Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #121
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I have turned off the auto-rotate feature. I tend to read in some strange positions and don't want the text to rotate when I do! It DOES work great, though!
I only use autorotate when I demonstrate the unit. When you disable the position sensor the unit can has better battery life.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #122
batti
batti began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
So, for $30 more, you get a 6" screen and audio capabilities.
Apart from the G-Sensor (which, let's be honest, not too many people would use - and it's a battery drain), the 301 looks to be a better deal...
batti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #123
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by batti View Post
Apart from the G-Sensor (which, let's be honest, not too many people would use - and it's a battery drain), the 301 looks to be a better deal...
Don't forget the 360's cuteness factor! Everybody just loves it!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #124
batti
batti began at the beginning.

lol
Yeah, That's the reason I bought it
batti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #125
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by batti View Post
360 is more pocketable and I think it has better ergonomics.
And do not forget the lid. Very neat!

Last edited by kacir; 11-26-2009 at 02:43 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #126
Ebiumn
Connoisseur
Ebiumn doesn't litterEbiumn doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle Voyage
i would luv to join in this conversation, but mine has got lost somewhere over the pond
Ebiumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #127
ctkierst
Enthusiast
ctkierst began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook IQ
PB360 and micro SDHC cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not 100% sure but I think FAT32 would be pretty safe.

BOb
You would think so, but no. My new Mac Book Pro, running Snow Leopard, has two basic choices, "MS DOS FAT", and various flavours of "Mac Journaled". If I let the PB360 format the card, the Mac doesn't see it. If I pick either the DOS or the Mac Journaled, the Mac sees it, but the PB360 doesn't see any of the books. I'm rather flummoxed, since Yaroslav (customer support) told me he never formatted his cards, and they work fine. (The Mac insists on initializing any new card.) I've tried a Lexar 8GB micro SDHC, and a SanDisk 4GB micro SDHC. This makes it rather hard to install the latest firmware as well...
ctkierst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #128
ctkierst
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I do not understand.
My Mint Linux (an Ubuntu clone) has absolutely no problem accessing the microSD card or connecting to the PocketBook. The reader appears to the computer as a standard USB external disk (or a card reader or an memory key) - in other words a standard umass device.
Which part is the confusion? My old iBook G3, and the somewhat older Mac Book Pro (both running OS X 10.4.11) I have at work were unable to see the PB360 when I connected it to them (and I tried all of the USB ports on them). I initially thought it might be a cable problem, but when I took the reader over to the local Future Shop, before I started fooling around with cables, I asked the sales rep if I could try plugging it into one of his display MacBooks. Popped up within seconds. So, there's something about the older laptops that doesn't recognize the PB360. Now I'm running into issues trying to find a format that lets both my new Mac (MacBook Pro 13" Intel Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard) see the micro SDHC card. Until I can resolve this, I can't install the latest firmware upgrade

Last edited by ctkierst; 11-27-2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: additional details
Old 11-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #129
coredump
Enthusiast
coredump began at the beginning.

Try to format it on a windows machine.
coredump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #130
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctkierst View Post
Which part is the confusion? My old iBook G3, and the somewhat older Mac Book Pro (both running OS X 10.4.11) I have at work were unable to see the PB360 when I connected it to them (and I tried all of the USB ports on them). I initially thought it might be a cable problem, but when I took the reader over to the local Future Shop, before I started fooling around with cables, I asked the sales rep if I could try plugging it into one of his display MacBooks. Popped up within seconds. So, there's something about the older laptops that doesn't recognize the PB360. Now I'm running into issues trying to find a format that lets both my new Mac (MacBook Pro 13" Intel Core 2 Duo running Snow Leopard) see the micro SDHC card. Until I can resolve this, I can't install the latest firmware upgrade
try the latest version of the Firmware, it improved detection devices among multiple computers
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #131
ctkierst
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkosigan View Post
try the latest version of the Firmware, it improved detection devices among multiple computers
Uh, I can't install it since I can't get both my ebook reader and my Mac to see the micro SDHC card at the same time? (This was in an earlier post.)
Old 11-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #132
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Uh, I can't install it since I can't get both my ebook reader and my Mac to see the micro SDHC card at the same time? (This was in an earlier post.)
You can install the Firmware and from the internal memory (but in the case of a crane, reliable microSD card). Or download the updates when using a cardreader.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #133
ctkierst
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coredump View Post
Try to format it on a windows machine.
Found someone at work with a recent enough Windows machine that it had a card reader. Formatted the card to a FAT-32. When inserted back into the reader and the reader is connected to my Mac, the Mac just sees the reader (same for the Windows machine that formatted the card).

Thought I'd try copying the firmware upgrade to the card, and seeing if the upgrade would start. The upgrade went swimmingly, and now my Mac sees both the FAT-32 card and the reader!

So, I've manually copied some DRM-ed EPUB files over to the card, as well as some DRM-free ones that didn't display before. Yay! The reader sees the files and opens them! Woohoo! Even better, I just tried the other micro SDHC card, formatted by my Mac to MS DOS FAT-32, and it shows up.

Unfortunately, my copy of Adobe Digital Edition (1.7.1.1085) keeps crashing every time I open it with the reader connected (but not if already open) Ah well...

Last edited by ctkierst; 11-27-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: additional details
Old 11-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #134
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
You would think so, but no. My new Mac Book Pro, running Snow Leopard, has two basic choices, "MS DOS FAT", and various flavours of "Mac Journaled".
FYI: MS DOS FAT on the Mac is FAT32.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #135
ctkierst
Enthusiast

DRMed ePub issue

Ok, so I haven't been using my PB360 much (have to finish the library books before they're overdue), but did notice something odd. I was using the reader to kill time before a concert, and I choose a DRMed ePub. While reading the book, holding down the select/ok button didn't bring up the book menu as usual, and if I left the book, it didn't remember where I was when I went back. Luckily, holding down the page forward button seemed to cause it to jump forward in increments of 10 pages.

I'm hesitant to try another book at the moment until I finish this one Has anyone else seen this before? Is it because of the DRM, or the ePub, or something else?