Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-04-2023, 01:58 PM   #1
bheeshmpita
bheeshmpita began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
standard guide for removing DRM for kindle book using calibre

i have been using calibre but i haven't used drm removal plugin yet. Where can i find the tutorial/ guide for it. I have searched regarding this on reddit and youtube but it seems there isnt any standard tutorial for it (may be amazon keeps on changing the parameters for it)

-i have no kindle ereader but only the kindle app on android/ipad
-i can access calibre for both windows and linux

Thanks for your inputs

Last edited by bheeshmpita; 01-05-2023 at 01:44 AM.
bheeshmpita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:42 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:49 AM   #3
bheeshmpita
bheeshmpita began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
Thanks for sharing
i tried all methods except ereader (as i dont have one) and none of them works now.
Any other up-to-date source for this issue?
bheeshmpita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 05:22 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Buy a S/H kindle PW3 that's not blacklisted. Then simple.
But Calibre doesn't remove DRM, only the 3rd party plugin.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:55 AM   #5
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@owned by cats says in one of the later posts in @BetterRed link:
“ I did a bit more looking; found this github ticket. As of a few days ago, new books seem to be KFX-only (at least without getting an e-Ink Kindle). Whether they plan to apply this to earlier books I don't know.”
So the plot thickens…..
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 07:21 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
install an old version of kindle for PC - should be links in the forum. v1.17 is the one to look for. other links tell u how to prevent that updating.
if u have that working, there is no need to also own an e-ink kindle

there is no all-in-one-place-complete-instructions for-dummies, you have to do some googling/reading and studying so u understand what is going on.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 07:48 AM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
install an old version of kindle for PC - should be links in the forum. v1.17 is the one to look for. other links tell u how to prevent that updating.
Very new books (published in the last few days) seem to be KFX-only, so 1.17 won't work.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:52 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Very new books (published in the last few days) seem to be KFX-only, so 1.17 won't work.
Books published since Jan 3 can only be downloaded using the latest version of Kindle for PC. This change applies to books that are deliverable to e-ink Kindles in older formats so it is not related to KFX.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:07 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think it was inevitable that there would be no future to old versions of K4PC, unlike an actual Kindle, they have no reason to support old PC versions and it stopped working years ago for me on Linux and then XP.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:58 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
yes, unfortunately , I verified that just now and posted the results in another thread. books published last year shoudl be OK though , for today anyway !

also my K for PC immediately deregisters - when I close and re open it I am greeted by accept terms of use Y/N. I can say yes, re-register and still see my library , and downloaded previous purchases etc
i suspect amazon are forcing this remotely, as I redid the block updates stuff carefully following the advice given elsewhere on the board and not ad-libbing anything.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:42 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard

ok. so once I sorted my serial number and plug ins out. I could de-drm a azw file that amazon sends for a transfer via USB, for a book published jan 3.

that's a sample of 1, so no guarantee I could do that for ANY book, but maybe the current advice for OP is that if you buy a cheap old e-ink kindle from somewhere, then there';s a simple working method to get newly published books into calibre. no need to use kindle for PC at all.
Amazon could close that loophole at any time though

I don't have any new book purchases planned, so I can't do more testing, outside of prime reading, for now.

and maybe expensive new books have more elaborate protection

Last edited by stumped; 01-05-2023 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:53 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
and maybe expensive new books have more elaborate protection
Quite a few textbooks are KFX only and will not show Download and Transfer via USB as an option. Then there are languages that Amazon only supports in KFX.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:37 PM   #13
stumped
Wizard

Academic textbooks is a special case. Affects a tiny proportion 9f book buyers.
So Amazon have gotten away with new rules without much outcry.
But if Amazon imposed kfx only on all new fiction, then kindles older than paperwhite 3 would not work with those books.
Are there any figures for how many book buyers still rely on such older devices and would be disenfranchised?
I am thinking the only way they could do that is by offering a very cheap upgrade option for those people which 2ould be costly. Far more costly than what they lose due to ebook piracy ?

I don't think any kindle generation has been made obsolete yet ?
Old 01-05-2023, 02:46 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Academic textbooks is a special case. Affects a tiny proportion 9f book buyers.
So Amazon have gotten away with new rules without much outcry.
But if Amazon imposed kfx only on all new fiction, then kindles older than paperwhite 3 would not work with those books.
Are there any figures for how many book buyers still rely on such older devices and would be disenfranchised?
I am thinking the only way they could do that is by offering a very cheap upgrade option for those people which 2ould be costly. Far more costly than what they lose due to ebook piracy ?

I don't think any kindle generation has been made obsolete yet ?
I do not think Amazon would impose KFX only for old Kindles able to handle KF8 but not KFX. That would piss off a lot of customers.

I think Amazon may be switching to KFX only delivery on devices/software that can handle KFX. I hope I'm wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:15 PM   #15
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do not think Amazon would impose KFX only for old Kindles able to handle KF8 but not KFX. That would piss off a lot of customers.

I think Amazon may be switching to KFX only delivery on devices/software that can handle KFX. I hope I'm wrong.
Forcing an upgrade on pc and Mac could be a trial before doing something about kindles.

But if they offer a upgrade bribe only to owners of pw2 or older, that would piss off pw3 owners: And that would be a larger number .

the trade in, trade up offer for my pw3 is an unattractive £20, with no % discount on a newer model but I can't see the offers for models I don't own.