Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-07-2023, 01:23 AM   #1
Freddie572
Freddie572 began at the beginning.

Device: Clara 2e
LCD screen vs E-INK for manga

Hello so basically I bought a kobo clara 2e and before that I always did read manga on my iphone 12 at first I loved the clara bc of how it was easy to hold and convenient in bed for eye strain and to not be distracted, I also love the fact it looks like actual paper so at day I use real light on it with zero backlight on the e reader but the issue is that after reading few chapters on it I felt something weird I couldnt get myself immersed as much as I do with paper or even my Phone ! I started to do some research and thought that it was only bc of the size being too small it was probably a factor but I think the major factor after comparing my phone and my kobo is literally the quality/sharpness of the image. The lcd screen just looks better and looks the most like manga paper after the actual manga and that makes me sad bc i prefer an e ink screen so my question is does an e ink screen exists that looks as much as an ldc screen as possible. I’d like to make the best compromise to not have a lcd screen but the best possible quality for a manga with it. I read 80% manga on my e reader.
Ps: if you want to see what im talking about here’s a vid of a guy who saw more or less the same think, skip to 6:00 : https://youtu.be/d-vRjY7h8y0?si=1b-ft-Ux1BhwLeUZ
Freddie572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:24 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
There is no such eink screen.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:46 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Most manga is printed on very cheap newsprint, at least before it is collected into tankōbon. I guarantee the e-ink screen looks better than that.

I do read comics on a tablet. Partly because American comics are in color and partly because tablets are usually able to handle the larger file size of comics.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:28 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I do read comics on a tablet. Partly because American comics are in color and partly because tablets are usually able to handle the larger file size of comics.
I think 1 T Byte μSD are available and if it's not an Apple tablet. I was fixing up an old PC-Tower last two days with Win98/DOS7 so as to read old floppies (I can do that in theory on Linux, even CP/M, and a couple of hours ago I discovered one Linux box does have a real floppy port, a USB drive is very limited).
I wondered what was wrong with the 1.2 M 5.25" floppy drive (I think I know) and was thinking the smallest SMD IC on it is larger than a micro-SD card, which can store a MILLION times one floppy. And full size SD cards can have two chips in them.

I used the 160 G Byte 2.5" IDE HDD out of a dead Archos player to copy files to the Win98 box by putting it in a USB adaptor for source and into a 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE adaptor/carrier for Win98. Eventually managed to install a 3rd party USB storage driver. Except I didn't need to do any of it. Oh well, the Realtek AC97 drivers (Mobo supplier or other) crashed Win98, so disabled the Mobo AC97 and stuck in a SB Live! 1024 card, which surprisingly adds SB16 emulation for DOS. Perhaps I can play ancient games on it. I read all the old 3.5" DOS floppies but not yet the CP/M ones and got most of the files (1993 to 1999). Nothing exciting.

So a €250 10″ LCD Android with SD slot, or Nintendo Switch is amazing and makes a Win98 PC with expensive GFX look like junk.

My wife got a Nintendo Switch and apparently if you get bored with what might be the biggest game catalogue it can "read" comics and epubs (poorly for the ebooks I think). I got her "only" a 256 G byte micro SD card as the larger capacities are expensive. Probably the SD card is cheaper than a box of floppies in real terms in 1990s.

She's not tried comics (doesn't read them) or eBooks (has a Sage, did have PW3 originally). I think a Nintendo might be possible and it will drive an HDMI HD screen too. The OLED version is only a little larger. We got the LCD model. She has a 10" tablet but never uses it. Uses a laptop.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote