Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
AussieTupp
AussieTupp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Question Calibre Collections on Kindle Paper White

Hi ... there used to be a superb plugin for my old Kindle (a 3G with keyboard). I have since upgraded to a PaperWhite (love it!) but can no longer use the plugin in Calibre to sort collections on the Kindle itself.

Is there such a plugin for the PaperWhite please?
AussieTupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle
I have heard of a Calibre Plugin that works with PW1 (not sure if it works with PW2 yet), but from what I heard you needed to Jailbreak your Kindle to use it, so I have avoided it.

If you look in the Kindle Developer's Corner you should be able to find some info on it.
gavinjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Also, you can use a Calibre plugboard to make creating your collections a little easier. I use this method to keep track of my collections. I've tried jailbreaking mine but I do not make that many mass collection changes to justify having to keep jailbreaking it when a new firmware comes out. Of course you also hold out to see what functionality the upcoming Cloud Collections will offer.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Also, you can use a Calibre plugboard to make creating your collections a little easier. I use this method to keep track of my collections.
Can you please explain about how to do the plugboard?
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
Can you please explain about how to do the plugboard?
Look here for info: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118563
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You cannot have Calibre manage your collections unless you have the PW2 jailbroken and something installed that will allow collections to be created via Calibre. Collections used to work with Calibre, but Amazon changed how collections worked. I'm not sure when Amazon changed things.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
AussieTupp
AussieTupp began at the beginning.

Thanks everyone ... isn't it astonishing that something so simple should become so complex.

I've discovered a way to make searching for authors easier on the PW (I think I have PW1 but I'm not sure how to work that out!) so rather than going to the extremes that sound a bit scary, I'll plod along.

I really appreciate your input. Cheers!
AussieTupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
HeatherA
Enthusiast
HeatherA began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard/Kindle PPW
My Paperwhite should be delivered tomorrow. I've just finished organizing all of my collections in Calibre and have them setup perfectly on my Kindle Keyboard. Will these collections transfer to the Paperwhite if I sideload my books from Calibre?
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Also, you can use a Calibre plugboard to make creating your collections a little easier. I use this method to keep track of my collections.
No, plugboards have nothing to do with collections. You'd use a plugboard to append a series name to the title or author of the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #10
tlindgren
tlindgren began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTupp View Post
Hi ... there used to be a superb plugin for my old Kindle (a 3G with keyboard). I have since upgraded to a PaperWhite (love it!) but can no longer use the plugin in Calibre to sort collections on the Kindle itself.
Is there such a plugin for the PaperWhite please?
It's slightly complicated, since I have most of the it written down anyway I'll try to give an overview and links to the right threads. Hopefully it'll be a help for someone.

This was written for Paperwhite 1 (5.3.x firmware) but should also work on Paperwhite 2 (5.4.0-5.4.2.1) and I'm told Touch. Note that 5.4.3 and newer isn't supported by the required plugin and 5.4.2/5.4.2.1 has some quirks.

ixtab may be able to make the Kindle app support 5.4.4 on PW1/PW2 in the same slightly limited fashion it handles 5.4.2/5.4.2.1, but it doesn't support 5.4.4/PW1 at all at this time.

So, first the downgrade, skip if your firmware is on the supported list. I had 5.4.4 on my PW1 and had to use the baidu linked file there plus the 5.3.9 firmware link. For PW2 it wuld be 5.4.0 instead

Jailbreak the device
Install Mobileread Kindlet Kit on device
Install Touch/PW1/PW2 version of Calibre Kindle Collections
Install Collections Manager on Device
You then need to either keep it offline or block automatic updates of Kindle firmware, there are several ways and this seems to be easiest

Information on using it:
You need to navigate to and run the "Collections Manager" and run the "Import from Calibre" on your device each time you've updated the Collections via Calibre for it to take effect (device reboot is not required however).

As I understand it the reason why it's so complicated is because Amazon moved the "Collections Database" outside the area that is accessible via USB (so updating the local Kindle database MUST be done by an app running on the Kindle).
tlindgren is offline   Reply With Quote