Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-12-2020, 11:23 PM   #3856
Woh
Woh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3 G090G1
I mean I just said above I got it working, but it doesn't show up under KUAL or MRPI.

But how is it a loaded gun?

Just root priviledges on the device or something else?

I come from a linux background so that part is fine.
Woh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #3857
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Can't really tell you much without knowing what you did, exactly.

"not showing up under MRPI" makes no sense at all, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Other than that, the hack definitely ships with a KUAL extension, so, if you don't see a top-level USBNetwork entry in KUAL, I smell PEBCAK.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2020, 10:10 PM   #3858
Woh

Quote:
Can't really tell you much without knowing what you did, exactly.
I just dropped the extracted USBNetwork folder from the Snapshot thread on the root dir (I assume /mnt/us) of my recently jailbroken PW3. Typing ;un on search causes it to go into RNDIS mode at which point I can ssh in and remount rw etc.

Quote:
In the package's README.

It is sparse on purpose. If you need it, you're supposed to have a vague idea of what you're doing, because it is kind of a loaded shotgun.
am I to assume you mean this?:

Quote:
=== Install/Uninstall/Upgrade ===

just use the appropriate update file and install it the appropriate way:
Because that is a joke.

Quote:
I smell PEBCAK.
You smell PEBCAK because that's exactly how you've orchestrated it, from looking through the forums A LOT you seem to revel in both obscuring documentation in any meaningful sense, while at the same time continually get asked the same questions over and over, without making the connection of those two disparate states.

I've literally seen posts where you slough off someone suggesting the wiki contain the most up to date documentation, since it isn't convenient for you. Forums and crosslinking has never been a conducive method for transmitting knowledge to large amounts of people. It has however very distinct benefits for those who enjoy gatekeeping and deriding others who know less than you.

While I appreciate that you're doing unpaid support work for a popular project and you get pestered with questions you'd rather not answer, documenting what people should do and in what order is something that is necessary if only to help cut down on the sheer amount of questions you'll need to answer afterwards. I'm even willing to help with documentation on the wiki if I can at least begin to understand how it's all put together.

I eventually went through the MRPI thread again and installed the USBNetwork using that method and the button now shows up under KUAL. I'm honestly mystified how I was managing to get a RNDIS connection working before but it did work somehow.

I've decided to go ahead and update the wiki in the appropriate places so others can sort out how to do things instead dealing with the forums. I created a short MRPI stub as well and think the " Move KUAL What's New " page should be moved to "KUAL" and sub articles broken out from there. If someone can move the page (I lack perms) I can begin editing.

Last edited by Woh; 10-13-2020 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling correction, toned down harshness
Old 10-13-2020, 10:40 PM   #3859
Woh

I'm thinking you deleted my last post from the forum, regardless I've created a template others can respond with when noobs ask for help without enough information.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Asking_a_question
Old 10-14-2020, 09:13 AM   #3860
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Woh:

First things first: there's an auto-moderation system in place on the forum. Your post simply tripped that, because you're a new account, the post was longish, and included multiple quotes. The system doesn't like that, because that's indicative of pyramid-quoting spambots. In the same vein, links, and inlined media would also have weighed towards automatically throwing a post in the mod queue.

----

Second: Poeple usually conflate install with usage. My original answer assumed that the issue truly lied in usage, not installation instructions.

Because, yeah, install instructions are essentially "put file in folder, click button". And that's not really all that interesting to repeat seven hundred billion times. And, on your target device, that bit of documentation belongs in MRPI, not individual packages.
Hence why individual packages says "do it the usual way". Because "the usual way" is highly contextual, and barely relevant to said package's documentation. It's a bit of info covered by the original JB instructions.

Now that you've *actually* answered the simple question I asked precisely for the purpose of figuring out whether the issue lied in install or usage, I can tell you that, yeah, you originally did it wrong. As you yourself explained, going through the MRPI thread to read its doc and then install it through that was precisely the right way to approach this.

Your initial confusion may stem from the fact that you're replying in a ten-year old thread that's absolutely not targeting your own device, which probably didn't help you getting documentation relevant to your specific case.

Like I said: it's highly contextual.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-14-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Advert
Old 10-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #3861
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Any constructive help making the Wiki more relevant is always appreciated. As you've noticed, I'm not generally a huge fan of third-party documentation, because it's often extremely roundabout, outdated, or just plain wrong, but I do acknowledge that the wiki format is helpful, and as far as the MR wiki is concerned, I do check from time to time that it's not recommending obviously crazy stuff.

But I no longer have the time/will to duplicate documentation in different places, so, what I consider canonical can mainly be found on the forums, or the embedded doc. And it *will* happily take shortcuts and resort to cross-references to make it slightly less gnarly to grok for newcomers, while the Wiki will try to deal with all corner-cases possible (of which there are *many*), which I don't personally find all that user-friendly (but not unhelpful).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-14-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #3862
Woh

Hey NiLuJe,
thanks for this reply. I've begun some of the wiki editing / clean-ups where I thought appropriate and engaged with DaleDe for more guidance on wiki best practices.

I think I'll try to add as many of these documentation hurdles to the wiki as possible so others can benefit. I can understand that's not something that interests you and you do a huge amount of creation in other areas. I've recently begun tinkering with your fbink program to begin using my PW3 as an external display for a RPI4 project. It's been invaluable.

I may try to hit you up again in the future if I need clarification on certain things as part of the documentation effort.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:00 PM   #3863
AntoS
AntoS began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
THANK YOU BRO! I JUST LOVE IT
I have only one problem: i Installed ScreenSavers Hack and it doesn't work... when the PW4 is locked it says " the screensacer hack is currently in cover mode, but hasn't yet successfully processed a book cover", i know there are covers because i saw it with Calibre. Do you know what can i do?
AntoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #3864
barabanus
barabanus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Dear NiLuJe,

Could you please provide me with uninstall zip for jailbreak 0.7.N

I successfully used the jailbreak for ten years, but now I'd like to install k3chess kindlet, but it seems to require the latest jailbreak version. I tried to find kindle-jailbreak-0.7.N.zip, but all the links I found were broken.

Also, let me humbly suggest you to either keep archive of obsolete jailbreak version here, or keep "update_jailbreak_0.7.N_k3g_uninstall.bin" within the kindle so that there were always possibility to uninstall jailbreak easily.
barabanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #3865
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@barabanus: (My) uninstallers are (and have been since day one) backwards compatible. You can use a current one to uninstall ten year old stuff, it'll do the right thing.

Non-MRPI legacy hacks are frozen in the legacy thread. They're technically frozen snapshots, so I highly recommend using the actual up to date snapshots via MRPI instead, though.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:20 AM   #3866
jdgszorro
jdgszorro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Dyslexia problem

Hello,

first of all thanks by fonts Hacks,
I have a daughter with dyslexia and then I've instaled the jailbreak and font hack in a kindle 3 Keyboard Wifi with firmware 3.4.3 wihtout any problem.

I can change the default font copying one of the font package availables in your page but when I try to copy a new font like Opendyslexia for her, only the UI change the font. I have the regular,bold, bolditalic, italic in otf format. I converted them to TTF and use it.
I tried too to use Sarakanda TTF another font designed for dyslexia problem with the same problem, only can change the UI.

I don't know what it is the problem with these TTF fonts.
Can you help me.

Thank you very much.
jdgszorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #3867
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jdgszorro: Check which types of files you're reading (legacy M7 or KF8. Spoiler alert: it's probably KF8), and then read the docs again, you'll realize you probably want to enable browser support to get KF8 handling.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:50 AM   #3868
alevinetx
alevinetx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 nt
where is lipc ?

I'm feeling a bit thick here.

Kindle 4, with the side buttons, no touchscreen.

It has usbnet already installed (lucky me?), and I'm able to ssh in, all good.

Is lipc and family not present by default on the k4, or is it only in your usbnet packages? I expanded one and could not find it there, either.

/usr/lib/liblipc.so does exist, fwiw.

All help appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited by alevinetx; 02-21-2021 at 04:53 AM.
alevinetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #3869
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@alevinetx: Is there an actual reason behind your query?
Old 03-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #3870
alevinetx
alevinetx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 nt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@alevinetx: Is there an actual reason behind your query?
I'm trying work through some of the documentation, with the command sets, using the jb system, etc. As that's one command frequently mentioned, I'm lost in trying to find it.
alevinetx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet