Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Nia seems pretty much official now

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...black/14689279

I'm a bit disappointed, I was expecting a Forma refresh this year.
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Yeah there’s a thread on the nia https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329093

I don’t think anyone was questioning if it was official or if it was going to be a 6 inch device for quite awhile now. What with the FCC filings and cases being posted earlier.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
That looks very similar to the Glo HD (but less PPI than the Glo HD). The screen looks recessed, I wonder if it's capacitive touch or infrared. I also love that they went back to the subtle KOBO logo in just shiny black, how it is on the Glo HD. I dislike the white lettering on the black bezel, I had it on the original Glo and I just find it distracting.

Even if infrared though, it won't tempt me to upgrade from the Glo HD, especially after I swapped out the internal SDcard for a 32GB size, because of the lesser PPI. I wonder if that'll be doable on the new model. It might do if my Glo HDs someday die.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

I don't get it, the Nia is 130$ CDN and the Clara HD is 140$ CDN, what's the point...
Old 07-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #5
Mercador
I'm not a number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
It might do if my Glo HDs someday die.
How is your battery life?
Advert
Old 07-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #6
Mercador
I'm not a number!

Mods: I haven't see the post from April, can you fuse them please?
Old 07-02-2020, 06:32 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
Mods: I haven't see the post from April, can you fuse them please?
Not to worry. There are frequently several threads on the same topic and there’s no reason not to have a Nia thread in the Kobo forum, especially now that it’s available.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
Mercador
I'm not a number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Not to worry. There are frequently several threads on the same topic and there’s no reason not to have a Nia thread in the Kobo forum, especially now that it’s available.
Thanks! My bad, I searched only in this sub forum since it's the only one I visit.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Thanks! My bad, I searched only in this sub forum since it's the only one I visit.
Sorry, wasn't trying to imply you were in the wrong, or should delete this thread. Just that the Nia's been pretty official now.

Multiple threads almost always happen between this sub-forum and the news sub-forum when a new kobo is going through the FCC etc. I suspect we'll have yet another thread there when the Nia actually launches.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:09 PM   #10
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
I don't get it, the Nia is 130$ CDN and the Clara HD is 140$ CDN, what's the point...

Absolutely.

For 10$ more, you get a 300dpi Clara, versus a 212dpi Nia.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:53 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
How is your battery life?
Still great, I read daily usually 1-3 hrs and charge maybe every 2 weeks or so. But I also have 2 spares by a post office fluke, so it would really take something super for me to be tempted to change.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:01 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
That looks very similar to the Glo HD (but less PPI than the Glo HD). The screen looks recessed, I wonder if it's capacitive touch or infrared...
Pretty sure it's capacitive. The Nia looks to be a Tolino Page 2 hardware clone, so you can see all the specs here...

https://mytolino.com/tolino-page-2/t...tolino-page-2/
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:06 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Absolutely.

For 10$ more, you get a 300dpi Clara, versus a 212dpi Nia.
I think from the time the Clara was introduced the Kobo Aura 2 HD was officially listed as being $10 less than the Clara, but (in the United States anyhow) the Aura 2 was often heavily discounted. At one point Walmart was selling them for $50 and for several months they sold them for $70. I'm guessing that, in the U.S., they'll be priced to compete with the Kindle Basic.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:39 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
We already have a thread on the new forthcoming Kobo Nia and this thread should be merged with it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329095
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...black/14689279

I'm a bit disappointed, I was expecting a Forma refresh this year.

There's still 6 months left.

And Mother's Day is only 11 months away. (2121)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote