Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2016, 05:54 AM   #1
freaklikeme
freaklikeme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Kindle 4 - Factory reset does not work

Hey there,

so I have a really weird problem. My mom bought an Kindle 4 (used) on ebay.
The problem is now, that the kindle stays connected to the old kindle user.
And whats really weird is that nothing helps against it.
My mom was already in contact with the amazon support and they helped her alot, but nothing helped in the end.

Factory Reset -> Reboot and then automatically reconnects with the old user
Enable flight mode, factory reset -> Old user
Deleting the content (books etc.) over windows -> Reconnect and redownload

Even with flight mode enabled the books and the old user just keep comming back. I dont know how the kindle does this with no connection at all.
There has to be a hidden directory or something like that. But where?

I cant logout the user over the kindle, it just says there is a problem and i have to try again later.

So... what can I do now?

Firmware Version: 4.1.3

Last edited by freaklikeme; 11-07-2016 at 05:56 AM.
freaklikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid that this is a clear sign that the solid state storage on the device is faulty. There's nothing you can do about it other than to complain to the seller and get your money back.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Did she click on settings, registration and then click OK when the deregister screen popped up?
Try that if she hasn't already.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
Grefighter
Grefighter began at the beginning.

Device: KPW4, Voyage, KPW2, DX, K4NT
I just bought a used Kindle 4. When you power it up, the home screen should only have two items: Set up your Kindle & Archived items. When people sell their Kindle, they need first to deregister it from their Amazon account so new user can set it up and link to new user's Amazon account. It seems to me that your used Kindle is not deregistered.
Grefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grefighter View Post
I just bought a used Kindle 4. When you power it up, the home screen should only have two items: Set up your Kindle & Archived items. When people sell their Kindle, they need first to deregister it from their Amazon account so new user can set it up and link to new user's Amazon account. It seems to me that your used Kindle is not deregistered.
I have bought 3 used kindles.
The first thing I did on two of them was deregister. You do not have to be the original owner to do that.
The other one, I changed the language and then deregistered.
2 out of three were re-registered with no problems. The third one, I just called Amazon told them that the register screen was not connecting and Amazon immediately registered it to my account.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert