Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-27-2020, 05:29 AM   #1
Adelaido
Adelaido began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Boox max 3 for online meetings

Hello everyone,

I am considering buying a Boox Max 3, mainly to reduce the amount of paper that I use and bring around in my travels.
I was wondering how the device behaves with online conference apps. My goal is to use the Max 3 as a whiteboard, sharing the screen during conference calls; although not fundamental for my choice, this would be a big plus.

So far I saw in posts and reviews online that:
- zoom has been succesfully installed and set up to by some users work like a whiteboard
- Cisco WebEx apps have been installed by some users
- Skype has been installed and used for some voice-only communication.

I am in particular interested in screen-sharing doing conference calls with WebEx Meetings and Microsoft Teams; has anybody already tried that or have some clues about how the experience would be?

Thanks!

A.
Adelaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #2
.kai
.kai began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max3, Kobo Aura ONE
Hi Adelaido,

did you get a Max 3 and have you had any luck with this? I'd be interested in your experience. Also can you provide a link for the Zoom/Whiteboard experience that you mention?

best wishes!
.kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2020, 07:24 AM   #3
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by .kai View Post
Hi Adelaido,

did you get a Max 3 and have you had any luck with this? I'd be interested in your experience. Also can you provide a link for the Zoom/Whiteboard experience that you mention?

best wishes!
I have used the Zoom app on a Max 2 (not 3) and found the experience well enough. I started and managed the Zoom meeting from my Laptop, to which also microphone and Webcam were connected, and started the Zoom app on the Max 2. There is a feature called "Share screen", with which you can join the meeting that is set up on the computer that only share the screen, not connect chat, audio, video etc. . On the Max (after confirming that you "stream" the screen to the Zoom app), I then switched to the note app and used it as a whiteboard. There was some lag between the writings appearing on the Max and on the Shared Screen on the computer, but it was manageable. (You write on the Max, so the lag there is short as always - no difference to your usual writing experience).

I have a Surface Book 2, which has a stylus, but found the experience of writing on the Max much better. (Used it even to share music scores from the Max with the MobileSheets app for analysis course).

So it works - if the small lag is not a problem for you and your meeting attendees. I presume that the experience on the Max 3 is even smoother due to faster processor and bigger RAM.

Best,
Jan
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:00 AM   #4
Adelaido

Hi, I actually did not buy it yet, but I plan to make my decision soon.
Best wishes!
A.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:02 AM   #5
Adelaido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjee View Post
I have used the Zoom app on a Max 2 (not 3) and found the experience well enough. I started and managed the Zoom meeting from my Laptop, to which also microphone and Webcam were connected, and started the Zoom app on the Max 2. There is a feature called "Share screen", with which you can join the meeting that is set up on the computer that only share the screen, not connect chat, audio, video etc. . On the Max (after confirming that you "stream" the screen to the Zoom app), I then switched to the note app and used it as a whiteboard. There was some lag between the writings appearing on the Max and on the Shared Screen on the computer, but it was manageable. (You write on the Max, so the lag there is short as always - no difference to your usual writing experience).

I have a Surface Book 2, which has a stylus, but found the experience of writing on the Max much better. (Used it even to share music scores from the Max with the MobileSheets app for analysis course).

So it works - if the small lag is not a problem for you and your meeting attendees. I presume that the experience on the Max 3 is even smoother due to faster processor and bigger RAM.

Best,
Jan
Thanks for your feedback!
A.
Advert
Old 09-12-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Thanks for sharing this. Very useful information.

The same method also works with the Note Pro on Microsoft Teams. It can be a bit glitchy at times, but it works fairly well. Much better than trying to use a mouse and a virtual whiteboard to write or draw. Will have to play around with it more.

You can also open up books in NeoReader and annotate them on the shared screen. Again, it can be glitchy on the Note Pro. It takes some playing around with but it works reasonably well once you get the hang of it.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:12 AM   #7
.kai
.kai began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max3, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
I have used the Zoom app on a Max 2 (not 3) and found the experience well enough. […]
Jan/Jayjee, thanks for the reply! I tried doing the same but without luck: When I draw in the Notes app on my Max 3 while sharing the screen via Zoom running on the Max 3, I first see my writing where the stylus touches the screen (which is good) but then see a magnified, mirrored duplicate of my writing in another location (which is not so great).

Any advice on this? I get this both at the original resolution as well as at a 200dpi resolution (which was recommended here).

cheeres,
Kai
.kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
It would be good to know if there is the possibility to connect a webcam via wifi and just use the eReader, as it has speakers and microphone. It could be a standalone platform to do the zoom/online meetings.

Any idea or test done?
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #9
adrians
Enthusiast
adrians doesn't litteradrians doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by .kai View Post
Jan/Jayjee, thanks for the reply! I tried doing the same but without luck: When I draw in the Notes app on my Max 3 while sharing the screen via Zoom running on the Max 3, I first see my writing where the stylus touches the screen (which is good) but then see a magnified, mirrored duplicate of my writing in another location (which is not so great).

Any advice on this? I get this both at the original resolution as well as at a 200dpi resolution (which was recommended here).

cheeres,
Kai
I get the same result and others have also reported this. Maybe the 3.0 firmware will correct some aspects of screen sharing.
adrians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:50 AM   #10
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Sorry for late reply - I have not used the Boox for teaching in a long time (semester vacation - and I am returning to physical lessons from next week - yippie!) - but I cannot remember that issue at all.

I have no time to check on that right now, unfortunately...

Best,
Jan
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conference, screen sharing, teams, webex