Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
Grenpa
Grenpa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura HD and Calibre issue

Hello,

I am writing this today as I have a little story, and I just wanted to get some other feedback.

I have 2 computers and 2 Kobo Aura HD's and the Kobo's each have a memory card in them. The cards had DRM free books on them and I had many on the cards.

Last night I got a KOBO update and did not read after the update. But thismorning I went to read and noticed my book list pages were smaller. I used to have over 80 pages of books on my first kobo. But today I am down to 39 pages.

I checked the memory card and it was somehow erased during my update, or I assume it was because I never erased it.
So I went to the other computer that has a different kobo account and checked that Kobo that also got an update.

But like my first Kobo the 2nd Kobo also had it memory card erased/formatted, as there is no space used on the card now.

I went to my first system again and Calibre no longer works on the Kobo's, try as I might, I simply get a message in Calibre telling me to change Kobo firmware (or something like that).

So I post here as I just wanted to see if other had or have the same issue with card being formatted/erased during the new update last night.

Please let me know if you also have a Kobo Aura HD and if you also have this issue.

Thanks in advance
Gren
Grenpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I haven't ever had a problem with SD card being in any of my Kobo devices during a firmware update. Some people say to remove them, but I never have. To check the card, you pulled it out and mounted it in a PC to check for files? And it showed nothing and was readable with no problems? If so, you might want to ask in the Kobo forum. Someone else might have seen it, but there hasn't been any other reports.

As to the calibre problem, please read the full warning message and follow the instructions in it. The firmware has been updated beyond the version that the KoboTouch driver supports. The driver code has been updated, but until an update to calibre is released that includes this change, you will need to change the driver configuration to ignore the firmware check. There is no danger in doing this as there are no changes in function for this firmware version.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
Grenpa
Grenpa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hello Davidfor,

Thanks for the information I was not sure if it was a glitch, but having both sd cards wiped right after the update yesterday is a pain.
Since I have only had calibre a little over a month the warning about firmware worried me, but I will do as you suggested.

Thanks again for the help and info.
Have a great Holiday Season
Gren
Grenpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
mjsprof
mjsprof began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
New Kobo Firmware 3.12 issue

I think the issue is the newest firmware for Kobo Aura HD and Kobo Aura H20.

When I l connected the Kobo reader to the (Win7 64-bit computer), the OS recognized it, as did Kobo. But when I triedand tried to transfer books from the computer to the reader, I got this message from Calibre:

calibre, version 2.12.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 111.
Device firmware version: (3, 12, 0)

I think we will have to wait for some kind soul to update the Kobo driver for Calibre. I also use and micro SD card in the reader and Kobo does recognize the books added. But one can't manage the database from within Kobo.
mjsprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
NO. For the UMPTEENTH TIME. There is ZERO issue with the database compatibility for Kobo F/W and calibre. Just select the option in the driver configuration "attempt to support newer firmware".

Trust me if there ever WERE to be the possibility of database incompatibility, it would be highlighted in as many places on the calibre (and Kobo) forums here as possible.

Several of us (including davidfor) do receive beta builds of Kobo f/w on a regular basis, and if there were any issues, we would know about it prior to Kobo releasing new f/w to the public.

Last edited by PeterT; 12-15-2014 at 10:59 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Additionally I should say that IF you do as suggested and set metadata management to Automatic, any shelves / collections defined ON the device itself will be removed, and only those shelves / collections defined in calibre will be present on the device.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:06 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Additionally I should say that IF you do as suggested and set metadata management to Automatic, any shelves / collections defined ON the device itself will be removed, and only those shelves / collections defined in calibre will be present on the device.
The only modification to that is the shelf/collection management is only done for books in the current calibre library. If there are books on the device that are not in the calibre library, their shelf status will not be touched.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:09 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
For extra redundancy -- davidfor has already updated the Kobo driver. But calibre 2.13 is not out yet.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
mjsprof
mjsprof began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Thanks for your helpful information. I had not seen earlier posts on this, and thus had not seen the earlier "umpteen" explanations. I was a bit put off by Calibre's paragraph telling me that I might have to do a factory reset on the device.

Anyway, I appreciate the response. I followed your directions and books on my computer library were transferred to the device without any difficulty.
mjsprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsprof View Post
Thanks for your helpful information. I had not seen earlier posts on this, and thus had not seen the earlier "umpteen" explanations. I was a bit put off by Calibre's paragraph telling me that I might have to do a factory reset on the device.

Anyway, I appreciate the response. I followed your directions and books on my computer library were transferred to the device without any difficulty.
Well, that is the worst-case scenario -- calibre doesn't know whether there were major database changes, that is for human interaction to discover.

PeterT was being perhaps a bit vociferous in explaining that there would be a lot of threads, IF it was a problem. Since there isn't a problem, I only found one thread (in the Kobo forum).
Old 12-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

And as I said, only one of them actually deals with 3.12 -- so as far as the other threads go, I personally would always check to make sure. If there is a concept by which it is feared the Kobo database may in some possible future require compatibility fixes to the driver, beyond version bumping, I am not messing around until I have confirmed that in this particular instance it is safe.

By all means, continue.

I will ignore them equally.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a thread for firmware 3.12.0. That would be the place I would look to find out if the database is compatible with the current driver or not. if the answer wasn't in that thread, I would ask there.

Post #11 in that thread says what to do for the unsupported database message.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-18-2014 at 07:59 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And as I said, only one of them actually deals with 3.12 -- so as far as the other threads go, I personally would always check to make sure. If there is a concept by which it is feared the Kobo database may in some possible future require compatibility fixes to the driver, beyond version bumping, I am not messing around until I have confirmed that in this particular instance it is safe.

By all means, continue.

I will ignore them equally.
Look. The message on unsupported databases has been present and discussed for eons.

Trust me if you can IF THERE WAS ANY ISSUE AT ALL WITH INCOMPATIBILITIES FOR ANY VERSION OF CALIBRE AND KOBO SOMEONE (PROBABLY MYSELF OR DAVIDFOR) WOULD HAVE MADE WARNINGS ALL OVER THE PLACE.

THE FACT PEOPLE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SEARCH PRIOR TO SAYING CALIBRE DOES NOT SUPPORT A VERSION OF KOBO FW IS......
Old 12-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsprof View Post
You hit a frustration that PeterT and I have. This issue comes up with each firmware release. There is always a thread in the Kobo forum for each new firmware version. I make sure I make a statement in that about the calibre compatibility. It is usually on the first page of the thread. But, no matter how clear I am, we still get enough of these sort of posts to be frustrating. I think your post triggered the frustration a bit more as the first post asked the question and the second has the answer. And the answer covered every point in your post. Plus, you came in five days after the question, the answer and the acknowledgement that everything was OK. So, it was frustrating.

It's possible part of the solution is to rewrite the message calibre displays. If someone comes up with a better one, I'll be happy to use it.