Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
wetbehindtheears
wetbehindtheears began at the beginning.

Device: none
big screen + annotation = students

Hi guys, I have been looking for an eReader for the last couple of weeks. But as I am new to this world I would like to ask for your help as you seem to be experts on this topic. So here is what I am looking for in an eReader:

- E-Ink
- preferably a bigger screen – as I would like to read scientific articles
- note taking, underlining, highlighting
and for of course I would prefer if it responded quickly and didn’t pull tricks on me (freezing down and other tech problems that are of a great challenge for me)

The first 3 conditions are “must”. As for the last condition, I don’t want to buy a poorly working bad eReader, which just makes you frustrated. However as far as I have seen in the reviews and youtube videos none of the eReaders work fine. They often don’t respond to the touch of the stylus, just after several trials and so on.

So can you recommend me something that fits my conditions?!

Thank you in advance!
wetbehindtheears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Can I ask why e-ink is an absolute necessity for you? A tablet would fit your other needs (scientific articles) far, far better. I suggest reading the last few threads we've had recently on the best device for reading scientific articles.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I agree with meeera. I'm a researcher and spend hours working with scientific articles every day, and while I initially wanted to do so on e-ink, I don't think they are very well designed for that purpose. I've written more about e-ink versus tablets for academic work here.

What are your reasons for the e-ink preference?
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
First two answers, and already we can witness reading incomprehension, absolutely irrelevant comments not answering the question.
He said :"The first 3 conditions are “must”."
He did not ask you to debate whether E-ink or LCD was better. He does not want you to question his preferences.

My answer : wait for the Sony 13.3" reader demonstrated this summer :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213019
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
First two answers, and already we can witness reading incomprehension, absolutely irrelevant comments not answering the question.
They also said they wanted an ereader that wouldn't make them frustrated.

Quote:
He did not ask you to debate whether E-ink or LCD was better. He does not want you to question his preferences.

A device that doesn't exist is clearly a far better solution for the user's needs. Congratulations on being the only reasonable, helpful person in this thread.

OP: really, why eink? If we know your reasons, we might better be able to help you work your way round to a device that won't fight you every step of the way. You've got at least two people in this thread who both deal with scientific articles and have experience with both eink and tablet devices.

Last edited by meeera; 10-08-2013 at 10:50 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbehindtheears View Post
Hi guys, I have been looking for an eReader for the last couple of weeks. But as I am new to this world I would like to ask for your help as you seem to be experts on this topic. So here is what I am looking for in an eReader:

- E-Ink
- preferably a bigger screen – as I would like to read scientific articles
- note taking, underlining, highlighting
and for of course I would prefer if it responded quickly and didn’t pull tricks on me (freezing down and other tech problems that are of a great challenge for me)

For the time being I would recommend using e-ink reader and tablet simultaneously, because regrettably there is no such device.

Tablet can not just be used simultaneously for better handwriting experience compared to the best 10" e-ink readers at the moment like Icarus/M92, but also for color, quicker searching, multitasking with multiple dictionaries and documents, to avoid frequent zooming when references section font is to small on e-ink, frequent page jumping to the cross-references at the end of book/chapter etc.

Last edited by markom; 10-08-2013 at 02:12 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I can read perfectly well, thank you very much, and would appreciate it if you would lay off the snotty attitude. My post is highly relevant, and if you can't see that, perhaps you are the one who has challenges with comprehension. I wrote it because I have been there done that with e-ink, and concluded that it is not a good solution for working with academic articles in pdf format. I wish I had been alerted to the disadvantages of e-ink with regard to pdf files at an earlier stage in the process when I was making my own purchase. If the OP is fully aware of the pros and cons of e-ink versus tablets, then I'll happily work with his/her premise of preferring that technology - but whether that's the case can't be assessed from the information in this thread, which is why we both asked about the reasons for including e-ink as a criteria.

Last edited by jojoba; 10-08-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
wetbehindtheears
wetbehindtheears began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for all the replies! They were really informative.

I decided to make e-ink a must condition, because when I have been in front of my laptop for 8 hours in one go my eyes got really sore. So I wanted e-ink to be able to read my books on science from dawn to night or at least for 5-6 hours without damaging my eyes.

And as I have never head an eReader I welcome any useful peace of information!!! (I tried to read about the subject on this forum, but still I feel a bit lost)

It might be a stupid question, but what will happen if I upload a pdf onto an eink device that has pictures and coloured titles in it?
wetbehindtheears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
They show up in white/grey/black. If your pictures are diagrams they may become just unusable, if your heading is in light blue it can become unreadable, but on the other hand there are many pdf-files you can read without any loss of information.

Last edited by Billi; 10-10-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
jojoba
Addict

OP, you might find this thread helpful

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...92#post2561089