Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
Chrissie
Chrissie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pw 2012
Updating and JB a 2012 PW - completely lost after hours

Hi, after my second attempt to do this and spending several hours I am even more confused than before.

Maybe an experienced regular could help me to find the solution.

I got a 2012 Paperwhite (the first edition) with 5.3.1 Firmware and I want to Jailbreak it, so that I can install this one specific PDF reader (forgot the name just now) and use custom screensavers.

BUT I also want/need to do a firmware update. The reason:
My current version has this very inconvenient old Bookmark system where I need to dig deep into the menu each time I want to load my latest bookmark.
This is actually the only reason for the planned firmware update since I hope a newer version will give me the newer bookmark system.

Here is my problem.... and the part where I got confused since there a so many different informations.
To which version of the Firmware can I update savely?
will a Firmware update fix my Bookmark problem?/ Will I have the newer Bookmarks after updating?
Where can I download the correct version of the firmware? I guess if I just update directly from the amazon site it will eliminate the ability to jailbreak it later, right?
Once the update is done, which version of the many jailbreaks is the right one for the 2012 pw?

Many questions, right? I hope I'm not asking too much

Thank you

PS: I use the Kindle almost exclusively in airplane mode
Chrissie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:50 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I have no idea if/when the bookmark system actually changed, but for the rest:

JailBreak first, as the final PW1 FW version (5.6.1.1) won't let you.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
Chrissie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I have no idea if/when the bookmark system actually changed, but for the rest:

JailBreak first, as the final PW1 FW version (5.6.1.1) won't let you.
Thank you SO MUCH ; ) This helps a lot!

Crossing my fingers now that everything will work the way I hope ; )
Old 07-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Chrissie

Oh... I forgot to ask...
After a successful Jailbreak... do the files have to stay in the root? Or can they be savely deleted? I didn't find anything mentioned about this in the docs.

EDIT: Well... this question answered itself. The files just disappeared ; )

Thanks again!

Last edited by Chrissie; 07-21-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:12 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The current bridge will store stuff in various places, that's by design.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert