Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 11-07-2019, 06:26 AM   #31
wdshieh
wdshieh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
No, the page turn buttons donot work in Kindle App.
Thanks for the information. In the Kindle app's Settings menu, there's a checkbox labeled "Volume Buttons Control." Have you tried it?
wdshieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #32
wdshieh
wdshieh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I read Chinese books. I know that tolino epos 2 and vision 5's system languages don't include Chinese. I am still in the hopes that some reading apps can display Chinese. The attachment is a Chinese ePub file I just made for test. Wish someone could try this in your tolino to see if any epub reading app can display Chinese correctly.

I myself made the epub file from scratch. It contains only two famous Chinese poems written 1200 years ago so I guess there should be no copyright issue.
Attached Files
File Type: epub LiBaiShiXuan.epub (2.8 KB, 281 views)
wdshieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2019, 10:46 AM   #33
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdshieh View Post
Thanks for the information. In the Kindle app's Settings menu, there's a checkbox labeled "Volume Buttons Control." Have you tried it?
No, but volume control checkbox does nothing.
these bottons correspond to keyboard up/down and left/right.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:50 AM   #34
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
major differences:
- tolino offers a cloud service to all of their customers where you can merge your own books (even including Adobe DRM) with those purchased from all the individual stores that participate in the tolino franchise
- Kobo's on-device software is much more refined and richer in options for organizing and reading
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:05 AM   #35
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
major differences:
- tolino offers a cloud service to all of their customers where you can merge your own books (even including Adobe DRM) with those purchased from all the individual stores that participate in the tolino franchise
- Kobo's on-device software is much more refined and richer in options for organizing and reading
Most important difference:
Tolino software is based on Android, which can be opened very easily for other applications.
Advert
Old 03-25-2020, 12:41 PM   #36
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Quote:
I read Chinese books. I know that tolino epos 2 and vision 5's system languages don't include Chinese. I am still in the hopes that some reading apps can display Chinese. The attachment is a Chinese ePub file I just made for test. Wish someone could try this in your tolino to see if any epub reading app can display Chinese correctly.

I myself made the epub file from scratch. It contains only two famous Chinese poems written 1200 years ago so I guess there should be no copyright issue.
I've just tested your ebook with my Tolino Shine 3. It has the same software as the Vision 5. Unfortunately, your book is displayed as blank. I think that none of the fonts support chinese characters.
However, you can add more fonts by dropping them to the fonts folder. If you have a font file that supports chinese characters, I'll test them for you.

https://imgur.com/gallery/KPUqtdX
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #37
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
With Arial Unicode I could see this
Old 03-26-2020, 12:22 AM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Just for the heck of it and that I am getting really really bored, I embedded the code2000.ttf font just to see what it looked like. Too be honest, code2000 is not the prettiest font but it does cover a good chunk of the Unicode glyphs. And it bloated the file by 3.5+MB.

Edit: Attached 2 sets of screen shots, 3 using the embedded code2000 font and 3 using the sideloaded Arial Unicode MS font.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	code2k_001.png
Views:	276
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	177934   Click image for larger version

Name:	code2k_002.png
Views:	287
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	177935   Click image for larger version

Name:	code2k_003.png
Views:	267
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	177936   Click image for larger version

Name:	arialms_001.png
Views:	297
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	177937   Click image for larger version

Name:	arialms_002.png
Views:	268
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	177938   Click image for larger version

Name:	arialms_003.png
Views:	278
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	177939  
Attached Files
File Type: epub LiBaiShiXuan.epub (3.65 MB, 250 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 03-26-2020 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Attached screencaps from a Kobo Forma
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:18 AM   #39
thniels
thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: BN Nook + Tolino Shine 3 + Tolino Vision 5
I have a Shine 3 and a Vision 5. I use them interchangeably but primarily the Shine 3 for novels and the Vision 5 for work. Both have KOReader side-loaded and it works absolutely brilliantly. There are some very good walk-throughs on https://allesebook.de/ showing how to get ADB to work.

Both devices are well built and have a good rendering quality. Outside the reader apps, performance can be a bit sluggish but both the Tolino reader and KOReader work really well. I also have Wattpad installed but that is a bit too cumbersome to use here. The frontlight is well balanced on both [my] devices with no bleed. I don't use the colour change, so I can't comment on that. I like my pages white.

Content is managed with Calibre and bookmarks are synced between the two in KOReader with the Progress-plugin.

All in all, this has been a very positive experience. Truth be told, my previous e-reader was an eight year old Nook Simple Touch that finally gave up on me this winter. I concede that this could account for my enthusiasm.

The only drawback for me is a lack of memory in the app partition, limiting which apps I can load.
thniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:24 AM   #40
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thniels View Post
I have a Shine 3 and a Vision 5. I use them interchangeably but primarily the Shine 3 for novels and the Vision 5 for work. Both have KOReader side-loaded and it works absolutely brilliantly. There are some very good walk-throughs on https://allesebook.de/ showing how to get ADB to work.
I was never able to get KOreader working properly with Mangas. Even with the "fit to page" option it would never perfectly align when going to the next page so I just deleted it in frustration
Old 03-26-2020, 06:14 AM   #41
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
The only drawback for me is a lack of memory in the app partition, limiting which apps I can load.
My Shine3 uses a 128 GB SD with a 1020 MB System Partition
Old 03-26-2020, 06:19 AM   #42
thniels
thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: BN Nook + Tolino Shine 3 + Tolino Vision 5
Quote:
My Shine3 uses a 128 GB SD with a 1020 MB System Partition
Yes, I read about this modification but haven't had the courage to pry it open yet :-). Perhaps this is the time to try.
thniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:23 AM   #43
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, I read about this modification but haven't had the courage to pry it open yet :-). Perhaps this is the time to try.
Unzip, Use an Image Writer like Win32DiskImager, use Minitool Partition Wizard and delete the Tolino Partition and create in the remaining space a new FAT32 partition called Tolino and perform it.
Change the SD in the Shine3 and do a recovery.
If you want Kiwix with Wikipedia you need at least a 64GB SD.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #44
rantanplan
Guru

Quote:
Unzip, Use an Image Writer like Win32DiskImager, use Minitool Partition Wizard and delete the Tolino Partition and create in the remaining space a new FAT32 partition called Tolino and perform it.
Change the SD in the Shine3 and do a recovery.
If you want Kiwix with Wikipedia you need at least a 64GB SD.
Create a backup before you start
Old 03-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #45
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Create a backup before you start
Why? You have the original 8GB SD!