Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-11-2020, 04:29 PM   #91
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie - uk View Post
The Hisense A5, has a matt screen protector on it which is OK. I just bought a Hisense A5CC colour e-ink phone, and put a matt screen protector on it, which is OK. Google Play functionality is available for the A5. You'll have to wait a bit for the pro & colour versions....

BROTECT AirGlass Matte Glass Screen Protector for Hisense A5, A5C, A5CC

What do you make of the graininess of the colour? Are you ok with it or does it bother you?

I don't think I will mind, but I don't use/like regular smartphones, so I have low standards - the yotaphone 2 was my first smartphone, and I've used eink phones exclusively ever since.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:40 PM   #92
charlie - uk
Enthusiast
charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox T68 & I86 HD ML+, Hisense A5,A5CC,Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
What do you make of the graininess of the colour? Are you ok with it or does it bother you?

I don't think I will mind, but I don't use/like regular smartphones, so I have low standards - the yotaphone 2 was my first smartphone, and I've used eink phones exclusively ever since.
For me, I do a lot of reading & like to be able to use my devices outside. E-Ink devices excel at this. I like the colour, E-Ink devices. They are great for web browsing & video in colour. THe colour is muted but nice, compared to Oled screens which are brash & pop. And the added benefit of long battery life is great too...
charlie - uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #93
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
Is there a Hisense phone with a matte, non-reflective EPD in the making ? If not - why the hell not ?
Probably because specialized glass is more resistant to scratches than matte surfaces, and palm devices (foremostly phones) are "treated worse" than tablets (incl. readers). (Probably also for reasons of streamlining in production.)

Do not get me wrong: using matte screens is a basic requirement and the difficulties that exist in order to finalize purchased devices to make them ready for use is shocking.

To equip your devices with a matte film, it seems to me currently that you should look for technicians' shops (mobile devices repairs etc.) that equipped themselves with plotters and professional grade matte films. Those films that can be moved for some time after being placed on the glass - those not immediately adhesive - are those I am calling "professional grade".
See here my latest rants and headaches on the matter.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:55 AM   #94
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just bought a Hisense A5CC colour e-ink phone
Good! Why don't you do us a favour and take close, detailed (sharp) photos that include text, coloured text (like links in a webpage) and pictures? I guess webpages and PDF files are good targets.

EDIT: You could take pictures of these pages, in the right places.

For example: in page 6 of the current thread there are posts from DaleDe and pdurrant: a picture taken of their name and avatar would be interesting. In the left column you get a green text instance ("pdurrant"), a black one ("the grand mouse 高貴的老鼠"), graphics and a picture (pale blue shaded boxes and the picture of a mouse), surrounded by other graphics for the dates, rectangles etc. I guess a picture including those details would already be telling. That green text to be compared to the black and grey ones is important.

Also, a shot of what is below this sentence, in this post, could be of interest - from the coloured text to the bird.

This is a test.
This is a test. Oh, look, a bird, a bird here below!
This is a test.
Attached Images

Last edited by mdp; 07-12-2020 at 03:23 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:31 PM   #95
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
I just post a thread discouraging all of you to buy from Shenzhen store on aliexpress. Me and many users from here have had problems with them.

The post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...25#post4011125

I just read the reviews on CECT-SHOP on the colour Hisense phones and no one regrets of the colour choice and one says the colour screen is a good one.

By the way Charlie - Uk, from where did ou buy the phone?

Last edited by eReader fan; 07-12-2020 at 11:02 PM.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2020, 04:34 AM   #96
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Hisense A5, has a matt screen protector on it which is OK. I just bought a Hisense A5CC colour e-ink phone, and put a matt screen protector on it, which is OK. Google Play functionality is available for the A5. You'll have to wait a bit for the pro & colour versions....

BROTECT AirGlass Matte Glass Screen Protector for Hisense A5, A5C, A5CC

How long do you think we'll have to wait ?
I personally don't care about color but I would like a dual screen phone a la Hisense A2 pro but with google play services or at least a matte EPD or a good matte screen protrector for that matter
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:42 PM   #97
charlie - uk
Enthusiast
charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlie - uk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eReader fan View Post
I just post a thread discouraging all of you to buy from Shenzhen store on aliexpress. Me and many users from here have had problems with them.

The post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...25#post4011125

I just read the reviews on CECT-SHOP on the colour Hisense phones and no one regrets of the colour choice and one says the colour screen is a good one.

By the way Charlie - Uk, from where did ou buy the phone?
I bought both the, Hisense A5 & Hisense A5CC from CECT-SHOP. I have no complaints and the customer service has always been excellent. Shipping has some delays due to COVID-19, but not excessive...
Old 07-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #98
charlie - uk
Enthusiast

Quote:
How long do you think we'll have to wait ?
I personally don't care about color but I would like a dual screen phone a la Hisense A2 pro but with google play services or at least a matte EPD or a good matte screen protrector for that matter
The Hisense A5, got Google Play functionality, through an Aliexpress reseller 4 - 5 months after CECT-SHOP started selling it. It's worth noting that these are unofficial reseller mods. Meaning that the, modded Hisense E-Ink phones, are not eligible for over the air, Android system updates...

Last edited by charlie - uk; 07-13-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #99
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
I bought both the, Hisense A5 & Hisense A5CC from CECT-SHOP.
I'm curious as to how the reading experience on the A5 compares to the reading experience on the A5CC.

Is the text on the A5CC as clear as the text on the A5? What about when reading a book which has colour pictures, is the text as clear as on the A5?

I have an A5 and really love it.But it would be tempting to get the A5CC if the reading experience were just as good.

Also, do you notice any difference in terms of power consumption between the two devices?

And can the lockscreen display a colour picture when the device is switched off?

Thanks.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:40 AM   #100
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Hisense A5, got Google Play functionality, through an Aliexpress reseller 4 - 5 months after CECT-SHOP started selling it. It's worth noting that these are unofficial reseller mods. Meaning that the, modded Hisense E-Ink phones, are not eligible for over the air, Android system updates...
That's very useful information, thank you. I assume no android update is a big minus.

I also just remembered the Hisense A6 exists. Might be an option for me. i remember reading here somewhere that hisense might be planning to incorporate Google services in their phones - that true ?

Last edited by tracey1; 07-14-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:42 AM   #101
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post

I have an A5 and really love it.
Would you say it can be used as one's main/only phone ?
Old 07-14-2020, 01:54 AM   #102
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Probably because specialized glass is more resistant to scratches than matte surfaces, and palm devices (foremostly phones) are "treated worse" than tablets (incl. readers). (Probably also for reasons of streamlining in production.)

Do not get me wrong: using matte screens is a basic requirement and the difficulties that exist in order to finalize purchased devices to make them ready for use is shocking.

To equip your devices with a matte film, it seems to me currently that you should look for technicians' shops (mobile devices repairs etc.) that equipped themselves with plotters and professional grade matte films. Those films that can be moved for some time after being placed on the glass - those not immediately adhesive - are those I am calling "professional grade".
See here my latest rants and headaches on the matter.
Thanks for the insight. I will look into the latter possibility although I would be positively surprierd if local phone stores provided such a service.

On the issue of scratches, I still own a Yotaphone 2 with a matte EPD and it has very little scratches despite not always having enjoyed a gentle treatment

Last edited by tracey1; 07-14-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #103
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Would you say it can be used as one's main/only phone ?
I guess that would depend on how you use your phone.

It is my main phone, but I'm not your typical phone user. I send and receive several texts a year. Can't even remember the last time I used a mobile phone to make or receive a call. I also have disabled data on the phone so that I can only access the internet via wifi... I use it mainly for reading, taking photos and listening to music, but I have the option of using it as a phone should the need arise.

However, I have read that some people who are likely more typical users than myself are using it is as their main phone.

One thing to note, if you live in a northerly country, is that some people have reported issues in extremely cold weather when using it outside.

I only used mine briefly a couple of times to take pictures during winter here in Canada. Although the phone took the pictures without incident, I did notice that the lockscreen image looked a little wonky. Everything returned to normal once I was inside again. However, it made me wonder how images would render if using the device for an extended period in the cold.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #104
charlie - uk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I'm curious as to how the reading experience on the A5 compares to the reading experience on the A5CC.

Is the text on the A5CC as clear as the text on the A5? What about when reading a book which has colour pictures, is the text as clear as on the A5?

I have an A5 and really love it.But it would be tempting to get the A5CC if the reading experience were just as good.

Also, do you notice any difference in terms of power consumption between the two devices?

And can the lockscreen display a colour picture when the device is switched off?

Thanks.
Because the A5CC has colour filters in front of the e-ink screen, it is less reflective than the A5. Black on white text, there seems to be little difference. Colour is overlayed over the e-ink screen, with a colour filter array, so it doesn't seem to interfere with text display. Power consumption seems pretty much the same between the two. Increasing with, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth & screen refresh rate, when browsing the internet etc. The lock screen has a user selectable background. If there is a way to display a picture when shutdown, I haven't found it. Shutdown display, is minimal, just says Hisense & Turned off. In lock screen, you can display whatever background picture you like. The Hisense A5CC phone, with it's extra memory and faster processor, gives a much better user experience, than the Hisense A5...

Last edited by charlie - uk; 07-14-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #105
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Because the A5CC has colour filters in front of the e-ink screen, it is less reflective than the A5. Black on white text, there seems to be little difference. Colour is overlayed over the e-ink screen, with a colour filter array, so it doesn't seem to interfere with text display. Power consumption seems pretty much the same between the two. Increasing with, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth & screen refresh rate, when browsing the internet etc. The lock screen has a user selectable background. If there is a way to display a picture when shutdown, I haven't found it. Shutdown display, is minimal, just says Hisense & Turned off. In lock screen, you can display whatever background picture you like. The Hisense A5CC phone, with it's extra memory and faster processor, give a much better user experience, than the Hisense A5...
Many thanks for the reply. Very tempting.