Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #1
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Kobo mini or Kobo Aura...

I can get a kobo Mini used but I have read the screen can be really glitchy. Can anybody tell me if there's is or is it just those few bad reviews?

The Kobo Aura is on sale but I read a review saying only 12 hours reading time. Can anybody tell me how much time they get for battery life approx? I figured after all these years out of the loop the battery life would be great by now.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
AlterusPrime
Enthusiast
AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
I can barely believe Aura providing only 12 hours of reading.
With enabled ComfortLight at maximum level - maybe, but you never said anything about enabled frontlight so i'll assume you like me reading without it.
Also, Mini is 5" and Aura is 6", so you have to decide which size is more suitable for you first.
AlterusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'd be curious to see that battery life review, too. And the reports of "glitchy" screens (Much of the time, these reports are simply of smashed screens, sometimes with a user in denial.)

I'll go out on a limb here and say that any of the mainstream e-ink readers have battery lives that are a non-problem to anyone with reasonably regular access to a power point. If you're going out hiking the wilderness for a week or more, I'd suggest packing a solar charger; otherwise, it's just not a point of different between modern ereaders.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
My husband's reader of choice is the Mini (he uses his Glo only when he needs the light) and his screen is not glitchy. He loves the size and portability. I on the other hand love my H2O.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The kobo Mini, in my experience, is not glitchy.

It's a very small reader with no frontlight and has been discontinued.

On the positive side, it's great to read on in a daylit situation or in a room with plenty of light.

It's not (for me), my 'go to' reader. But on a summer day, sitting on the back deck under an umbrella and with a Scotch next to you (I mean next to ME! - hahah), it's fun to read on.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I would choose the Mini if I didn't care about the light. The Mini is a great device, no glitches in any of the ones I had.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
That's just my experience, but I have a Mini since January 2012 and I love reading on it. The only down side is the lack of light. i'm taking it everywhere I go
I've had an Aura for less than two weeks and in the end I returned it because I didn't like the screen resolution. I'm one of those who think that the flush bezel hampered the overall screen quality.

If you want light, go with the Aura.
If you don't really need it, consider the Mini.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
I have a Mini and an Aura HD. I use the HD at home, and the Mini goes everywhere in my pocket/bag/purse/belt pouch. The Mini and the Aura (without HD) have both a very similar size, so if money is not the problem and you're not going to use really small pockets to carry it, I would go for the Aura because once you get used to the light, you really find it useful. Also, it's going to be easier to find cheaper covers for the Aura, as the Mini has been discontinued so they aren't making any new covers.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Thanks everybody! The mini reviews I read were on Amazon and they said the screen would only showhalf the page and it wouldn't skip pages sometimes or skip 3 at once and freezing.

The review about the 12 hours battery life is on the kobo Aura is on the kobo website. I'm not sure if they were using the light or not but I'm guessing yes for a big chunk of it.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would still have a Mini, but I prefer lighted readers.

I would still have an Aura, had I not dropped and broken it.

Both devices are fine, they don't normally have glitches or battery problems.

You can indeed get better covers for the Aura. I was never able to get a slim case for the Mini.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #11
Care
Aes Sedai

I bought a Aura today. I didn't realize readers got so small, I can't imagine how small the mini would be. I like the idea that I can keep reading in bed without a book light that keeps falling off lol. Thanks for all the input!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I bought a Aura today. I didn't realize readers got so small, I can't imagine how small the mini would be. I like the idea that I can keep reading in bed without a book light that keeps falling off lol. Thanks for all the input!
Good choice. I find that I really have gotten so used to lighted readers, I don't want an unlit one. I loved the size and look of the Aura. It was my favorite to read on, even though the display was not as sharp as my Glo. Just don't drop it on a hard floor!
Old 08-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #13
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
I am very happy with the Aura - the resolution is fine, the light is great and the battery life is super. I need to plug it in to the PC to add books long before I have to plug it in for power. I think you made a good choice!
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote