Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-26-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
Tior500
Tior500 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
How to sideload dictionary?

I'm sorry if I'm not writing where I should be, I'm new. Basically I have downloaded a dictionary (The Oxford Thesaurus - An A-Z Dictionary Of Synonyms by Mansoor Al Matrafi) it's in PDF, I converted it with calibre to mobi but it still wouldn't work, it doesn't function as a dictionary. Is there a way to somehow convert it so that it's a functioning dictionary of my kindle oasis?
Tior500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:39 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Have you read the dictionary FAQ?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=131137
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
A lot of PDF's aren't text but are images, pictures of text. You can convert them but they can't do many of the things books of text can do, such as flow. I suspect that would also hamper them as dictionaries.

Not all PDF's are images so this might not be your problem but most are images. It's worth checking out.

A quick (but not always valid) check to see if a PDF is images is to check the file size. They're usually many times the size a comparable length book would be if it was text. Of course books with text can also contain images so this can be misleading. But it's usually a good first check.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No scanned PDF can work as a dictionary. Some do have OCR, not proofed, to aid search.

A PDF dictionary only saves weight compared to paper, only slightly better to search and grossly inferior to a proper ebook dictionary on an ereader. Many are pirate copies.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, convert, dictionary