Old 01-30-2023, 08:11 AM   #1
Strrav
Enthusiast
Strrav began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O edition 2
impossible to re install koreader "generator error"

hello
after an automatic update of my kobo H2O V2 , I can't reinstall Koreader
clic on Nickelmenu give a pop up : " generator error" ...
clic in generator error : kfmon: error checking':/tmp/kfmon-ipc.ctl': stat: No such file or directory (snc/generator_c.c:93)
I like very much Koreader which is really better than the kobo interface !

I Just followed this thread, but no solution.

"Connect your Kobo eReader to your computer over USB.
Download KoboRoot.tgz (release notes) into KOBOeReader/.kobo. You may need to show hidden files to see the folder.
Safely eject your eReader and wait for it to reboot.
Ensure there is a new menu item in the top-left main menu entitled NickelMenu (it will appear in the bottom-right on firmware 4.23.15505+).
Connect you Kobo eReader to your computer again and create a new file (of any type) named KOBOeReader/.adds/nm/config, and follow the instructions in KOBOeReader/.adds/nm/doc to configure NickelMenu."

Is there a detailed thread to solve the problem ? thanks

Last edited by Strrav; 01-30-2023 at 08:20 AM.
Strrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:57 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That's perfectly normal after a FW update, you'll just have to reinstall KFMon.

The OCP thread has a simple KFMon package just for that purpose.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2023, 04:41 AM   #3
Strrav
Enthusiast

bonjour

good morning
I followed your instructions with the one click for Mac, everything seems to have happened normally with the Mac terminal. But after rebooting several times, my Kobo H2O V2. displays nickel menu with 2 options koreader and Plato, if I choose one of the options my reader is completely blocked and I have to reboot...I also Try to install only koreader, but same result...
What should I do? Thanks

Last edited by Strrav; 01-31-2023 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:49 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If your device is a revision 1 (i.e., the original run of H2O²), FW 4.35 introduced a regression that misidentifies it as a revision 2. That will break custom applications in fun and interesting ways.

(c.f., https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=247 and the ensuing investigation).
Old 01-31-2023, 04:29 PM   #5
Strrav
Enthusiast

Thanks for your answer.
But, No, it is a KOBO aura H2O edition 2 and it dont work...
I tried with the different install for Mac (OCP-Plato-0.9.34_KOReader-v2022-1.11, OCP-KOReader-v2022.11 ...)
perhaps I have to erase some folders on my kobo ?? to clean the install ?
Advert
Old 02-01-2023, 02:45 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Revision doesn't mean Edition in that context (blame Rakuten's terrible naming scheme).

There was a hardware revision of the Aura H2O Edition 2; it is identified as a completely different device because of key incompatibilities between how the two revisions function.

FW 4.35 broke that and fails to identify a rev1 as such, instead presenting it as a rev2. This breaks custom applications.

i.e., I *am* talking about H2O²r1 vs. H2O²r2, NOT H2O vs. H2O².
Old 02-03-2023, 10:07 AM   #7
Strrav
Enthusiast

Donc on ne peut plus installer koreader après la dernière revision ? FW 4.35 ?
Old 02-03-2023, 02:13 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Not without some extra steps (taking a page from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=252), namely, a custom NickelMenu config entry:

Code:
# Launch KOReader directly via NM after fixing the FW 4.35 H2O²r1 mess
menu_item : main : KOReader NM : cmd_spawn : sed -i '$s/.$/4/' /mnt/onboard/.kobo/version
                  chain_always : cmd_spawn : quiet : exec /mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/koreader.sh
Old 02-04-2023, 12:46 PM   #9
Strrav
Enthusiast

merci
que dois je faire du code ? comment ça marche?
Code:
menu_item : main : KOReader NM : cmd_spawn : sed -i '$s/.$/4/' /mnt/onboard/.kobo/version
Old 02-05-2023, 02:23 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The OCP ships with a commented out code fragment installed to `.adds/nm/koreader`, so you can just copy that block of code at the tail end of it.
Old 03-03-2023, 04:53 AM   #11
Strrav
Enthusiast

It Works, you're a master !
so nice to have koreader Back
THANK YOU !!

Last edited by Strrav; 03-03-2023 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:38 PM   #12
janadelbosco
janadelbosco began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strrav View Post
hello
after an automatic update of my kobo H2O V2 , I can't reinstall Koreader
clic on Nickelmenu give a pop up : " generator error" ...
clic in generator error : kfmon: error checking':/tmp/kfmon-ipc.ctl': stat: No such file or directory (snc/generator_c.c:93)
I like very much Koreader which is really better than the kobo interface !

I Just followed this thread, but no solution.

"Connect your Kobo eReader to your computer over USB.
Download KoboRoot.tgz (release notes) into KOBOeReader/.kobo. You may need to show hidden files to see the folder.
Safely eject your eReader and wait for it to reboot.
Ensure there is a new menu item in the top-left main menu entitled NickelMenu (it will appear in the bottom-right on firmware 4.23.15505+).
Connect you Kobo eReader to your computer again and create a new file (of any type) named KOBOeReader/.adds/nm/config, and follow the instructions in KOBOeReader/.adds/nm/doc to configure NickelMenu."

Is there a detailed thread to solve the problem ? thanks
Hello, I'm getting the same error on my Kobo Clara HD. I used to use Koreader having no issues at all, but two days ago I had to format it and now It doesn't work anymore. I followed the OCP steps as the first time, but now I'm getting this "Generator error". I tried installing the KFMon pack, still getting the same result (nothing changes installing KFMon). What's happening? What can I do? Thank you so much.
janadelbosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 07:50 AM   #13
janadelbosco

I'm trying again today. I have:
-formatted my Clara HD
-unplugged
-followed Kobo configuration first steps
-unabled automatic actualisations
-plugged again
-installed KOReader using the automated script from this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...96&postcount=2
-unplugged
It still doesn't work. I have "NickelMenu" on bottom right of the screen, but when touching it I get the "Generator error". I plugged it again to my pc and checked that KFMon files are still there. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!
Old 07-27-2023, 08:43 AM   #14
janadelbosco

Now I've tried inserting this piece of code as NiLuJe suggested to another user:
And now I can run Koreader but it appears completely upside down... I mean, the screen is upside down and if I want to touch a feature that is in the top right corner I have to touch the bottom left... So the image and the touch-screen are mirrored and it's basically unusable. Help!
Old 07-27-2023, 10:44 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@janadelbosco: Assuming you're running FW 4.37, you don't actually need the workaround anymore.

Restart the device and simply use a standard launch method; whether that be KFMon or NM or KFMon via NM.

FWIW, you probably just got a FW update along the way, and just needed to reinstall KFMon. Or you can switch to a plain NM setup, as mentioned above, the OCP ships with those examples commented out.