Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2023, 03:49 AM   #1
MRM66
Connoisseur
MRM66 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung A7 & A8 Tab.Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.00 & Kindle 2.
Question Kindle for PC Sign in problems after Windows 11 Update

Hi I was doing ok with Windows 10 and Kindle 1.17.0 version
Was able to download my books bought by usb option
Hower Kindle for PC woldn't work after updating to Win 11.

So I uninstalled kindle program and re installed the same Kindle 1.17.0 thinking that any other version would stop me converting???

The new books I buy are downloading to the PC ok
However kindle says I must sign in to read them of course

But when I sign in on kindle it says wrong password and blocks me fom everything on Amazon
I get the OTP popping up everytime and have to keep creating new passwords over and over

Can you help please?
MRM66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:29 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM66 View Post
So I uninstalled kindle program and re installed the same Kindle 1.17.0 thinking that any other version would stop me converting???
The thread Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre has information about workable versions of Kindle for PC and other alternatives for downloading Kindle books.

Quote:
The new books I buy are downloading to the PC ok
However kindle says I must sign in to read them of course
I am not sure what you mean. The Kindle app cannot download books unless it is signed in.

If you are downloading copies using the Download & Transfer function of Amazon's website then you must have selected a Kindle device or Fire tablet as the intended destination. If so that download will usually be locked to that particular device using DRM. Assuming that you own a Kindle and not a Fire tablet then that downloaded copy can be used for converting in calibre, assuming that is your intent. Kindle for PC is not needed for that.

If you just want to read on your PC and not convert you can use a newer version of Kindle for PC instead. There is even a more functional Kindle app available from the Microsoft Store for Windows 11 that is equivalent to Kindle for Android.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2023, 05:56 AM   #3
MRM66
Connoisseur

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The thread Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre has information about workable versions of Kindle for PC and other alternatives for downloading Kindle books.

I am not sure what you mean. The Kindle app cannot download books unless it is signed in.

If you are downloading copies using the Download & Transfer function of Amazon's website then you must have selected a Kindle device or Fire tablet as the intended destination. If so that download will usually be locked to that particular device using DRM. Assuming that you own a Kindle and not a Fire tablet then that downloaded copy can be used for converting in calibre, assuming that is your intent. Kindle for PC is not needed for that.

If you just want to read on your PC and not convert you can use a newer version of Kindle for PC instead. There is even a more functional Kindle app available from the Microsoft Store for Windows 11 that is equivalent to Kindle for Android.
I like to convert and save my books in calibre
As it helps me know which I have bought before and read.

I have been known to buy a book twice by accident, as find that covers and titles change such a lot.For the same book!

I am wary of using kindle for pc as it may make me unable to convert

But dont understand why an older version is refusing to let me sign in after uprading pc

It is just refusing my amazon password everytime I try...daily

Meaning I have to create yet another one daily to sign into amazon online
Am really stuck!
Old 04-13-2023, 02:32 AM   #4
MRM66
Connoisseur

So can I uninstall the Kindle Ap from my pc?
As it will not recognise my password and I have to keep creating new ones on Amazon itself too?
The books download to Kindle App but will not open because I am not signed into it.

I basically just want to download them & convert as normal when i had windows 10
Do I need the kindle App or can I uninstall it then?
And download books to the Download folder
Yes I have an old kindle
Old 04-13-2023, 08:35 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
If you have already downloaded the book to your PC and your goal is importing it into calibre then do that. Kindle for PC is not involved in the importing process.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2023, 04:15 AM   #6
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
If you have already downloaded the book to your PC and your goal is importing it into calibre then do that. Kindle for PC is not involved in the importing process.
So can I unistall Kindle for PC now and still download books and convert them in calibre?
Old 04-15-2023, 03:07 AM   #7
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thanks I have just uninstalled the old kindle for PC App that wont work.
Am able to still convert to EPub

But now cannot convert to Mobi

It shows up into the folder after conversion?
But is not the blue icon as usual and will not open
Any thoughts welcome
Old 04-15-2023, 03:29 AM   #8
MRM66
Connoisseur

Red face

Quote:

Any thoughts welcome
Just now noticed that ALL my MOBI books in calibre dont show up with the blue icon and will not open!
Was it a mistake to unistall the old kindle program after all?
Even though it would not accept my amazon sign in details?
Am really stuck now
Please help
Old 04-15-2023, 03:47 AM   #9
MRM66
Connoisseur

Reporting back again
Downloaded the old Kindle for PC again and guess what...All mobis show the blue icon again and are working!
So will not uninstall it again!
Not a good idea!

But back to the original problem
I cant sign into the old kindle app
Even though new books are in it
As it doesnt accept my Amazon sign in details for some reason

Plus each time I try it makes me change my Amazon account password and sometimes my email too!
Can you help?
Old 04-15-2023, 04:19 PM   #10
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Reporting back again
Downloaded the old Kindle for PC again and guess what...All mobis show the blue icon again and are working!
So will not uninstall it again!
Not a good idea!

But back to the original problem
I cant sign into the old kindle app
Even though new books are in it
As it doesnt accept my Amazon sign in details for some reason

Plus each time I try it makes me change my Amazon account password and sometimes my email too!
Can you help?
Calibre does have an ebook viewer that can be used even when the main calibre window is not open. It will open mobis, epubs, azw3. That your Windows did not want to open it anymore just means it doesn't know to associate it with the ebook viewer that comes with calibre. If you shift-right click on a mobi file in explorer, you have the option to select "open with" and select a new default program to use, e.g. the ebook viewer from calibre. You might have to manually search for it if it is not in the list of suggested apps.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:54 AM   #11
MRM66
Connoisseur

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Calibre does have an ebook viewer that can be used even when the main calibre window is not open. It will open mobis, epubs, azw3. That your Windows did not want to open it anymore just means it doesn't know to associate it with the ebook viewer that comes with calibre. If you shift-right click on a mobi file in explorer, you have the option to select "open with" and select a new default program to use, e.g. the ebook viewer from calibre. You might have to manually search for it if it is not in the list of suggested apps.
Thanks for that I didn't know. Calibre is my favorite Program
I just couldnt understand why uninstalling Amazon for PC (which for some reason did not like my sign in details...many times!)...made my 5,000 mobis not open.
So Amazon for PC is installed again... and unregisterd and unused ...and my mobis have their blue icon once more and can be read.
Old 04-16-2023, 04:25 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Any thoughts welcome
You do not want to convert to Mobi unless your Kindle is too old to handle KF8. If it's not too old to handle to KF8, then forget Mobi and convert to KF8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 12:10 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Thanks for that I didn't know. Calibre is my favorite Program
I just couldnt understand why uninstalling Amazon for PC (which for some reason did not like my sign in details...many times!)...made my 5,000 mobis not open.
So Amazon for PC is installed again... and unregisterd and unused ...and my mobis have their blue icon once more and can be read.
As DuckieTigger said, you don't need the Amazon program to read your mobis. You just need to associate the mobis with the Calibre viewer, using right-click and Open with.... After the association has been changed, the Kindle for PC can be uninstalled.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 03:50 AM   #14
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As DuckieTigger said, you don't need the Amazon program to read your mobis. You just need to associate the mobis with the Calibre viewer, using right-click and Open with.... After the association has been changed, the Kindle for PC can be uninstalled.
Thanks for that.
I have Epubs and Mobis in Calibre
About 5000 of them both Epub and Mobi.
Will they still open once Amazon changes as it keeps saying?
How do I asscociate the mobis with the calibre viwer then?
I have an old 2nd generation kindle
Also what is KF8 ?
Cant see it in Calibre Conversion list
Old 04-20-2023, 11:40 AM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Thanks for that.
I have Epubs and Mobis in Calibre
About 5000 of them both Epub and Mobi.
Will they still open once Amazon changes as it keeps saying?
How do I asscociate the mobis with the calibre viwer then?
I have an old 2nd generation kindle
Also what is KF8 ?
Cant see it in Calibre Conversion list
KF8=AZW3. But yeah, your old 2nd gen Kindle probably won't read AZW3.

As to opening the mobis with the calibre viewer, right-click on a mobi file. Select Open with..., then Choose another app. Tick the box "Always use this app" and then select the calibre viewer from the list. If the calibre viewer is not listed, click Look for another app on this PC. Navigate to Program Files -> Calibre2 -> and select ebook-viewer.exe.

After that, your mobi files should have a brown icon instead of blue and should open with the calibre viewer. You can uninstall the Amazon app then.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote