Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-13-2019, 03:01 AM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Microsoft Books Store Has Gone Kaput.

If you want to get technical, it's the Microsoft Book "category" of their store.

Here's a snippet from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...soft-store-faq:

The books category is closing
Starting April 2, 2019, the books category in Microsoft Store will be closing. Unfortunately, this means that starting July 2019 your ebooks will no longer be available to read, but you'll get a full refund for all book purchases. See below for details.

While you can no longer purchase or acquire additional books from the Microsoft Store, you can continue to read your books until July 2019 when refunds will be processed.

Will I be able to buy, rent or pre-order books after April 2, 2019?
No. On April 2, 2019, you can no longer buy, rent or pre-order books. You can continue to use Microsoft Edge to read books you've acquired until early July 2019.

What happens to books I've pre-ordered with delivery after April 2, 2019?
Your pre-order will be cancelled, and you will not be charged for the purchase. We recommend you pre-order at another digital book store.

That's the snippet--more information is available at the Microsoft webpage cited above.

I didn't even know that Microsoft had an ebook store. Maybe if they had done more to promote it, it could have stayed in business.

I suppose that if you had, or still have, any ebooks with the Microsoft Store, you already knew of this development. But perhaps not. The date to keep in mind, now, is in early July 2019, when you will no longer be able to read your ebooks (at all, apparently) and Microsoft will issue refunds to you for the ebooks that you have purchased.

Kudos to Microsoft for not being like some ebook stores that we know but, instead, refunding the price that purchasers paid for the ebooks! My estimation of Microsoft has gone up several notches.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-13-2019 at 03:10 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Here's a snippet from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...soft-store-faq:

The books category is closing
Starting April 2, 2019, the books category in Microsoft Store will be closing. Unfortunately, this means that starting July 2019 your ebooks will no longer be available to read, but you'll get a full refund for all book purchases. See below for details.
So, I'm guessing you didn't read this thread in the News forum around 6 weeks ago.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=316370
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
It's a weird upside-down world where Microsoft is the least offensive corporate tech entity! I agree with the idea of Kudos to MS, still, it feels weird.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
It's a weird upside-down world where Microsoft is the least offensive corporate tech entity! I agree with the idea of Kudos to MS, still, it feels weird.
Well, they've partly been overtaken by FB and partly have mellowed somewhat, but I wouldn't say they are anywhere near the bottom of the offensiveness barrel.

They'll actually deserve kudos if they order linkedin to dial back on the lying, scamming, spamming invites.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #5
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
So, I'm guessing you didn't read this thread in the News forum around 6 weeks ago.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=316370
You guessed right.

I apologize, but I do not follow the Ebook General > News subforum. I would do a search first, but I still have problems using the Site's search features. If I stay with MobileRead, I'm going to take the time one day to read thoroughly the instructions and tutorials (if they exist) for using the search features.

Perhaps I can make some amends for my _faux pas_ by the fact that Microsoft's most recent announcement seems to contain some information that the earlier notification didn't.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You guessed right.

I apologize, but I do not follow the Ebook General > News subforum. I would do a search first, but I still have problems using the Site's search features. If I stay with MobileRead, I'm going to take the time one day to read thoroughly the instructions and tutorials (if they exist) for using the search features.

Perhaps I can make some amends for my _faux pas_ by the fact that Microsoft's most recent announcement seems to contain some information that the earlier notification didn't.
The News forum is not flooded with threads. That one is still 11th on the first page and hasn't been posted to since April 21st. A quick scan of the top titles once a week is well worth while. Once per day would use very little time.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #7
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
You guessed right.

No need to apologize. It’s silly to expect anyone to fully follow any sub-forum, let alone full forum.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I apologize, but I do not follow the Ebook General > News subforum. I would do a search first, but I still have problems using the Site's search features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
No need to apologize. It’s silly to expect anyone to fully follow any sub-forum, let alone full forum.
Uh, not so fast.

I'm not trying to pile on here, but this is the Deals forum. Members are expected to make an effort to post in the appropriate forum. Sometimes it's not an obvious call and sometimes they can get it wrong (at least in the mods' judgment), but they're expected to try. A perfunctory "I'm sorry," followed by an immediate justification and statement of intent to continue to post wherever, is discourteous to all our members who make the effort and would prefer not to be distracted by posts in the wrong place.

And seriously, what good is this post to the MS customer who doesn't read the Deals forum?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote