Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-31-2018, 03:42 PM   #31
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Harlequin, the big romance publisher, is changing the way they supply ebooks bought directly on their web site. It will no longer be possible to download copies of your ebooks, you will only be able to access them through web browsers and the supplied app.

See their announcement on their website

This does mean that you will not be able to download books from the Harlequin web site to Adobe Digital Editions. (Edit: Confirmed with Harlequin tech support.)

So if you want your own back-ups of your ebooks, make sure you download them before the 12th. That's only two weeks away!

Thanks to septentrion for the news.
Thanks...I guess I'll be using the last of my Rewards points before the 12th to be on the safe side
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:38 PM   #32
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
They replied to my email that I was locked out and told me the limit was three books for the points-to-coupon usage, but never unlocked my account.

Oh well. It's not like I'll run out of books to read in this lifetime. I still haven't read a lot of my 2011 haul!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2018, 08:18 AM   #33
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
They replied to my email that I was locked out and told me the limit was three books for the points-to-coupon usage, but never unlocked my account.

Oh well. It's not like I'll run out of books to read in this lifetime. I still haven't read a lot of my 2011 haul!
I'd email them back and demand they unlock your account. You have to be direct with them. Do two at a time and you should be okay.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:26 PM   #34
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
It was unlocked when I got home from work today. I'm spreading out my purchases, not sure if I want to tempt fate with a third purchase even though I was told that's the limit!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:04 AM   #35
MobileJanie
Zealot
MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
The 'points lockout' is only for redeeming the points, you can only redeem three times in - they say - three days, but it often cuts back in after two days.

Once you've redeemed the points i.e. received the voucher codes, you can use as many of those as you like, I used ten yesterday, - all the December releases I was interested in buying - which has just finished off my rewards points.

I'm not intending to buy another device to read on, but as someone said earlier, it will be interesting to see if we can buy using the app, then try to fix the file for use on regular e-ink readers.
MobileJanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2018, 01:52 AM   #36
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileJanie View Post
I'm not intending to buy another device to read on, but as someone said earlier, it will be interesting to see if we can buy using the app, then try to fix the file for use on regular e-ink readers.
I'd say this is unlikely but that is not to say it is not worth a try. The most likely scenario is that downloads to the apps will incorporate some form of drm encryption which has not been reverse engineered. It is unlikely that anyone will bother working on it, given that the books will still be available from other sources and the demand for drm removal relatively low.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Another victim of Digital Restrictions Manglement.
Indeed this will do nothing to stop pirates.
It's just self-inflicted doom.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #38
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

dang'it, i'm about 300 points from one more free e'book
Old 11-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Question. I stopped buying from Harlequin back when they still had LIT. Is there any benefit in re-downloading all the books I've previously downloaded as LIT (and converted to EPUB with Calibre) in Adobe EPUB?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Question. I stopped buying from Harlequin back when they still had LIT. Is there any benefit in re-downloading all the books I've previously downloaded as LIT (and converted to EPUB with Calibre) in Adobe EPUB?
They no longer have lit, so if an available title redownloaded it will be in epub only but most titles I bought in lit are no longer there.

The only benefit would be the formatting would be original. I'd rather have originals in epub than a converted copy but that's just me.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Blossom; 11-08-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
dang'it, i'm about 300 points from one more free e'book
50 points here. They haven't had any free activities in a very long time.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 11-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #42
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
It's just possible that newer downloads would have some typo/formatting fixes in them.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #43
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
They no longer have lit, so if an available title redownloaded it will be in epub only but most titles I bought in lit are no longer there.
That would be because they no longer have them.

Under Torstar Harlequin would routinely revert rights to most backlist titles upon request after the initial print run sold out. Most of those older titles have been reissued by the authors.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #44
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's just possible that newer downloads would have some typo/formatting fixes in them.
Thanks. I never bothered setting up ADE again after the Adobe hack years ago (been buying from Amazon or Kobo). Doesn't seem worth the effort considering I don't have any glaring complaints with the Calibre-converted epubs.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #45
gabby98
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
50 points here. They haven't had any free activities in a very long time.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks. I never bothered setting up ADE again after the Adobe hack years ago (been buying from Amazon or Kobo). Doesn't seem worth the effort considering I don't have any glaring complaints with the Calibre-converted epubs.
Yea, I noticed that too...sucks