Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
nniesen
Edge User

The enTourage eDGe store has closed as of 05/21/2011

It's official, just check out the home page http://www.entourageedge.com/

Old 05-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Bummer. It almost seems like I lost a friend.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
emusan
Edge User

I felt a little sad and worried about it as well, but then I remembered that there are better places to get almost anything they had on offer there, but it is a little troubling that they keep removing things from their site. I think that I'll try and start backing up the forums in case they decide to remove these as well.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
I felt a little sad and worried about it as well, but then I remembered that there are better places to get almost anything they had on offer there, but it is a little troubling that they keep removing things from their site. I think that I'll try and start backing up the forums in case they decide to remove these as well.
It's not so much about what the store had to offer; I had always hoped that my first generation device would evolve into something spectacular. The EE is great and the PE is fun, but, the device had so much more to offer than what it was given.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
lorenzoens
Edge User

Seems like the automated censorhip is still active. When robots will run companies there wil be less shutdown.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
lorenzoens
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
It's not so much about what the store had to offer; I had always hoped that my first generation device would evolve into something spectacular. The EE is great and the PE is fun, but, the device had so much more to offer than what it was given.
Yea. I did hope the same.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
nniesen
Edge User

Quote:
Agreed. I got my PE off Woot and I'm happy with it for what it is. It would have been nice to see a 2nd generation: capacitive multi-touch, slimmer, lighter, faster, newer OS... would have been pretty cool. Sounds like the smaller guys are going to have trouble moving forward with competitive Android devices given that Google is restricting at least early access to honeycomb.

Anyway, I knew when I bought that this might happen but I'd been wondering for at least a year why the tablet makers didn't throw e-ink screens on the back. For the Woot price though, I still think it a good first reader/tablet that I can eventually try rooting or other stuff.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Bummer. It almost seems like I lost a friend.
And loosing a lot of friends..... very sad.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
sarah11918
Edge User

Well, there it is. Don't forget to go to the Mobile Read site, everyone!

Old 05-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Glow
Edge User

They finally put the Product pages back on the Support page (via Knowledge Base tab)!
http://www.entourageedge.com/support/

On the other hand, no link to the forums.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #11
socman123
Edge User

Can One Still Register and Download Ermine?

With the closing of the Entourage Store and other parts of the website, is it still possible to register a new EE or PE, and to download the Beta Version of Ermine? I was actually thinking about buying another unit, but all this "closing" stuff kind of freaks me out. Also, found an extra battery overseas from a dealer in Holland, but the price in Euros made things (with shipping) a tad expensive, but what's a fella to do...all US based outlets appeared to be out of stock and not planning on order more. Take care, Roger

Old 05-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by socman123 View Post
... download the Beta Version of Ermine?...
Try going to the "My Account" link it may still be available there.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
paula-t
Edge User

My five cents:

1) Qué lo parió, como diría Inodoro Pereyra. Fue lindo mientras duró, pero ya lo ha dicho Rubén Blades, se acabó lo que se daba...

2) Mannaggia, Lorenzo! Ma infine questo scassacazzo ha finito pertutti... I censori parlano italiano?

3) Now, Ivan, is your turn. Say it in Russian, man, and be our Epic Win!

4) It just occured to me that Guyjack will get an impressive award as the Timeliest Seller Ever.

5) On second thoughts about the lack of future upgrades and updates, my grandmother was never upgraded nor updated in her life, but she was the greatest creature on Earth, providing multiple benefits to everyone. Even if I had been able to replace her by a Quad-Core new granny , I would have stuck to her forever. So if something is good and we love it, my guess is I will respect it and enjoy it to the end, "as is"! (I will lock myself in the restroom later and cry my life out).

Ditto!

Old 05-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
socman123
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Try going to the "My Account" link it may still be available there.
Yes...it's still there with the Beta option. I love, love, love my Edge and I'm thinking about buying another just to have in reserve if something should happen to the first. Any ideas or comments as to why this might be a bad idea? I love my Edge so much I am not certain that I can be as objective as I need to be since this will be another $450.00 purchase for a new EE. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Roger

Old 05-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #15
netrobot
Edge User

Look on the bright side. Maybe we can make peace with Google and get Market running on the eDGe now. If Entourage's "member" has been measured and found wanting, doesn't that mean the <ahem!>-measuring contest is over?

On the subject of alternate "markets", I'm using Amazon already, and the emulator-based Market works to a degree.

I get .apk files (backuped up/off) that won't install to the PE. if only those that will run on the emulated system are offered on Market, and some of those don't run on the PE, I suspect the emulator-based system is not being offered other apps that won't run on the emulator but WOULD run on the PE, so the loss is probably something like double. If we had a system.img file that MATCHED the eDGe architecture, the emulator would probably get more useful apps.

Android Freeware (Freewarelovers.com) is a good resource, but lacks many newer free apps and versions.

AndAppStore has a client -- I'm using 1.6.8. It's ok, but doesn't give too much info on the apps offered, and doesn't mark them as free, paid or crippleware well.

Slideme is interesting, using it's own market app called "SAM" (slideme android market). The latest is 4.1. The site is slideme.org.

I've tried AppBrain, but their site doesn't recognize that their "market" app is installed, on the emulator OR the PE. They have a green box referring to a direct download from Market, but it never works, even on the emulator.

AndroLib has info about apps. but I haven't figured out how to actually download anything from there.

Does anyone now BUY apps from Android Market and get them working on their Entourage? if so, what process is used?

Last edited by netrobot; 05-21-2011 at 06:13 PM.