Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
From an Unlikely Source: A First Peek at the New Sony Reader Model?

New MobileReader pgt has made quite a splash with his first post, bringing to our attention a new model of Sony Reader that ABT Electronics is listing as "New Item- Not Available For Pre-Ordering"

Specs on it appear to be very similar to the current model, except that they seem to have increased the on-board memory, now boasting 160 books versus the current model's 80.

Other changes include a pretty drastic re-arrangement of the controls, as you can see from the picture. Oh, and it's silver.

Please join the on-going discussion here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
interesting. it seems to support the same group of formats as the current one and retains the usb 1.1 interface. as noted the only changes are in the color, layout of the controls, and the number of books that can be loaded to the internal memory.

for me at this point it is not enough of a change to to even consider trading "up" to the new unit.

Last edited by UncleDuke; 09-10-2007 at 01:33 PM.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
And what is with adding AAC to the list of formats? Is that supposed to be some kind of compensation for dumping Connect Music. When in Rome, do as the iPods do?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's always done AAC, jasonkchapman, it's not an addition, just not much commented on.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't at least jump to USB 2.0.

There may be some other, internal, changes that aren't apparent from the specs that might make it a bigger deal, we need more information to evaluate that, though.

Ah, yes, I meant to mention before: Can't tell if there's Vizplex on the rascal or not, but I'd be moderately astounded if there weren't.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
It's always done AAC, jasonkchapman, it's not an addition, just not much commented on.
Huh. Really? That would be my dazzlingly acute observational skills at work again, I guess.

Being an Ogg-Vorbis kinda guy, I guess I just never noticed.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post

I'm a bit surprised they didn't at least jump to USB 2.0.
* USB Port: USB 1.1 or faster USB Port (Optimal with USB 2.0)

Yes it is USB 2.0.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

That will be a nice improvement.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ugg. It's a tough decision for me I would love to have page controls on both sides of the device, but is it worth buying a new one? I'm not sure yet.
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
nesagwa
Connoisseur
nesagwa began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
* USB Port: USB 1.1 or faster USB Port (Optimal with USB 2.0)

Yes it is USB 2.0.
That just means it will go a little faster on a USB 2.0 port. Its not actually 2.0.
nesagwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #10
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
I wonder if the rather un-eventful revealing of this new iteration is intentional or not. There are numerous discussions and debates regarding whether SONY is providing enough media attention and marketing for their latest, greatest gadget, and releasing a unit like this for pre-sale on a home electronics company's website seems rather odd. (By the way, a google search for PRS505SC yields 2 links to Abt, then this forum thread).

In my opinion, this does not augur well for the next Reader's rollout.

By the way, there is also a dark blue model, PRS-505LC

I am excited that they have--ostensibly--improved upon the Reader, but have to question the quiet manner of selling it.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesagwa View Post
That just means it will go a little faster on a USB 2.0 port. Its not actually 2.0.
That means it's backwards compatible. Most USB 2.0 devices work with USB 1.1 and get the optimal speed from USB 2.0.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I wonder if the rather un-eventful revealing of this new iteration is intentional or not.
I suppose, if the listing mysteriously disappears in shortly, we may have a hint on that question, Cthulhu.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

My guess is that mabey ABT put the listing up too soon. There is nothing about the new model on Sony's website. And a search on google for either model number has come up with only ABT.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
At least they did mention that there are web sites with lots of free content for the Reader even if they did not mention MobileRead by name.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #15
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
My main issue will be deciding between Sony 505 and Cybook. If Sony has a better RTF display and sells in Europe and if Cybook doesn't support highlighting, I'll buy a Sony.
350 euros (Cybook) - 220 euros (Sony) = 130 euros. For a 113 euros saving I'll definitively pass Cybook's HTML, Vizplex and Mobipocket support. But if Cybook has a highlighting support of some kind, my decision is going to be very though.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote