Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2024, 08:54 PM   #1
Gruntbug
Gruntbug began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
How do I upgrade to 5.6.1.1 from 5.4.4 and not lose my jailbreak?

Short story: I have a jailbroken PW running 5.4.4 firmware but I need to be on 5.6.1.1 so the Amazon functionality works. How do I upgrade to 5.6.1.1 from 5.4.4 and not lose my jailbreak? I saw there is a "hotfix" at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597 but I'm not clear if that will re-jailbreak after I upgrade to 5.6.1.1.

Longer story
I bought a used PW (K5?) - serial starts with B02415. Firmware version 5.6.1.1.
I downgraded it to 5.4.4 then used the jailbreak kindle-jailbreak-1.16.N-r19326.tar.xz successfully. KUAL/KOReader etc works, but... it appears all of the Amazon/Kindle functionality won't work on this firmware version so I need to be on 5.6.1.1.

I have searched all through these forums and google and can't find a good answer. Do I install 5.6.1.1 manually then apply the hotfix (and then do I need to reinstall KUAL/KOReader)?

Thanks!
Gruntbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:00 PM   #2
Gruntbug

So after I posted and tagged it with 5.6.1.1 I found this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=271543 which almost answers my question with:
"you must make sure you are running the latest version of the jailbreak (1.13.N) and start using MrPI (MobileRead Package Installer) to install hacks."

My jailbreak was 1.16.N so I think I'm good there but I'm not sure how "start using MrPI (MobileRead Package Installer) to install hacks" affects my question.

Is this saying I just do the manual upgrade to 5.6.1.1 and the jailbreak will survive? and what about KUAL/KOReader? Will I have to install those again?
Old 01-04-2024, 12:58 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Jailbreaks survive exactly one (1) update or reset, which must be followed by a hotfix to preserve the jailbreak. Each update or reset also erases all packages, so those must be reinstalled.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:31 PM   #4
Gruntbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Jailbreaks survive exactly one (1) update or reset, which must be followed by a hotfix to preserve the jailbreak. Each update or reset also erases all packages, so those must be reinstalled.
Thanks! ok, great almost there... so correct me if I'm wrong... the process would be...
-upgrade firmware manually to get onto 5.6.1.1
-install hotfix 1.16.N from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597

I'm not sure of what a package is exactly in this context. Would that be KUAL? KOReader? The screensaver hack? Something else? or basically I just need to reinstall all the programs/apps I was using with the jailbreak?
Old 01-04-2024, 04:26 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
NiLuJe has recently posted that 2 consecutive reboots after an update or reset does the trick. Over the years he has also recommended reinstalling hotfix when it has been updated.

A package is anything installed as a kindle update and thus has to be signed. MRPI, KUAL, USBnetworking, KOReader, and screensaver hack are all packages. Non package user addons might or might not get erased by an update. A reset erases all user content.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:10 PM   #6
Gruntbug

awesome - will try shortly!
Old 01-04-2024, 10:33 PM   #7
Gruntbug

Ok, I got it all working. Here is what I did for any future visitors/googlers.

For PW1 on firmware 5.6.1.1

downgrade to 5.4.4: Download https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...ndle_5.4.4.bin Put file in root of kindle. While it's still connected via USB, hold power button for 20+ seconds til the Kindle reboots and the install occurs. It takes a while, be patient. Once it's fully restarted, you can check Device Info and see you are now you are on 5.4.4 and can jailbreak!

jailbreak your Kindle https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186645 In a nutshell... download k5 jailbreak from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030 and follow instructions

You are now jailbroken.

install everything you want/need. I installed KUAL with KOReader, gargoyle, kterm, pwchess and the screensaver hack.

manually install 5.6.1.1 - download the firmware from https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...le_5.6.1.1.bin - use USB to put it in the root folder of the kindle then go to settings and choose Update Your Kindle. Once that installs, check Device Info on your Kindle and you should be on 5.6.1.1

install hotfix: K5 JailBreak Hotfix https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597 follow the instructions

restart your Kindle twice, back to back

DONE! Enjoy!
Old 01-09-2024, 02:44 AM   #8
morrow
Enthusiast
morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/PW/KV
Funny, I wanted to downgrade for the custom font feature.
morrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags