Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-12-2022, 02:20 PM   #1
Zenmaster
Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Libra H2O
Calibre sends separate .jpg files to my Kobo Libra 2

Running latest version of Calibre. Sent books to my Kobo Libra H2O and all was well - the epub files are on the Kobo Libra H2O fine. No extraneous files.

Then sent books to my new Kobo Libra 2 and all the books as epub files were sent... but every book seems to have a separate listing in the Kobo Libra 2 with just the .jpg file of the cover! So just about every book has a useless entry showing up in my Kobo "My Books" that is just a .jpg file with the same title as the book.

In the Device view in the Calibre Library, I can see the .jpg file in addition to the epub file. It is SO ANNOYING that I cannot add a column view of "Format" to the device view so I could isolate the .jpg files and try to remove those files that way.

In the Calibre Library View, I cannot see the .jpg files. They do not show up as a file format in any option menu that I see. So why can I see .jpg files in the Device View?

Has anyone else had this problem, and/or is there a simple way to remove all the .jpg files from the Kobo through Calibre?

I have looked at help menus and gone through all the option menus I could think of. Nothing seems to address this.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Zenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:18 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
For the Libra 2, did you use "Send to device" or "Save to disk"? It sounds like you did the latter. This can save other files with the book such as the cover image. If there is a reason you want to use "Save to disk", you can turn of saving the cover in the preferences.

To remove them, you can delete them using the device list in calibre. Searching for "jpg" should find them. The select them and delete them. It would also be safe to do this from the OS, either the command line or Explorer or its equivalent. I don't think there will be JPGs you don't want to delete, but, you should check. If you have installed KOReader or some other addon, they might have images that would be found this way.

I can't think of a quick way to do this on the device. The best I can think of is to use the "Manage books" from the book list, select the "Imported" filter and sort by file type. Then scroll through to where they are, select them and press the "Remove" button. That would be OK for a few, but, not if you are talking about hundreds.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:43 PM   #3
Zenmaster
Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zenmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaster View Post
In the Device view in the Calibre Library, I can see the .jpg file in addition to the epub file. It is SO ANNOYING that I cannot add a column view of "Format" to the device view so I could isolate the .jpg files and try to remove those files that way.

In the Calibre Library View, I cannot see the .jpg files. They do not show up as a file format in any option menu that I see. So why can I see .jpg files in the Device View?
Well, I worked around the lack of a format view by sorting by file size in the Device View. All files under 150kb were .jpg files, and then I arrowed through the files in the device view and clicked "Remove Book" for all the .jpg files above 150kb. took a bit of time, but using Calibre to add/manage still saves boatloads of time even with a glitch like this.

Calibre does not re-add the .jpg files when updating the metadata cache, but it continues to add the extra .jpg file when adding new books to the Kobo Libra 2. Still curious if anyone has seen this issue previously or knows how to avoid it.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:49 PM   #4
Zenmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For the Libra 2, did you use "Send to device" or "Save to disk"? It sounds like you did the latter. This can save other files with the book such as the cover image. If there is a reason you want to use "Save to disk", you can turn of saving the cover in the preferences.

To remove them, you can delete them using the device list in calibre. Searching for "jpg" should find them. The select them and delete them. It would also be safe to do this from the OS, either the command line or Explorer or its equivalent. I don't think there will be JPGs you don't want to delete, but, you should check. If you have installed KOReader or some other addon, they might have images that would be found this way.

I can't think of a quick way to do this on the device. The best I can think of is to use the "Manage books" from the book list, select the "Imported" filter and sort by file type. Then scroll through to where they are, select them and press the "Remove" button. That would be OK for a few, but, not if you are talking about hundreds.
Thank you so much! I see now my mistake. I went to Device view and in that view, "Send to Device" is grayed out so I used "Save to Disk". My bad. Using Send to Device from Library View is the way to go. I didn't think to search .jpg from the Device View either. Truly appreciate the advice. Thanks for your time!