Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2024, 10:03 PM   #1201
jaceygan
Enthusiast
jaceygan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Is there any way we can use this to select a random unread book from My Book?
jaceygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 12:07 AM   #1202
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
NickelMenu: An integrated launcher for Kobo eReaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceygan View Post
Is there any way we can use this to select a random unread book from My Book?

There is no command for directly opening a book in Nickelmenu. Somebody would have to write an app that does that, which you then can call from Nickelmenu.

If you search the thread, you’ll see that many people want to call up the last read book, or a specific book, but all have been turned away disappointed.

Fun idea for a feature, though!
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2024, 12:16 AM   #1203
1ily
1ily began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Custom nickelmenu icon & label based on date

Hello! I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but I was able to customize Nickelmenu's icon and label. Is there any way to change the label and icon depending on the date? On Christmas, it'll change update the config file to use a christmas tree icon with the message "Merry XMas!", or a cake with a "Happy BDay" mesage on the user's birthday, etc.?

I added ".christmas.png" to the nm folder and these lines to the config file:

experimental :menu_main_15505_label :Merry xmas!
experimental :menu_main_15505_icon :/mnt/onboard/.adds/nm/.christmas.png

Thank you for making this amazing tool. I didn't add it until recently, but I've been missing out!
1ily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 11:10 AM   #1204
akadaedalus
Enthusiast
akadaedalus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ily View Post
Hello! I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but I was able to customize Nickelmenu's icon and label. Is there any way to change the label and icon depending on the date? On Christmas, it'll change update the config file to use a christmas tree icon with the message "Merry XMas!", or a cake with a "Happy BDay" mesage on the user's birthday, etc.?
Interesting idea. I may steal that from you.

It gets technical and I'm not going to be able to help directly but I first thought of "cron jobs". That's a scheduled job you can run a script to move in the wallpaper you want.

It won't do much though because the device is sleeping most of the time so the job won't run. A quick google suggests that a "rtc alarm" may do the trick instead.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=230489

That's the depth of what I was willing to research today. I think doing this will drain your battery but I could be wrong.

The other possibility is a script that runs when you wake the device, but I didn't find an answer for that with 30 seconds of googling.

Good luck and I'll watch this topic with interest.
akadaedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 04:54 PM   #1205
Acer
Acer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Libra2
HELP!!!
Hi guys!

I'm totally blond (no kidding). Got my Libra yesterday, love it but... the stupid bluetooth disconnects itself after more than 5 minutes of standby. I'm sick and tired chatting with Kobo support team so I decide to handle the matter myself with Nickel menu.
Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to write 2 simple lines in config file (other work well) so I'm begging for help!

All I need is:
1. nickel_bluetooth toggle on and off (from the main menu)
2. change Nickel menu label and icon (to something shorter and different from the original Menu respectively)

PLEASE!

THANKS in advance!

P.S. Does anybody tried to replace the so-called audiobook player on Clara, Libra, etc. to some actual player like this one?
https://github.com/Anrimian/music-player
That'd be a absolutely amazing addition to Nickel Menu, IMHO!
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2024, 05:01 PM   #1206
Acer
Acer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to beholdAcer is a splendid one to behold

Could someone please help me to add Bluetooth on and off to the Nickel Main Menu. Please!

and another line that changes NickelMenu label and icon (something shorter and different from the 'More' respectively)
Thank you!

Last edited by Acer; 02-14-2024 at 05:02 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-14-2024, 05:06 PM   #1207
Acer

Feature Request:

Default audiobook 'player' is a joke. It would be nice to add something simple like this one

https://github.com/Anrimian/music-player

or any other real player to my Libra2 and use it instead.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:30 PM   #1208
akadaedalus
Enthusiast
akadaedalus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
Could someone please help me to add Bluetooth on and off to the Nickel Main Menu. Please!
Congratulations on your new device.

I've been down that rabbit hole with my Libra 2. Unfortunately once the device goes to standby, it's not a simple matter of turning bluetooth back on with a command via NickelMenu or elsewhere. You have to go into the device settings to turn it back on.

Once it's back on, you can toggle it on and off with a command (I'll have to go look it up) but as soon as it goes to standby, that command doesn't work any more until you go into the settings and turn it back on. I never use the NickelMenu bluetooth toggle because of this.

A "feature" I totally hate about this reader that I otherwise love.
akadaedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:57 PM   #1209
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadaedalus View Post
Congratulations on your new device.

I've been down that rabbit hole with my Libra 2. Unfortunately once the device goes to standby, it's not a simple matter of turning bluetooth back on with a command via NickelMenu or elsewhere. You have to go into the device settings to turn it back on.

Once it's back on, you can toggle it on and off with a command (I'll have to go look it up) but as soon as it goes to standby, that command doesn't work any more until you go into the settings and turn it back on. I never use the NickelMenu bluetooth toggle because of this.

A "feature" I totally hate about this reader that I otherwise love.
Also some versions of FW have a bug where turning on BT also turns on WiFi. You then can go to WiFi and turn it off, without affecting BT.

Also I found a BT keyboard is no good for annotating as the connection "sleeps" after you've read a page or two.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:02 AM   #1210
Acer

Thanks guys! Gotcha! Libra 2 is an ebook reader, not an audiobook player! ��
Next question: any suggestions how to read 2 books at a time? i.e. are there any readers that I could add to Nickel Menu that support tabs?
Thanks!
Old 03-02-2024, 10:07 AM   #1211
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks guys! Gotcha! Libra 2 is an ebook reader, not an audiobook player! ��
Next question: any suggestions how to read 2 books at a time? i.e. are there any readers that I could add to Nickel Menu that support tabs?
Thanks!
No need for tabs. You have the swipe down from the top and you get three more recent books to pick from. This is while displaying a book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 11:30 AM   #1212
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Thanks!
Do you mean two books on the screen simultaneously?
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:17 PM   #1213
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
any suggestions how to read 2 books at a time? i.e. are there any readers that I could add to Nickel Menu that support tabs?
Have a 2nd ereader or swipe down to swap. It has 3 other books, so like having 4 tabs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 03:17 PM   #1214
two
two began at the beginning.

For some reason this did not work on my device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Success! Thanks for all the help. If anyone's interested, here's the script:
I followed this exactly, but it says could not run process: process exited with status 127 (src/action_cc.cc:889). Any ideas on why this happened?
two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 03:19 PM   #1215
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by two View Post
I followed this exactly, but it says could not run process: process exited with status 127 (src/action_cc.cc:889). Any ideas on why this happened?
Which firmware are you running?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, launcher, ldpreload, nickel