Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-21-2021, 08:16 AM   #1
abrogard
Zealot
abrogard began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
problem with kindle azw

I just bought a kindle book for my kindle for pc and I can't read it in calibre. get this message:

calibre, version 5.16.1
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>OSError</b>:[WinError 1155] No application is associated with the specified file for this operation: 'D:\\calibrelibrary\\Mike Lofgren\\CR!Y58HBTCKNX5597S0SAC0233CYWFV.az (17150)\\CR!Y58HBTCKNX5597S0SAC0233CYWFV - Mike Lofgren.md'

calibre 5.16.1 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (1, 38, 0) && DeDRM (7, 1, 0) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (1, 38, 0) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 38, 0) && KFX Input (1, 38, 0) && Set KFX metadata (from KFX Output) (1, 51, 0) && KFX Output (1, 51, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 295, in view_triggered
File "calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 372, in _view_books
File "calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 324, in _view_calibre_books
File "calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 150, in view_format_by_id
File "calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 206, in _view_file
File "calibre\gui2\actions\view.py", line 196, in _launch_viewer
File "calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 1299, in open_local_file
OSError: [WinError 1155] No application is associated with the specified file for this operation: 'D:\\calibrelibrary\\Mike Lofgren\\CR!Y58HBTCKNX5597S0SAC0233CYWFV.az (17150)\\CR!Y58HBTCKNX5597S0SAC0233CYWFV - Mike Lofgren.md'

I have installed ddrm and the kfx plugins for both input and output.

what should I do next?
abrogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:28 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Detailed help with removing DRM is not permitted on MobileRead. As it is, it appears that you are attempting to remove DRM from a KFX file. I would suggest reading through the Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre thread and asking for more detailed help at Apprentice Alf’s Blog.

You might also try updating your DeDRM plugin, the current version is DeDRM 7.2.1 .
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
In addition to what DNSB wrote, you should only import the main book file with the .azw extension into calibre from Kindle for PC. The .md file contains metadata and cannot be processed separately.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #4
abrogard
Zealot
abrogard began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for that.

I thought when I bought a Kindle book I owned the book. That's not true? There's DRM on it so's I'm restricted to reading it on the Kindle for PC?
abrogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:31 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
Thanks for that.

I thought when I bought a Kindle book I owned the book. That's not true? There's DRM on it so's I'm restricted to reading it on the Kindle for PC?
You can also read it on eink Kindles, on Fire tablets, in the Kindle app for Android and in the Kindle app for iOS. And of course you can remove the DRM and read on whatever device you wish.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2021, 08:41 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
I thought when I bought a Kindle book I owned the book.
If you buy a printed book you only own the paper on which its printed, not the content.

The issue with digital books is that the content can be copied merely by saying: "Alexa - please email a copy of the file Gabriel García Márquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude.epub to all my friends."

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote