Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-30-2020, 06:28 AM   #1
lrpirlet
Connoisseur
lrpirlet began at the beginning.

Location: Belgium (sorry, I am from the Walloon side of the country and I speak french only)
Device: PW3, Kobo Libra H2O
Question Is library catalog title static?

I am using Calibre to manage quite a lot of books and documents. In order to better classify those, I have created a few more columns.

I like to visualize where the books stand so I created a column named “étagère” ( French for book shelf) that contain information such as FrmPF, FrmLR, PPdoc, whatever.

I have also a column named “Lu” (French for read) that contains either Yes, No or is empty. This is a very nice way of isolating the “new” document introduced in the library as they have nothing in “Lu”. The date is not a good indicator when coming from another library,

I have created several virtual library named {#étagère}-{#Lu}. So far, so good. BTW, I want to express my thanks to those who develop such a fantastic set of tools. Open source is the way to the most successful software like open hardware (remember Philips K7, that little crap hardware, that took over much better, but closed, patented, audio devices)… Anyway, I need to stay on track, I mean THANKS.

Now I like to create every so often a catalogue of each and every virtual library. The tool exists but the title seems to be a fixed character set. I did try to use something like “Mes livres de {#étagère}-{#Lu}” and the result is a catalogue textually named “Mes livres de {#étagère}-{#Lu}” instead of “Mes livres de PPdoc-Y”… If I try to create several catalogs of several virtual libraries I end up with one catalog containing the last processed virtual library (expected when the title remains the same).

I guess this is possible. I have some very basic (and recent) knowledge of Python… I must be honest, I could not even locate where the name of the library catalog is generated…

So is that behaviour expected? If yes, could I ask for that feature? Could I have a pointer in the sources to the catalog title? (I have no idea on the difficulties I am facing here but MAYBE it COULD be in my reach… I am more like a retired hardware engineer)

Thanks in advance for any answer.
lrpirlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You mean: Like this example?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalog name.PNG
Views:	128
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	178937  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
lrpirlet
Connoisseur

Location: Belgium (sorry, I am from the Walloon side of the country and I speak french only)
Thanks theducks… The attached thumbnail leads me to think that I could not make myself understood…

The problem is NOT to generate a catalog, not to give a title to the catalog… It is to give a name in the title box that would dynamically change as I change from one virtual library to the other… The name of the virtual library being made of {#étagère}-{#Lu}... I would like to produce, using only ONE string, different titles function of the selected library…

My request is: please could someone point me to the source (or module) so that I can verify if that is possible… The doc did not help me, I am lost looking in the sources...

My begging is: if that is possible could we include that feature in a future release (Unless I can do it myself and submit a patch in GitHub…)

Again thanks...
Old 04-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No the title does not support templates, it could be made to relevant code is in catalogs/epub_mobi.py
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
lrpirlet
Connoisseur

Smile

Thanks, kovidgoyal (Sorry If I misname you, I went teaching some computer technology in Bangalore… I only could make up that the naming convention are terribly different from what I am used to… But I learned that a smile is always a win. )
Advert
Old 05-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
lrpirlet
Connoisseur

OK, thanks to the indications received here, I now understand why the title does not, and should not, support template. Most of the fields are tied with each and every books… It would be difficult (if not impossible) to guess correctly a relevant title based on the fields pulled from all the books (imagine a virtual library made of several fields that would make it a subset of a subset of the library.)

Yet I still think it would be an improvement to set the title automagically when dealing with virtual library. I guess the best approach would be to create a new line when right clicking the virtual library tag. This command line would read "create a catalog of this virtual library".

This command line would use the actual create catalog, only forcing the default to be "my books from <virtual library name>"

Tags
catalog, title, virtual