Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
I want to take the plunge...but !!

I have a few questions maybe someone can answer for me...

1.) Do you need a MicroSD card just for rooting...and one for data..(books, ect)..If so, what size is recommended for just rooting...?

2.) I have found the youtube for rooting, but not sure if its still accurate because of time or the last update...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUoHALWvPts

3.) Is there step by step instructions for manual rooting as well as autorooting...(is that a word..??)

Thanks for your patience....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
AzB
AzB doesn't litterAzB doesn't litter

Device: nook color
1: No, you don't if you root first. Making the boot image on the MicroSD card will format the card and erase anything on it. But if you root first, you can then use the same card for everything else. If you think you might have to reroot, (so far, I've been rooted for a month and have not needed to redo anything) it might be best to have two cards. I used a cheapo 4G card, and even with dozens of books, thousands of music files, a couple of complete system backups, and miscellaneous programs and data, there's still almost 2 gigs left on the card. I think the music files take up the most room.

2: I do better with printed step by step instructions, I have a hard time following along on youtube.

3: I would autoroot. It's not only easier, but you get NookColor Tools, YouTube, and Gmail installed at the same time.

Az
AzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB View Post
1: No, you don't if you root first. Making the boot image on the MicroSD card will format the card and erase anything on it. But if you root first, you can then use the same card for everything else. If you think you might have to reroot, (so far, I've been rooted for a month and have not needed to redo anything) it might be best to have two cards. I used a cheapo 4G card, and even with dozens of books, thousands of music files, a couple of complete system backups, and miscellaneous programs and data, there's still almost 2 gigs left on the card. I think the music files take up the most room.

2: I do better with printed step by step instructions, I have a hard time following along on youtube.

3: I would autoroot. It's not only easier, but you get NookColor Tools, YouTube, and Gmail installed at the same time.

Az

Thanks for the response...Ill autoroot, but from what Im reading it has not yet been developed for the new upgrade....I think...I D/L "auto-nooter-2.12.25.img.zip" but the info that surrounded it was a bit overwhelming for me..!!
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
That is the you tube video I used to root, and it was easy to follow. If he comes out with a 1.1 rooting video, I will might bow to peer pressure and update and re-root. He did a great job. I just had the video on and paused it while I did the steps. The SD card will be wiped, so if you have books or music on the SD card, transfer to your computer. Then after you finish the rooting, you can reformat the SD card (do it in the NC, not on your computer) and transfer your file back.

I can tell you, rooting is DEFINITELY worth it, but if you are updated to 1.1, I would wait until the new auto rooter comes out and I am betting some step by step guides on youtube will follow shortly.

(I'm like you - to me it sounds overwhelming, but watching the youtube video, I knew I could do it - unless Scion or one of the other gurus of this website come to my house and do it, I am waiting for a video! LOL)
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote