Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
overbarg
overbarg began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
4.4 disable forced sync when wireless is turned on?

So, I usually leave my wireless disabled... Until I want to load a book, which is when I enable it and connect to my library with the browser.

I noticed that with the 4? series of firmware, that when you turn the wifi on and connect, that it automatically syncs and updates. This happens regardless of the sync settings (which I have disabled).

Does anyone know how to disable this behavior? I'd like to pin my device to a particular firmware version. It has to be a 4 series firmware as that series has the large file download bug fixed.

Thanks all!l
overbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
No, it isn't possible to stop that.

But, as the 4.4.x firmware is the latest release, what's the issue? It isn't going to downgrade to an older firmware. And it is unlikely that that particular bug will turn up in the next firmware version released.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Is that a bug or a feature? Kobo seems to be increasingly reluctant to allow customers to bypass their online "services".
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
overbarg
overbarg began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
I was on a very restricted data connection and didn't catch the sync fast enough to cancel the download of the update. That was really annoying.

Plus, they always seem to introduce new bugs in firmware version updates, so I like to hold off on updating until they have been resolved. There are always bugs, I know being a software developer myself... a new release always means new bugs until things settle out.

Thanks for the information!

Last edited by overbarg; 06-26-2017 at 09:23 AM.
overbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Are they no longer using info from the database "User" data elements, to make that connection? Perhaps a fake "Affiliate"?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #6
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbarg View Post
I was on a very restricted data connection and didn't catch the sync fast enough to cancel the download of the update. That was really annoying.

Plus, they always seem to introduce new bugs in firmware version updates, so I like to hold off on updating until they have been resolved. There are always bugs, I know being a software developer myself... a new release always means new bugs until things settle out.

Thanks for the information!
GeoffR's patches contain a "Block WiFi firmware upgrade" patch. Read the warning that is included in the patch file!
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Are they no longer using info from the database "User" data elements, to make that connection? Perhaps a fake "Affiliate"?
Nothing in the user details are used when looking for firmware updates. But, it looks like a fake affiliate might work. A quick test on some here and I'm not getting an update available response. But, I'm testing using the URL not the device, so it might replace the affiliate with a valid one in the request. Also, the affiliate is used for other things and an invalid value might affect them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote