external? touchscreen?). Somehow I doubt a new model will be out by Christmas but again I'm hoping.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I voted the way I'm hoping: upgrade for 500 and 505 (yes, both - cuz I don't want to be left out of this party) and a new 510 with wifi for downloading and perhaps a keyboard (internal? external? touchscreen?). Somehow I doubt a new model will be out by Christmas but again I'm hoping.
VR,
I was just looking at when the 500 was released and then the 505 came out 13 months later. I really would like to see the Adobe partnership myself.

JJ

P.S. VR has anyone told you that you look alot like Parris Hilton??
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
VR,
I was just looking at when the 500 was released and then the 505 came out 13 months later. I really would like to see the Adobe partnership myself.

JJ

P.S. VR has anyone told you that you look alot like Parris Hilton??
Yeah. She's a real dog, eh?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #6
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
uhhh.. must be a new 510 by xmas cuz the new 505 FW is out..

F.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I cannot vote. The option I want isn't there. There isn't going to be a new model by Christmas this year.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'm with Jon, I don't think Sony will release a new model.

My vote is they repackage the 505 and hype it up, like they did for the Aug release and for Valentines day.

I saw the 505 as enhancements to the 500 with not a lot of new functionality. Which made it easy for them to come out with a new model the next year.

All the new models e-Inks coming out with better more features than SONY's existing products sony is going to have to beef up it's next product to stay ahead of competition.
That will take more time than one year.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #9
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I keep wanting to answer but there is no "Who cares I can Read!" option

While the new firmware gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, I don't have any epub books on the reader and with the fine conversion tools Calibre gives me I don't see the pressing need for it (for me personally) although I think a unified, open file format is a great idea (but, says the cynic in me, how many times have I seen that fail?). And PDFs still suck IMHO, both intrinsically as a format and on my reader, even with the improved readability. As a community, we would be much better off trying to find better ways to convert PDFs to a more flexible format without ugly formatting and/or ugly reflow hacks and weird linebreaks.

I was happy before the firmware fix, and Sony could release newer models until the cows come home without any updates to the 505 - until this baby breaks or the iliad drops in price substantially, I'm sticking with the 505.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If Sony has any smarts, they will wait until the new larger screens are available and then come out with a new model. But I don't think Sony is going to announce a new model until they actually can start selling.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote