Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-11-2024, 01:45 PM   #1
Eddy
Eddy began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung S10+
Moonreader Pro - can no longer read Kindle books

I LOVE and ADORE the "Moonreader Pro" app, because it allows me to customised the appearance of the text in epubs in so many wonderful ways.

For the last 20 years I have bought Kindle books from Amazon, converted them to epubs in the wonderful Calibre, and then enjoyed reading them using Moonreader Pro on my phone.

But yesterday I downloaded a recently published Kindle book from Amazon and found that Calibre in "Windows 7" cannot convert it. Today I used a "Windows 10" computer with the most up-to-date version of Calibre on it, but Calibre could not convert it!

A member of this forum suggested that if I downloaded the book to an old Kindle reader, the Kindle book would be downloaded in the old format, and so I could then convert it in the normal way in Calibre. So I dug out an old Kindle reader and, yes, the book downloaded to it in AZW3 format. But when I tried to convert the AZW3 file in Calibre 3.44 I received exactly the same "can't convert because of DRM" message that the KFX file received yesterday.

So last night I tried to read the new book in the Kindle app on my phone. The reading experience was poor compared to the reading experience provided by Moonreader Pro. If there were a skin for the Kindle app maybe I could improve things, but I couldn't find any evidence of such a skin for the Kindle app.

So is this the end of the road for us Moonreader Pro readers? From now on can we only read old public domain epubs, i.e. no new publications?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:08 PM   #2
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
The changes in the Kindle app date from January 2023 - you needed the most recent Kindle app to download your book if it was published on or after ~7th Jan 2023. Books published before that date are still downloadable and should still be convertable.

It's why I now purchase from Kobo: downloads in epub format, and DRM (if applicable) is Adobe. I can price match with Amazon provided it's the same edition (generally matching cover & publication date are fine as Amazon no longer records the ISBN).
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2024, 02:50 PM   #3
Eddy
Eddy began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung S10+
Thank you, maddz, for your helpful response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Books published before that date [7th Jan 2023] are still downloadable and should still be convertable.

That's good news. I tend to read great classics which I download in epub format from "gutenberg.org", but every so often I read a review of a new book, but from what you say I should now purchase them from Kobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
It's why I now purchase from Kobo: downloads in epub format, and DRM (if applicable) is Adobe. I can price match with Amazon provided it's the same edition . . .

I would be most grateful if you would tell me what purchasing epubs from Kobo will entail if I wish to read the epubs on Moonreader Pro. When you purchase an epub from Kobo, how does the epub get to your computer? Would I need a Kobo app?

It's good to know that if I learn how to go through a new rigmarole I'll still be able to enjoy Moonreader Pro! I'm almost 70 and finding changing from one complicated digital procedure to another quite a trial.

Thanks.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 03:01 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You might want to check a couple of calibre threads: DRM workaround: Kindle for Android and Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre.

Did you install the serial number for Kindle for which you downloaded the file using Download and Transfer using USB in the DeDRM's configuration?

And that's about as far as we can go on Mobileread.

You can check the discussions on noDRM's github page. If you are not currently using DeDRM 10.0.9, you can download it from this link.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote