Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your view of Calibre 4?
I love it. 9 50.00%
I hate it. 0 0%
I'm underwhelmed. 2 11.11%
I'm disappointed. 2 11.11%
I'm undecided. 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2019, 05:13 AM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Question Calibre 4: Am I really the ONLY one?

My simple "thanks, it's awesome" post re Calibre 4 was hijacked by someone who felt the need to repeat a statement made elsewhere that had no relevance to my post, offering a spectacularly specious excuse for doing so. That was disappointing, but the paucity of positive posts about Calibre 4 compared to the plethora of plaintive posts about it made me think a poll might be in order:

What's your view of Calibre 4?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:17 PM   #2
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I updated Calibe this morning while I was on my laptop. It looks the same as it always has. What's to hate? It does what I want it to do.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I updated Calibe this morning while I was on my laptop. It looks the same as it always has. What's to hate? It does what I want it to do.
The viewer has changed rather drastically.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The viewer has changed rather drastically.
I have tried it and do not like it. Maybe when I have used it more I will come to do so.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
It is now my default epub viewer for PC.

The only thing missing for me was already at the top of the developer's to do list so I'm as happy as a cat with cream .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2019, 07:25 PM   #6
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I never use the viewer. I just want to store and organize and de-DRM my ebooks so I can put them on whatever reader I want to. I rarely use the ebook viewer.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I need a poll option for "What? v4? I didn't know about that." I'll reserve posting an opinion until I have occasion to get and try out the new version.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:15 PM   #8
noraa
noraa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Beyond the reader (which I'll get to in a min), there doesn't seem to be any huge differences b/w 3.48 and 4.1.

The main interface is the same, and there aren't any new organizational methods in the library. I keep wishing for custom folder creation, but alas.

As far as the reader goes, I'm torn on it. On the one hand, I really like that the focus is now entirely on the book, with no toolbars anywhere. On the other hand, I really don't like that to get the old toolbar options, you have to right-click on the book, and then the options are overlaid on the book - blocking the view of the book. I wish there was an option to hide and show the old-style toolbar.

One final note, and I highly doubt this will ever change, I really wish Calibre had a more Mac-like interface, with proper keyboard shortcuts. Given, however, that not only is Calibre cross platform, free, and insanely powerful, I really can't complain.
noraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
[QUOTE=noraa;3903112]Given, however, that not only is Calibre cross platform, free, and insanely powerful, I really can't complain.[/QUOTE]

Why not? Those very factors haven't stopped hordes of others doing so loudly and at length
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:34 AM   #10
FulciLives
Connoisseur
FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FulciLives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (2017 Model)
At the end of the day, people hate change, and the Viewer in Calibre 4 does feel (or should I say look) very different. This is freaking people out.

As to whether the viewer is really better or not is almost a different conversation.
FulciLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #11
Tortuosit
Enthusiast
Tortuosit began at the beginning.

Device: Huawei Mate 20 X
It fails for me as an epub management tool, because I need to keep my epub file organisation. Tools of my choice keep my org + maintain their database.
Tortuosit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuosit View Post
It fails for me as an epub management tool, because I need to keep my epub file organisation. Tools of my choice keep my org + maintain their database.
AFAIK, you don't have to delete your original when you pass a document to Calibre. Keep your original in any organization you choose. Let Calibre keep its as it pleases. (Yes, there'll be two copies of the epub on your disk. So?)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuosit View Post
Which has nothing to do with the changes in version 4.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:30 AM   #14
Tortuosit
Enthusiast
Tortuosit began at the beginning.

Device: Huawei Mate 20 X
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
So?
So no. We probably both know book-sized dicussions about this design-decision and won't restart it here.
Tortuosit is offline   Reply With Quote