Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-01-2020, 11:21 PM   #1
whispers
whispers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 2012 (K2)
Old Kindle Fire (K2) wont 'jailbreak'

Hi-

New to all this, but hoping I can get some solid direction/feedback on what to do here.

I have 2 old Kindle Fire (2012?) Serial: D2026 AOAO

Which when I looked that up I believe it was referred to as a "K2".

I was trying add the .bin file to the _root of the device (just connect to PC and upload file to root, not it any folder)..

But the upload button is forever grey'd out (which says its not the right file)..

but according to the documentation on the page here, it is:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88004

I'm ultimately looking for a way to try and repurpose these old (but like brand new) devices with a Raspberry Pi.

In need of a touchscreen, and these 7" screens will work for the project.

I read others using Kindles with USBNetwork and some terminal/emulator stuff..etc..

Figured Id give it a try?

Thanks for any help!
whispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:41 PM   #2
whispers

Sorry.. couldnt see a way to edit my initial post?

my current System Version is: 10.5.1_user_xxxxxxx

"Update Your Kindle" button grey'd out.

There is a LOT of a information here (thank you).. I'm not sure how much if any of it is relevant anymore?

Or if my particular version of Kindle Fire Touch screen can even be 'jailbreak'd'.... or if it will even be usable for what I want in the end?

I guess step one if how to get it to any of these files in the _root directory? (enable this update button somehow?)

thanks
Advert
Old 05-01-2020, 11:43 PM   #3
whispers

Hi-

New to all this, but hoping I can get some solid direction/feedback on what to do here.

I have 2 old Kindle Fire (2012?) Serial: D2026 AOAO

Which when I looked that up I believe it was referred to as a "K2".

I was trying add the .bin file to the _root of the device (just connect to PC and upload file to root, not it any folder)..

But the upload button is forever grey'd out (which says its not the right file)..

but according to the documentation on the page here, it is:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88004

I'm ultimately looking for a way to try and repurpose these old (but like brand new) devices with a Raspberry Pi.

In need of a touchscreen, and these 7" screens will work for the project.

I read others using Kindles with USBNetwork and some terminal/emulator stuff..etc..

Figured Id give it a try?

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-02-2020, 12:04 AM   #4
whispers

Sorry.. not sure what happened to my post above.. or why its a dup of my original post?

Anways..

as I was sitting here.. the Kindle 'upgraded'..and then rebooted.

I noticed now, that my system version# is now different than is was before?

This Kindle probably hasnt been booted/touched in YEARS..

Update button is still grey'd out... (so what did it 'upgrade')?
Old 07-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
remember
remember began at the beginning.

Device: none
Those links are for the black and white e-Ink Kindles. The Kindle Fire is the color tablet. Sometimes hacking Android tablets (which the Fires are) uses the keywords "rooting" "jailbreak" (same as Kindle) "sideload" "custom ROM" "lineageOS" etc.
remember is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You do not jailbreak an Amazon tablet. You root it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
The fire was called Kindle Fire … I still have mine 2nd or 3rd gen [not hdx] Going strong!!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:31 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
The fire was called Kindle Fire … I still have mine 2nd or 3rd gen [not hdx] Going strong!!
So? It was still a tablet device, not an e-ink Kindle.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
So? It was still a tablet device, not an e-ink Kindle.
Yes its a Tablet ... After the 3rd gen Kindle was dropped used Only with the e-ink Readers Fire was used only with the Tablets. But for the Original Kindle Fires IF you need information on them you still need to use the Kindle Fire name.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote