Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
bertro
bertro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo Hd
Kobo Glo HD w/Surface Book : doesn't work

Hi,

I've been trying for an hour to connect my Kobo Glo HD with my Microsoft Surface Book. It runs the latest Windows 10 software. But I can't manage to do it.

The connection works just fine on my W10 desktop PC and an old MacBook Pro I have. I could use one of these but it isn't convenient, I'd better have it linked to my Surface Book for Calibre.

I did try
-the two USB ports
-two different USB cables
-resetting Kobo
-troubleshouting the hardware
-seeing if the device is recognized by Windows - it's not
-installing the shitty Kobo Desktop app

Is it some known issue with the Surface Book specifically ? Is there a known fix ?

Thanks,
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Yes this is a known problem and the solution is to connect via the Surface Dock, the explanation in the link to the thread I opened when I had the problem (February 2016).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...23&postcount=4
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Didnt we also see success if you had a USB 2 hub plugged into the Surface Book, and then plugged the Kobo into the hub?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Didnt we also see success if you had a USB 2 hub plugged into the Surface Book, and then plugged the Kobo into the hub?
I think that required a powered hub so the Surface Book was not supplying the +5V power.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
bertro
bertro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo Hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Yes this is a known problem and the solution is to connect via the Surface Dock, the explanation in the link to the thread I opened when I had the problem (February 2016).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...23&postcount=4
Oh thanks. Unfortunately I don't have this dock.

Did you have a chance to try this solution you mentionned ? "a charger plus an old WD twin cable connector"

It's really weird that such a pricey laptop can't handle a simple feature like this.
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2017, 03:32 AM   #6
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertro View Post
Oh thanks. Unfortunately I don't have this dock.

Did you have a chance to try this solution you mentionned ? "a charger plus an old WD twin cable connector"

It's really weird that such a pricey laptop can't handle a simple feature like this.
No. I decided to buy the dock with vouchers Fnac gave me for being an early buyer of the Surface Book (10%), and it is very convenient, and solves the problem of the Book having too few ports.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote