Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #16
cheyennedonna
Edge User

You can transfer some paid apps from your phone (or the emulator on your PC), but, some are protected and the apk can not be backed up, some "phone home" for a license check - without market they can't validate you own the app, some have a EULA - prohibiting copying and others just flat out won't install - due to our devices limitations (in this case you lose the $ - unless you wanted it on the phone too.)

In regards to the apps offered on the market using the emulator - you are only shown those apps which run on Android 1.6. Any that are exclusive to higher versions of Android are hidden/not offered.

I keep AppBrain installed as a quick way to check for apps needing an update.

Last edited by cheyennedonna; 05-21-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
goldy319
Edge User

emusan, or anyone else please, how do you back up the forums?? i really love this forum. it's the only support i feel i can get.

Advert
Old 05-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
netrobot
Edge User

Many of the people here are already also on the MobileRead forums, so you're not likely to lose too many of the associations found here. "Golden update" files have been archived by users on both sites, and could be exposed on the web in response to a request there, so you're not going to lose access to Entourage-specific files even if Entourage disappears.

As for backing this forum up, that's problematic. If you have a paid version of Acrobat, you could create a PDF from this website and just start clicking on every thread, pulling the content into the PDF file, but that would be pretty tedious! I'd suggest printing to PDF, but that also requires opening each thread. Maybe someone at Entourage will make the source database available someday?

Many issues you face will be Android-centric, and answerable through any one of the other website/forums.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #19
Filark
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by socman123 View Post
Yes...it's still there with the Beta option. I love, love, love my Edge and I'm thinking about buying another just to have in reserve if something should happen to the first. Any ideas or comments as to why this might be a bad idea? I love my Edge so much I am not certain that I can be as objective as I need to be since this will be another $450.00 purchase for a new EE. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Roger
I'm still thinking of getting an EE, too, Roger.

I'm not sure much has really changed. We knew the PE and EE were being discontinued. This is more a status confirmation for me, as long as the forum and registration are still here, and as long as enTourage is still supporting its product (which so far it is) I think we're okay. Just can't expect anything beyond the Ermine beta -- hope for, maybe, but not expect.

Where are you paying $450 for a new EE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna
Bummer. It almost seems like I lost a friend.
Exactly.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #20
kennyminot
Edge User

The Android Market

A member on the xda forum figured out how to get the Android market to work. The procedure is complicated, but it's now been confirmed by multiple people. I posted the steps in the development section of the Edge forum. At the moment, the procedure requires using another rooted Android phone. I'm considering creating another Google account and uploading my Titanium Backup files to simplify the process.

I don't really find it significantly different than the Amazon Market (in fact, I would say Amazon has a better interface). That said, Google still has more apps. I missed Best Deals and Beautiful Widgets. Of course, you could probably get these apps from other places, but it's a little more of a pain in my buttocks.

I want to fool around with the sdcard settings, but now I'm worried that I won't be able to go back to Ermine. Anybody know if you can still download the beta update?

Advert
Old 05-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #21
dcubed2
Edge User

Man, I hope Entourage can hang on for 5 more weeks - then I'll be home and can dl Ermine Beta. Otherwise, I'll be stuck with Dingo forever.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #22
Franky
Edge User

Darn, so it did happen. It sad, very sad to known the eDGe won't be able to grow anymore. Very, very sad.

now I realy need a spare device to ensure myself.

For me this is a sort of dejavú. We bought 3 IREX ereaders, the best there was (mybe still is). Within a couple of month's the company was bankrupt.
At exact he same time we bought (now unfortunately) just 1 eDGe.
now look what happened.

Darn, this makes me sad....

Old 05-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #23
lorenzoens
Edge User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula-t View Post
My five cents:
Ditto!
Hahah la censura no puede hablar italiano.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #24
alex_edge
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Hahah la censura no puede hablar italiano.
Entonces, por que escribes tu en espanol?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
larka2006
Edge User

Store is closed, registration is still on. I set up a PE for a friend on 5/21, added another PE to my account and updated all of my Edges to Ermine today (I was keeping one PE at Dingo for comparison, but given circumstances rather upgrade everything). very weird that Amazon pulled all EE and PE (there is still one red PE (3 available) for 389$ as of today) almost at the same time, AND Entourage sends us to buy apps from Amazon and books from Google. Just faint hope maybe they developing new device for Amazon...???

Old 05-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #26
JBrondos
Edge User

Obituaries from other sites: How is the news being reported in cyberspace?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/23/e...portedly-disc/

How long will we be able to access this Forum?

Where can we send flowers?

Old 05-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #27
kenjennings
Edge User

So, the cake is a lie. No SDK.

I wonder how many other startups will learn from this: No developer support means no unique applications which means no growth of the customer base which means going out of business sale.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #28
JBrondos
Edge User

You can still buy Entourage Edges on eBay for [only] $549.99 . . .

Old 05-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #29
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrondos View Post
You can still buy Entourage Edges on eBay for [only] $549.99 . . .
Yeah, that's the kicker. Where are the discounted EEs? I guess they didn't have a lot of extra supply.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #30
North19
Edge User

I know... I'm still hoping to grab a second discount EE (after I pay Guy this week for his), at the very least for the battery.