Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-24-2022, 09:43 PM   #46
elinkser
Groupie
elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Works on Clara HD

These instructions worked great for the most part for my Kobo Clara HD with alpine-minirootfs-3.17.0-armv7.

I found I needed the following two changes.

1.FBINK-XDAMAGE NOT COMPILING:

I used instead:
git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/tux-linux/fbink-xdamage.git

2.ONBOARD KEYBOARD NOT DISPLAYING AT STARTUP (not consistently):
* Edit: this was resolved in post #54.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=54

I used svkbd-mobile-intl:
apk add svkbd

I did make some other changes for various reasons.

1.APPS TOO CLUNKY OR OTHER:

I substituted qterminal, qpdfview, netsurf, and tigervnc/tigervnc-client for xterm, firefox, and xvnc.
I also used a 1GB image size (dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/onboard/alpine.img bs=1M count=1024) which only left me with a couple of hundred MB free space.
But after compiling the fbink_xdamage binary, I saved it and the Release folder with the fbink libs.
You can delete the dev packages, firefox etc., so it fits nicely in a 1GB alpine.img file - easy to back up in case you bork it.
But see step 12 below for an even more compact and flexible backup!

2.TO NOT RELY ON DRAG AND DROP OR WINDOW RESIZING:

To get the desired placement of a keyboard in the lower third of the screen, terminal in the upper two thirds of a screen, and browser covering the whole screen, the last lines of my xorg-chroot.sh looked like this:
#DISPLAY=:0 xterm -e "/home/root/dpi.sh;sh"
DISPLAY=:0 qterminal --geometry 1400x620+20+60 &
DISPLAY=:0 netsurf --scale 150 &
#DISPLAY=:0 vncviewer -geometry 1400x960+20+60 192.168.43.9 &
DISPLAY=:0 svkbd-mobile-intl -g 1400x320+20+700 &
#DISPLAY=:0 dillo -g 1400x960+20+60 &

3.NETSURF BROWSER ELEMENTS TOO TINY:

Added file .config/netsurf/Choices:
font_size:192
accept_language:en
block_advertisements:1
send_referer:0
animate_images:0
enable_javascript:0
url_suggestion:0
window_x:20
window_y:60
window_width:1400
window_height:960
toolbar_status_size:6673
button_type:3
disable_popups:1
toolbar_items:back/history/forward/reloadstop/url_bar/copy/paste/showbookmarks/downloads/zoomplus/zoomminus/openmenu
bar_show:menu/tool

Added file .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:
scrollbar slider {min-width: 30px;}
default-decoration {min-height: 40px;}
default-decoration.titlebutton {min-height: 36px;}

*I couldn't figure out how to make the menu elements bigger. A workaround is to install netsurf on your desktop and familiarize yourself with the menu elements, so you can more easily recognize them on your kobo.
*** UPDATE: This is resolved in comment #51

4.TASKBAR TOO TINY:
You really need to be able to click on the taskbar to select keyboard for input, or change apps.
I modified the following line in .config/tint2/tint2rc:

# Panel
panel_items = SLCT
panel_size = 100% 60
panel_position = top center horizontal

5.MY PREFERRED FILEMANAGER MC WORKS BETTER IN BASH SHELL:
I installed bash and mc, and changed the symbolic link /bin/sh to link to /bin/bash.
Note:if using mc remotely from your desktop by telnet, you have to "export TERM=xterm" to run mc.
I added these lines to .bashrc to keep command-line history from getting cluttered by mc:

HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth
shopt -s histappend

While in X, you may prefer a GUI filemanager like pcmanfm.

6.FOR RUNNING ALPINE CHROOT FROM A KOREADER TERMINAL (WITHOUT X):
I added /mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/scripts/chalpine.sh:

#!/bin/sh
mount /mnt/onboard/alpine.img /mnt/user
#mount -v --bind /mnt/onboard/shared /mnt/user/shared
mount -v --bind /dev /mnt/user/dev
mount -vt proc proc /mnt/user/proc
mount -vt sysfs sysfs /mnt/user/sys
cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/user/etc
chroot /mnt/user/ /bin/sh

So from the KOReader terminal I just run "chalpine.sh" to get into the alpine chroot without X, where I can still run elinks, etc.
I also added /mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/scripts/chalpined.sh:

#!/bin/sh
umount /mnt/user/dev
umount /mnt/user/proc
umount /mnt/user/sys
#umount /mnt/user/shared
umount /mnt/user

So to get out, I can run
sync
poweroff
OR
sync
exit
chalpined.sh

Optionally, create directories for sharing data from in (/mnt/user/shared) and out (mnt/onboard/shared) of chroot by creating those directories and ucommenting above lines.
Also add to your xorg-boot.sh the same line i.e.:
mount -v --bind /mnt/onboard/shared /mnt/user/shared

*SECURITY NOTE*
First thing in the chroot, you should create a non-root user and give it a .config folder:

adduser myuser
cp -r /home/root/.config /home/myuser/
chown -R myuser:myuser /home/myuser/.config

Then install and configure sudo for the non-root user:
apk add sudo
Run "visudo" to edit /etc/sudoers to append these lines (don't worry if visudo says you're saving to sudoers.tmp - visudo is just doing a preliminary check before writing - you can check the edit was made by running "less /etc/sudoers") :
myuser ALL=NOPASSWD: /bin/sync #ok maybe didn't need this one
myuser ALL=NOPASSWD: /sbin/poweroff

So, when running a chroot in the KOReader terminal:
Each time you enter the chroot you switch to non-root by "su - myuser" or "/bin/login".
To become root again, you exit once, and to leave the chroot, you sync then exit a second time.
(You can check you are no longer in the chroot by running "df".)
Then unmount the chroot as before by running chalpined.sh.

And when running a chroot from X as in STEP 13 below:
You can
sync
sudo poweroff
right from the user account.

Don't get complacent about the "sync", like I did and ended up with an unreadable but undeletable file.

CAUTION: You know how Nickel does all that background work when you connect USB cable to desktop, click "connect", then later unmount?

Well, there may be a risk of data corruption if you had a loop mounted file, e.g. Alpine chroot.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...38&postcount=2

So better don't try this. But if you DO connect a USB cable, either exit the chroot and unmount the loop first, OR click "cancel" and use SSH/Telnet networking instead. (I have done this for months.)

7.FOR RUNNING ALPINE CHROOT FROM NICKEL MENU (WITH X):
First I turn on networking.
Then I set the orientation to landscape.
Then I run Xorg.
The nickel menu entries look like this (note:moved xorg-boot.sh into mnt/onboard/opt/):

menu_item :main :Xorg :cmd_spawn :quiet:exec /mnt/onboard/opt/xorg-boot.sh
chain_success :dbg_toast :Started Xorg
chain_failure :dbg_toast :Error

# Nickel_Orientation Actions
menu_item : main : Orientation - LANDSCAPE - handle above : nickel_orientation: landscape
menu_item : main : Orientation - LANDSCAPE - handle below : nickel_orientation: inverted_landscape
menu_item : main : Orientation - PORTRAIT - handle on left : nickel_orientation: inverted_portrait
menu_item : main : Orientation - PORTRAIT - handle on right : nickel_orientation: portrait
#

To leave the Xorg environment, I enter
sync
poweroff
from the qterminal.

8.FOR RUNNING EINK BROWSER ON MY KOBO REMOTELY FROM MY TABLET:
Install droidvnc_ng and einkbro on your android tablet and run them in landscape mode.
Run "vncviewer -geometry 1400x960+20+60 192.168.43.9 &" (or whatever the droidvnc address is) in a qterminal.
A tiny little window will pop up - it is for your vnc password. Just enter it and you will have a nice full screen eink browser screen, with input touch enabled on your Kobo!
(You may have to stop and restart the droidvnc for adjusting the slider to the right size setting.)
Eink browser toolbar setting can be set to include pageup and pagedown buttons.

HOWEVER...Consider the security implications of accessing a secure device (phone that you do banking/email on) from an insecure device i.e. ereader.

9.FOR RIGHT CLICK AND DRAG AND DROP:
Enter the following time delayed commands in a qterminal, then move the pointer to the right place:

xdotool sleep 2 mousemove_relative -- -60 0 click 3
(you have 2 seconds to touch up to 60 pixels to the left of where you want the right click.
The mousemove_relative -- -60 0 is to avoid the left click when you position the pointer on a link.)
xdotool sleep 2 mousedown 1 sleep 4 mouseup 1
(you have 2 seconds to touch where you want to start a drag, then 4 seconds to touch where you want to end it)
*Python programmers are welcome to add functionality to the main driver!

In the meantime, you can activate these by clicking on a taskbar icon by adding to the Launcher section of the .config/tint2/tint2rc file from above:
#-------------------------------------
# Launcher
launcher_item_app = onboard.desktop
launcher_item_app = svkbd.desktop
launcher_item_app = qterminal.desktop
launcher_item_app = netsurf.desktop
launcher_item_app = vncviewer.desktop
launcher_item_app = xdodd.desktop
launcher_item_app = xdorc.desktop

Then copy usr/share/applications/xvkbd.desktop to usr/share/applications/xdorc.desktop but edit it to: "Exec=xdotool sleep 2 mousemove_relative ---60 0 click 3"
Or to whatever the offset you want for right clicks.
And copy usr/share/applications/xvkbd.desktop to usr/share/applications/xdodd.desktop but edit it to: "Exec=xdotool sleep 2 mousedown 1 sleep 4 mouseup 1"
(Assuming you had the xvkbd apk installed - otherwise copy from the qterminal.desktop.)
Similarly create or edit the other .desktop files in /usr/share/applications/ folder.

*UPDATE: Comment #51 offers an alternative right click method, and also PgUp/PgDn using 2-finger swipes, but it only works with libinput driver as in comment #48. I have an evdev tool that is not working yet.

10.FOR NETWORKING (E.G. TELNET) OVER USB CABLE INSTEAD OF WIFI:

***SECURITY REMINDER***
Telnet sessions are in cleartext INCLUDING LOGIN SESSIONS, so only use on a private network, if at all!
If you always have DEVMODE set to ON for whatever reasons , that means Telnet is on by default, unless you toggle it off , e.g. using NickelMenu.

You can install KOReader to get the more secure SSH option, and NiLuJe's kobostuff provides a package that includes an SSH binary.

You can start the KOReader SSH server via NickelMenu.

See instructions at https://www.yingtongli.me/blog/2018/...elnet-usb.html
Instead of automatically enabling it, I created a nickel menu item:

menu_item :main :USB Networking on :cmd_spawn :quiet:exec /mnt/onboard/opt/usbtoeth
chain_success :dbg_toast :Started USB networking
menu_item :main :USB Networking off :cmd_spawn :quiet:exec /mnt/onboard/opt/usbtoethd
chain_success :dbg_toast :Stopped USB networking

So to connect the Kobo with my desktop over the USB cable:
1.On Kobo, select"USB Networking on" from the nickel menu.
2.Connect the USB cable between Kobo and Desktop.
3.The network applet icon on the desktop (/usr/bin/nm-applet from the network-manager-gnome package) will be a spinning progress bar, like it's trying to connect on ethernet. Click this icon and choose "disconnect".
4.On desktop terminal enter "sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.1" and you will be connected.

11.FOR CLOCK AND POWER DISPLAY:
apk add tzdata
apk add xmessage
Modify the following lines in .config/tint2/tint2rc:
#-------------------------------------
# Clock
time1_format = %H:%M
#time2_format = %A %d %B
time1_timezone = EST
time1_font = NotoSans Bold 32
clock_lclick_command = xmessage -geometry 400x100+500+70 -fn -*-fixed-*-*-*-*-32-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-* Charge Level : `cat /sys/class/power_supply/mc13892_bat/capacity`

Now you can click on the clock to get remaining battery percentage.
For timezone, use the appropriate timezone from /usr/share/zoneinfo/.
You may also have to ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST /etc/localtime, where again, replace EST by your actual timezone.

12.MAKE A COMPACT RESIZEABLE BACKUP:
First back up the old alpine.img to your desktop.
Now run the following commands on your Kobo:
cd /mnt/onboard
mount /mnt/onboard/alpine.img /mnt/user/
df -h ; # I got 959.9M total, 446.5M used, 462.2M available on /mnt/user
cd /mnt/user
tar zcvf /mnt/onboard/alpine.tgz . ; # took 8 minutes
cd /mnt/onboard
umount /mnt/user
ls -l alpine.tgz ; # to see your newly created backup file, only 154MB
*** NEXT TWO COMMANDS OVERWRITE YOUR alpine.img file
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/onboard/alpine.img bs=1M count=2048; # OPTIONAL make 2GB image
mke2fs -F /mnt/onboard/alpine.img
mount /mnt/onboard/alpine.img /mnt/user/
cd /mnt/user
tar zxvf /mnt/onboard/alpine.tgz . ; # took 2 minutes
df -h ; # I got 2.0G total, 446.5M used, 1.4G available on /mnt/user
cd /mnt/onboard
umount /mnt/user
Now fire up xorg from the Kobo device.
Then from the still connected desktop:
chroot /mnt/user /bin/sh
apk search -vv -d browser
apk -s add qutebrowser ; # would require 68 packages. let's try it
apk add qutebrowser
df -h ; # I got 2.0G total, 831.1M used, 1.1G available on /mnt/user, so that needed 400M!
qutebrowser --qt-flag no-sandbox ; # Got 2 blank tabs
apk del qutebrowser
df -h ; # I got 2.0G total, 447.0M used, 1.4G available on /mnt/user
apk -s add falkon ; # would require 112 packages. let's try it
apk add falkon
df -h ; # I got 2.0G total, 737.9M used, 1.1G available on /mnt/user, only 300M
export QTWEBENGINE_DISABLE_SANDBOX=1
falkon ; # I got window with address bar, tried to enter something and it crashed
apk del falkon
df -h ; # I got 2.0G total, 448.6M used, 1.4G available on /mnt/user

13.IMPROVE SECURITY BY RUNNING X APPS AS A NON-ROOT USER:
First make sure you have followed the instructions in STEP 6 above for creating a non-root user (e.g. "myuser").

Create a nickel menu item as you did in STEP 7 , except for a non-root user:
menu_item :main :User Xorg :cmd_spawn :quiet:exec /mnt/onboard/opt/uxorg-boot.sh
chain_success :dbg_toast :Started Xorg as non-root user

Copy /mnt/onboard/opt/xorg-boot.sh to /mnt/onboard/opt/uxorg-boot.sh and edit the last line to:
chroot /mnt/user /bin/sh /uxorg-chroot.sh

In the chroot, copy /xorg-chroot.sh to /uxorg-chroot.sh and replace all lines following the "echo 20..." line with:
DISPLAY=:0 sudo -u myuser openbox &
DISPLAY=:0 sudo -u myuser tint2 &
DISPLAY=:0 sudo -u myuser qterminal --geometry 1400x620+20+60 &
DISPLAY=:0 sudo -u myuser svkbd-mobile-intl -g 1400x320+20+700 &
DISPLAY=:0 sudo -u myuser netsurf --scale 150 &

You can
sync
sudo poweroff
right from the user account.

Note:Tried to install firewall "apk add ufw", but running it failed due to missing kernel module "filter" .
ufw status verbose
#Gives error: "can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)"
cat /proc/config.gz | gunzip | grep NETFILTER
#Gives "CONFIG_NETFILTER is not set"

Oh well, you were not planning on using the Kobo to store your bitcoins anyway, I hope.

14. USB KEYBOARD SUPPORT:

*** UPDATE - YOU CAN POSSIBLY AVOID EXTRA CONFIGURATION OF USB KEYBOARD BY USING LIBINPUT DRIVER - SEE COMMENT #48 , (2nd COMMENT AFTER THIS ONE) ***

Enable USB host support as described here.

Create a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as follows:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout"
InputDevice "USB Keyboard"
InputDevice "USB Mouse"
InputDevice "Touchscreen"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "USB Keyboard"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "USB Mouse"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Touchscreen"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
EndSection

*Need to also install evdev driver:
apk install xf86-input-evdev

*The first two "InputDevice" sections depend on your particular device.
(You can check with e.g. "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" and "evtest /dev/input/eventX")
The third section is supposed to be for the touchscreen but doesn't seem to affect much.
You have to plug in your device before you run X.

Current status:

Keyboard works mostly, but some keys like arrows don't seem to be recognized.
Edit:Tried a different keyboard and arrow keys work.
Even the original keyboard can be made to work temporarily with the following cludge until the correct non-cludgy solution is done, by installing xmodmap, and then subbing keys:
xmodmap -e "keysym grave = Left Left"
xmodmap -e "keycode 119 = Up Up"
You would use different keys, but you will probably find, like I did, how buggy this hack is.
*Edit: Don't use xmodmap -use xkbcomp(or something less deprecated) as described in comment after this one!

Mouse works but cursor not visible over the app widget windows.
Edit:Tried a different app - featherpad - and the cursor is visible!.
So depends on the toolkit and widget type used in the app I guess.
There are some ghosting /refresh issues, so I will see how it works out with heavier use.
Actually the ghosting is when the entire screen changes, such as if you scroll when the page is full of text.
It would be a pain to have to refresh by minimizing/maximizing by clicking on the taskbar icon every time you scroll the editor by one line.
A workaround is to scroll several lines at a time,e.g. pagedown, then just move the cursor while the page doesn't change - no ghosting!

*Even featherpad has a "dark mode" for less ghosting!
Options->Preferences->Text->Dark cOlor scheme

* Also you can set a keybinding in the openbox window manager to refresh screen:
Create user openbox directory and copy config files to it:
cd /home/root/
mkdir .config/openbox
cp /etc/xdg/openbox/*.xml .config/openbox/

Edit the rc.xml file to add key binding for rollup toggle:
nano .config/openbox/rc.xml

Modify the first lines of the "<keyboard>" section to:
<keyboard>

<keybind key="C-S-g">
<action name="ToggleShowDesktop"/>
</keybind>

(Poweroff and restart.)

Now entering "Ctl=Shift-G" twice will toggle the desktop, refreshing the editor window!
(*removed Ctl-U binding as it interferes with nano editor.)

Other options are to use nano (but they are using Ctl-U so maybe another key needed), or the white-on-black midnight commander by invoking it as "mc --nocolor" or "mc -b", "mc -bv" (equivalent of mcview file viewer), or "mc -be" (equivalent of mcedit file editor).
Note that mc responds to fullscreen touch, and from the keyboard you can sub "esc-3" for F3 (and "esc-0" for F10 exit), enter directories with "F3", pageup/pagedown with "alt-v/ctl-v" (as opposed to "ctl-y/ctl-v" in nano or "b/space" in mcview or elinks), selecting multiple files with "ctl-t", etc.
You can even highlight with the xdodd hack from section 9 above.
Also less obvious ghosting.

***SUMMARY***
XORG IS WORKING GREAT ON THE KOBO CLARA HD. Thanks to NiMa & Co. for the 'X'-mas gift

Last edited by elinkser; 10-19-2023 at 10:03 AM. Reason: (*removed Ctl-U binding as it interferes with nano editor.)
elinkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:08 AM   #47
elinkser
Groupie
elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

*** UPDATE - YOU CAN POSSIBLY AVOID EXTRA CONFIGURATION OF THIS COMMENT BY USING LIBINPUT DRIVER - SEE COMMENT AFTER THIS ONE ***

Linux keyboard configuration seems to be complicated and ever changing, and I found the xmodmap method no longer effective.

But Xkbcomp allowed me to get my USB keyboard keys working on my Kobo:

To get current keyboard config:

apk add xkbcomp
xkbcomp $DISPLAY old.xkb

Copy the old keyboard layout, just in case we mess up:

cp old.xkb new.xkb

Now, for each malfunctioning key(Column1 below), get the keycodes(Column2) and their misassigned function(Column3):

apk add xev
xev -event keyboard

(Get the codes by clicking each key):

Right : 114, NoSymbol
Up : 111, Print
Left : 113, Alt_R
Down : 116, Super_R

Print : 107, Delete
Alt_R : 108, KP_Enter
Menu : 135, No_Symbol

PgUp : 112, KP_Divide
PgDn : 117, Menu
Home : 110, Pause
End : 115, Super_L
Scroll: 78, Scroll_Lock
Pause : 127, NoSymbol
Insert: 118, NoSymbol
Delete: 119, Nosymbol

Now open the keyboard layout file and find in the "xkb_keycodes" section the aliases(Column1 below) assigned to refer to each keycode(Column3 below) that our keyboard gave us:

mc -bv new.xkb

BRK :Right : 114, NoSymbol
PRSC :Up : 111, Print
RALT :Left : 113, Alt_R
RWIN : Down : 116, Super_R

DELE :Print : 107, Delete
KPEN :Alt_R : 108, KP_Enter
I07 :Menu : 135, No_Symbol

KPDV :PgUp : 112, KP_Divide
MENU :PgDn : 117, Menu
PAUS :Home : 110, Pause
LWIN :End : 115, Super_L
SCLK :Scroll: 78, Scroll_Lock
SUPR :Pause : 127, NoSymbol
FK13 :Insert: 118, NoSymbol
FK14 : Delete: 119, Nosymbol

As you see, some of our malfunctioning keys have already assigned functions (Column4 above), but none are essential, so we will comment them out in the "xkb_symbols" section, where the functions are assigned (but DO NOT edit anything in the"xkb_keycodes" section):

nano new.xkb

Do a Ctrl-W search for each of the misassigned key code aliases above(Column1) to comment them out, IN THE "xkb_symbols" SECTION ONLY:

BRK : Nothing to comment out (Unassigned, NoSymbol)
PRSC: Comment out:
// Key <PRSC> {
// ...
// };
RALT : Comment out:
// Key <RALT> {[ Alt_R, Meta_R ]};
RWIN : Comment out:
// Key <RWIN> {[ Super_R ]};
DELE : Comment out:
// Key <DELE> {[ Delete ]};
KPEN : Comment out:
// Key <KPEN> {[ KP_Enter ]};
I07 : Nothing to comment out (Unassigned, NoSymbol)
KPDV : Comment out:
// Key <KPDV> {
// ...
// ;
MENU : Comment out:
// Key <MENU> {[ Menu ]};
PAUS : Comment out:
// Key <PAUS> {
// ...
// ;
LWIN : Comment out:
// Key <LWIN> {[ Super_L ]};
SCLK : Comment out:
// Key <SCLK> {[ Scroll_Lock ]};
SUPR: Nothing to comment out (Unassigned, NoSymbol)
FK13: Nothing to comment out (Unassigned, NoSymbol)
FK14 : Nothing to comment out (Unassigned, NoSymbol)

Phew! Do a Ctrl-O Save!

Now, we will just replace in the "xkb_keycodes" section the default alias names(Column1) with the aliases our keys gave us(Column3) :

HOME : 97 : PAUS
UP : 98 : PRSC
PGUP : 99 : KPDV
LEFT : 100 : RALT
RGHT : 102 : BRK
END : 103 : LWIN
DOWN : 104 : RWIN
PGDN : 105 : MENU
INS : 106 : FK13
DELE : 107 : FK14

Change "key <HOME> {[ Home ]};" to "key <PAUS> {[ Home ]};"
Change "key <I2C> {[ Up ]};" to "key <PRSC> {[ Up ]};"
Change "key <PGUP> {[ Prior]};" to "key <KPDV> {[ Prior]};"
Change "key <I10> {[ Left ]};" to "key <RALT> {[ Left, Left ]};"
Change "key <I19> {[ Right ]};" to "key <BRK> {[ Right ]};"
Change "key <END> {[ End ]};" to "key <LWIN> {[ End ]};"
Change "key <I2E> {[ Down ]};" to "key <RWIN> {[ Down ]};"
Change "key <PGDN> {[ Next ]};" to "key <MENU> {[ Next ]};"
Change "key <INS> {[ Insert]};" to "key <FK13> {[ Insert ]};"
Change "key <DELE> {[ Delete ]};" to "key <FK14> {[ Delete ]};"

Do a Ctrl-O Save , Ctrl-X exit, and load up the keymap:

xkbcomp new.xkb $DISPLAY

Last edited by elinkser; 02-02-2023 at 08:14 PM.
Advert
Old 02-02-2023, 08:07 PM   #48
elinkser
Groupie

SETTING UP STOCK TOUCHSCREEN DRIVER (libinput):

Browsing through "dmesg | less" for information on the touchscreen in the Kobo Clara HD, we find:

Focaltech V3.3 20201229
1448x1072
cyttsp5_i2c_adapter touch

More info from "cat /proc/bus/input/devices":

Bus=0000 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
Name="cyttsp5_mt"
Handler=event1
Sysfs=/devices/platform/soc/2100000.aips-bus/21a4000.i2c/i2c-1/1-oo24/input/input1

***ALL CHANGES WILL BE DONE USING TELNET FROM THE DESKTOP IN CASE WE LOSE INPUT ON THE KOBO***

We will try the libinput driver instead of evdev.
So we edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to have the touchscreen section look like this:

#Section "InputClass"
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Touchscreen"
# Driver "evdev"
Driver "libinput"
EndSection

We also add the driver and config tools, and reboot X:
apk add xf86-input-libinput
apk add libinput-tools

Here is the output from "less /var/log/Xorg.0.log":

[ 127.751] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Touchscreen'
[ 127.751] (**) Touchscreen: always reports core events
[ 127.751] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
[ 129.993] (EE) libinput bug: udev device never initialized (/dev/input/event1)
[ 129.993] (EE) client bug: Invalid path /dev/input/event1
[ 129.993] (EE) libinput: Touchscreen: Failed to create a device for /dev/input/event1
[ 129.994] (EE) PreInit returned 2 for "Touchscreen"

So the libinput driver was not loaded.
The output of "DISPLAY=:0 libinput debug-events" gives:

Expected device added events on startup but got none. Maybe you don't have the right permissions?

The error message is complaining about udev, which is not installed! So let's install it.
(Note that our Alpine Linux uses a non-systemd version of udev.)

apk add eudev
apk add eudev-hwids
udevd -d
udevadm trigger

Now the output of "DISPLAY=:0 libinput debug-events" gives:

event1 - cyttsp5_mt: libinput bug: missing tablet capabilities: btn-stylus resolution. Ignoring this device.
-event0 DEVICE_ADDED gpio-keys seat0 default group1 cap:k

This error message is apparently because we didn't define these parameters:
EVDEV_ABS_00 (x-resolution/x-width = 1448/121 = 12)
EVDEV_ABS_01 (y-resolution/y-width = 1072/90 = 12)
(Using info we got from dmesg and by measuring the display.)

So we edit the hwdb file ("nano /etc/udev/hwdb.d/60-evdev.hwdb") to add the following entry:

evdev:input:b0000v0000p0000*
ID_INPUT=1
ID_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN=1
EVDEV_ABS_00=::12
EVDEV_ABS_01=::12

To update the binary file on-disk, run:
udevadm hwdb --update

Then, to trigger a reload of all properties on your device, run:
udevadm trigger /sys/class/input/event1

-event1 DEVICE_ADDED cyttsp5_mt seat0 default group2 cap:t ntouches 0 calib

The command "DISPLAY=:0 libinput list-devices" shows our touchscreen:

Device: cyttsp5_mt
Kernel: /dev/input/event1
Group: 2
Seat: seat0, default
Capabilities: touch
Tap-to-click: n/a
Tap-and-drag: n/a
Tap drag lock: n/a
Left-handed: n/a
Nat.scrolling: n/a
Middle emulation: n/a
Calibration: identity matrix
Scroll methods: none
Click methods: none
Disable-w-typing: n/a
Disable-w-trackpointing: n/a
Accel profiles: n/a
Rotation: n/a

The command "udevadm info /sys/class/input/event1" gives:

P: /devices/platform/soc/2100000.aips-bus/21a4000.i2c/i2c-1/1-0024/input/input1/event1
N: input/event1
S: input/by-path/platform-21a4000.i2c-event
E: DEVLINKS=/dev/input/by-path/platform-21a4000.i2c-event
E: DEVNAME=/dev/input/event1
E: DEVPATH=/devices/platform/soc/2100000.aips-bus/21a4000.i2c/i2c-1/1-0024/input/input1/event1
E: EVDEV_ABS_00=::12
E: EVDEV_ABS_01=::12
E: ID_INPUT=1
E: ID_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN=1
E: ID_PATH=platform-21a4000.i2c
E: ID_PATH_TAG=platform-21a4000_i2c
E: LIBINPUT_DEVICE_GROUP=0/0/0:1-0024
E: MAJOR=13
E: MINOR=65
E: SUBSYSTEM=input
E: USEC_INITIALIZED=81411211

***NOW THE REAL TEST IS TO DEACTIVATE OUR OLD PYTHON INPUT DRIVER< AND REBOOT WITH ONLY LIBINPUT***

First comment out the lines in /xorg-chroot.sh:

#evtest --grab /dev/input/event1 > evtest-log &
#sleep 1
#while true; do python3 /home/xorg-kobo-touch.py ; done &
#sleep 1

And insert at the top:

udevd -d
sleep 2
udevadm trigger
sleep 2

***POWEROFF AND REBOOT X, WITH TELNET CONNECTION TO DESKTOP***

Run "ps ax" and you should see that udevd is running, but the python3 xorg-kobo-touch.py and evtest programs are not!
Enter the same command on the Kobo instead of via telnet, and it should still work.

It doesn't appear to give much of an improvement in typing speed but there are some benefits:
e.g. click and drag allows moving windows, highlighting text, sliding scrollbars.

We can also check capabilities with xinput ("apk add xinput" if not done previously):

To get your device name, execute "DISPLAY=:0 xinput list" (or just "xinput list" from the Kobo):

⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Touchscreen id=6 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]

To get the properties for device 6, "DISPLAY=:0 xinput list-props 6":

Device Enabled (115): 1
Coordinate Transformation Matrix (116): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
libinput Calibration Matrix (232): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
libinput Calibration Matrix Default (233): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
libinput Send Events Modes Available (234): 1, 0
libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (235): 0, 0
libinput Send Events Mode Enabled Default (236): 0, 0
Device Node (237): "/dev/input/event1"
Device Product ID (238): 0, 0

Unfortunately, nothing that interesting. So for now, let's back everything up:

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /shared/
cp /xorg-chroot.sh /shared/
cp /etc/udev/hwdb.d/60-evdev.hwdb /shared/
cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /shared/

*NOW WE WILL TRY REMOVING /etc/X11/xorg.conf COMPLETELY TO SEE IF IT IS EVEN NEEDED!

OK, So the libinput driver works fine for the touchscreen with NO xorg.conf!

*NOW WE WILL REBOOT AND TRY THE USB KEYBOARD WITHOUT xorg.conf

OK, not only does the USB keyboard work (and can be plugged in after system is running, provided USB host mode is enabled), but the arrow keys work without extra configuring (as I described in the comment preceding this one). I guess adding the udev database did the trick.

For the curious, the Xorg.0.log gives:

[ 61.561] (II) config/udev: Adding input device cyttsp5_mt (/dev/input/event1)
[ 61.561] (**) cyttsp5_mt: Applying InputClass "evdev touchscreen catchall"
[ 61.561] (**) cyttsp5_mt: Applying InputClass "libinput touchscreen catchall"
[ 61.561] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'cyttsp5_mt'
[ 61.561] (**) cyttsp5_mt: always reports core events
[ 61.561] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
[ 61.565] (II) event1 - cyttsp5_mt: is tagged by udev as: Touchscreen Tablet
[ 61.567] (II) event1 - cyttsp5_mt: device is a touch device
[ 61.568] (II) event1 - cyttsp5_mt: device removed
[ 61.620] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/soc/2100000.aips-bus/21a4000.i2c/i2c-1/1-0024/input/input1/event1"
[ 61.620] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "cyttsp5_mt" (type: TOUCHSCREEN, id 9)
[ 61.622] (**) Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
[ 61.622] (**) cyttsp5_mt: (accel) selected scheme none/0
[ 61.623] (**) cyttsp5_mt: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[ 61.623] (**) cyttsp5_mt: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[ 61.639] (II) event1 - cyttsp5_mt: is tagged by udev as: Touchscreen Tablet
[ 61.642] (II) event1 - cyttsp5_mt: device is a touch device
[ 61.766] (**) HP HP Wireless Mini Keyboard: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[ 61.766] (**) HP HP Wireless Mini Keyboard: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[ 61.766] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'HP HP Wireless Mini Keyboard'
[ 61.766] (**) HP HP Wireless Mini Keyboard: always reports core events
[ 61.766] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
[ 61.766] (II) libinput: HP HP Wireless Mini Keyboard: is a virtual subdevice
[ 61.767] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/soc/2100000.aips-bus/2184000.usb/ci_hdrc.0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0/0003:03F0:A107.0001/input/input2/event2"

Last edited by elinkser; 02-09-2023 at 08:49 AM. Reason: hot pluggable USB
Old 02-03-2023, 08:37 PM   #49
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by elinkser View Post
SETTING UP STOCK TOUCHSCREEN DRIVER (libinput):

Browsing through "dmesg | less" for information on the touchscreen in the Kobo Clara HD, we find:

Focaltech V3.3 20201229
1448x1072
cyttsp5_i2c_adapter touch

More info from "cat /proc/bus/input/devices":

Bus=0000 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
Name="cyttsp5_mt"
Handler=event1
Sysfs=/devices/platform/soc/2100000.aips-bus/21a4000.i2c/i2c-1/1-oo24/input/input1

***ALL CHANGES WILL BE DONE USING TELNET FROM THE DESKTOP IN CASE WE LOSE INPUT ON THE KOBO***

We will try the libinput driver instead of evdev.
So we edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to have the touchscreen section look like this:

#Section "InputClass"
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Touchscreen"
# Driver "evdev"
Driver "libinput"
EndSection

We also add the driver and config tools, and reboot X:
apk add xf86-input-libinput
apk add libinput-tools

Here is the output from "less /var/log/Xorg.0.log":

[ 127.751] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Touchscreen'
[ 127.751] (**) Touchscreen: always reports core events
[ 127.751] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
[ 129.993] (EE) libinput bug: udev device never initialized (/dev/input/event1)
[ 129.993] (EE) client bug: Invalid path /dev/input/event1
[ 129.993] (EE) libinput: Touchscreen: Failed to create a device for /dev/input/event1
[ 129.994] (EE) PreInit returned 2 for "Touchscreen"

So the libinput driver was not loaded.

Expected device added events on startup but got none. Maybe you don't have the right permissions?

The error message is complaining about udev, which is not installed! So let's install it.
(Note that our Alpine Linux uses a non-systemd version of udev.)

apk add eudev
apk add eudev-hwids
udevd -d
udevadm trigger

Now the output of "DISPLAY=:0 libinput debug-events" gives:

event1 - cyttsp5_mt: libinput bug: missing tablet capabilities: btn-stylus resolution. Ignoring this device.

This error message is apparently because we didn't define these parameters:
EVDEV_ABS_00 (x-resolution/x-width = 1448/121 = 12)
EVDEV_ABS_01 (y-resolution/y-width = 1072/90 = 12)
(Using info we got from dmesg and by measuring the display.)

So we edit the hwdb file ("nano /etc/udev/hwdb.d/60-evdev.hwdb") to add the following entry:

evdev:input:b0000v0000p0000*
ID_INPUT=1
ID_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN=1
EVDEV_ABS_00=::12
EVDEV_ABS_01=::12

To update the binary file on-disk, run:
udevadm hwdb --update

Then, to trigger a reload of all properties on your device, run:
udevadm trigger /sys/class/input/event1

The command "DISPLAY=:0 libinput list-devices" shows our touchscreen:

Device: cyttsp5_mt
Kernel: /dev/input/event1
Group: 2
Seat: seat0, default
Capabilities: touch
Tap-to-click: n/a
Tap-and-drag: n/a
Tap drag lock: n/a
Left-handed: n/a
Nat.scrolling: n/a
Middle emulation: n/a
Calibration: identity matrix
Scroll methods: none
Click methods: none
Disable-w-typing: n/a
Disable-w-trackpointing: n/a
Accel profiles: n/a
Rotation: n/a

The command "udevadm info /sys/class/input/event1" gives:

P: /devices/platform/soc/2100000.aips-bus/21a4000.i2c/i2c-1/1-0024/input/input1/event1
N: input/event1
S: input/by-path/platform-21a4000.i2c-event
E: DEVLINKS=/dev/input/by-path/platform-21a4000.i2c-event
E: DEVNAME=/dev/input/event1
E: DEVPATH=/devices/platform/soc/2100000.aips-bus/21a4000.i2c/i2c-1/1-0024/input/input1/event1
E: EVDEV_ABS_00=::12
E: EVDEV_ABS_01=::12
E: ID_INPUT=1
E: ID_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN=1
E: ID_PATH=platform-21a4000.i2c
E: ID_PATH_TAG=platform-21a4000_i2c
E: LIBINPUT_DEVICE_GROUP=0/0/0:1-0024
E: MAJOR=13
E: MINOR=65
E: SUBSYSTEM=input
E: USEC_INITIALIZED=81411211

***NOW THE REAL TEST IS TO DEACTIVATE OUR OLD PYTHON INPUT DRIVER< AND REBOOT WITH ONLY LIBINPUT***

First comment out the lines in /xorg-chroot.sh:

#sleep 1
#sleep 1

And insert at the top:

udevd -d
sleep 2
udevadm trigger
sleep 2

***POWEROFF AND REBOOT X, WITH TELNET CONNECTION TO DESKTOP***

Run "ps ax" and you should see that udevd is running, but the python3 xorg-kobo-touch.py and evtest programs are not!
Enter the same command on the Kobo instead of via telnet, and it should still work.

It doesn't appear to give much of an improvement in typing speed but there are some benefits:
e.g. click and drag allows moving windows, highlighting text, sliding scrollbars.

We can also check capabilities with xinput ("apk add xinput" if not done previously):

To get your device name, execute "DISPLAY=:0 xinput list" (or just "xinput list" from the Kobo):

⎜ ↳ Touchscreen id=6 [slave pointer (2)]

To get the properties for device 6, "DISPLAY=:0 xinput list-props 6":

Coordinate Transformation Matrix (116): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
libinput Calibration Matrix (232): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
libinput Calibration Matrix Default (233): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
libinput Send Events Modes Available (234): 1, 0
libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (235): 0, 0
libinput Send Events Mode Enabled Default (236): 0, 0
Device Node (237): "/dev/input/event1"
Device Product ID (238): 0, 0

Unfortunately, nothing that interesting. So for now, let's back everything up:

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /shared/
cp /xorg-chroot.sh /shared/
cp /etc/udev/hwdb.d/60-evdev.hwdb /shared/
cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /shared/

*NOW WE WILL TRY REMOVING /etc/X11/xorg.conf COMPLETELY TO SEE IF IT IS EVEN NEEDED!

OK, So the libinput driver works fine for the touchscreen with NO xorg.conf!

*NOW WE WILL REBOOT AND TRY THE USB KEYBOARD WITHOUT xorg.conf

OK, not only does the USB keyboard work, but the arrow keys work without extra configuring (as I described in the comment preceding this one). I guess adding the udev database did the trick.

For the curious, the Xorg.0.log gives:

[ 61.561] (II) config/udev: Adding input device cyttsp5_mt (/dev/input/event1)
[ 61.561] (**) cyttsp5_mt: Applying InputClass "evdev touchscreen catchall"
[ 61.561] (**) cyttsp5_mt: Applying InputClass "libinput touchscreen catchall"
[ 61.561] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'cyttsp5_mt'
[ 61.561] (**) cyttsp5_mt: always reports core events
[ 61.561] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
[ 61.565] (II) event1 - cyttsp5_mt: is tagged by udev as: Touchscreen Tablet
[ 61.567] (II) event1 - cyttsp5_mt: device is a touch device
[ 61.568] (II) event1 - cyttsp5_mt: device removed
[ 61.620] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/soc/2100000.aips-bus/21a4000.i2c/i2c-1/1-0024/input/input1/event1"
[ 61.620] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "cyttsp5_mt" (type: TOUCHSCREEN, id 9)
[ 61.622] (**) Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
[ 61.622] (**) cyttsp5_mt: (accel) selected scheme none/0
[ 61.623] (**) cyttsp5_mt: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[ 61.623] (**) cyttsp5_mt: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[ 61.639] (II) event1 - cyttsp5_mt: is tagged by udev as: Touchscreen Tablet
[ 61.642] (II) event1 - cyttsp5_mt: device is a touch device
[ 61.766] (**) HP HP Wireless Mini Keyboard: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[ 61.766] (**) HP HP Wireless Mini Keyboard: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[ 61.766] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'HP HP Wireless Mini Keyboard'
[ 61.766] (**) HP HP Wireless Mini Keyboard: always reports core events
[ 61.766] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
[ 61.766] (II) libinput: HP HP Wireless Mini Keyboard: is a virtual subdevice
[ 61.767] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/soc/2100000.aips-bus/2184000.usb/ci_hdrc.0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0/0003:03F0:A107.0001/input/input2/event2"
Wow thanks, this is quite impressive (all your work is). I hope to be able to use some of it for InkBox OS.
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:17 PM   #50
elinkser
Groupie

Sure! Thanks for putting together the framework, (building on other great contributions of course like always.)

Actually I originally got the Clara HD because I read you could run PostmarketOS like I have on my PinePhone (and it was on sale ), but ironically I was never able to get that to work, so...
Instead I ended up obsessing on this thing!
Advert
Old 02-03-2023, 09:18 PM   #51
elinkser
Groupie

SIMULATE RIGHT CLICK WITH 2-FINGER LEFT/RIGHT SWIPE
SIMULATE VERTICAL SCROLLING WITH 2-FINGER DOWN/UP SWIPE
(works with libinput driver and no xorg.conf):

libinput-touchscreen

cd /home/root/
wget https://github.com/xiamaz/libinput-t...ads/master.zip
unzip master.zip
cd libinput-touchscreen-master/
apk add build-base
apk add libinput-dev
apk add eudev-dev
make
cd ..
mkdir /.config/libinput-touchscreen/
cp ./libinput-touchscreen-master/config /.config/libinput-touchscreen/
cp ./libinput-touchscreen-master/dims.txt /.config/libinput-touchscreen/

nano /.config/libinput-touchscreen/dims.txt
* Edit from:
0.000000 273.000000 # X dimensions
0.000000 157.500000 # Y dimensions
To:
0.000000 1448.000000 # X dimensions
0.000000 1072.500000 # Y dimensions

nano /.config/libinput-touchscreen/config
* Comment out everything and add only:
MOVEMENT W 2
xdotool click 3
MOVEMENT E 2
xdotool click 3
MOVEMENT N 2
xdotool key Page_Down
MOVEMENT S 2
xdotool key Page_Up

# 3-finger tap Toggle desktop twice to refresh screen
#TAP X 3
# xdotool key Ctrl+Shift+g sleep 1 key Ctrl+Shift+g

# 2-finger tap to rightclick 60 pixels above cursor
#TAP X 2
# xdotool mousemove_relative -- 0 -60 click 3

Edit the top of the <keyboard> section of .config/openbox/rc.xml to:

<keyboard>
<keybind key="C-u">
<action name="ToggleShade"/>
</keybind>
<keybind key="C-S-g">
<action name="ToggleShowDesktop"/>
</keybind>

DISPLAY=:0 ./libinput-touchscreen-master/libinput-touchscreen
* Swipe West/East (Left/Right) with 2 fingers on Kobo screen for right click
(note: must click to clear after each right click)
Swipe South/North (Down/Up) with 2 fingers for PgUp and PgDn.

#And 3-finger tap for ToggleShowDesktop + 2-finger tap for click 60 pixels under desired right click. (Optional - 3 finger tap not working well, and right click well handled by swipes)

***NOTES***

1) The 2-finger Left/Right swipes work great for right clicks. The key is to END the swipe on a link to avoid a click on the link.

2) The 2-finger South/North swipes work great for simulating 2-finger scrolling.

3) The 3-finger actions don't work reliably.

4) The libinput driver has allowed highlighting of text with finger motion - unfortunately, the libinput-touchscreen driver messes up this highlighting functionality.
So if you need the highlighting, don't use libinput-touchscreen.
If you want the libinput-touchscreen's 2-finger swipes for easy rightclicks and page scrolls, then enable it!

***FINAL CLEANUP***

1) Add the following to your /uxorg-chroot.sh and /xorg-chroot.sh scripts if you want libinput-touchscreen active on startup:

cd /home/myuser # use /home/root or your user home directory
DISPLAY=:0 /usr/local/bin/libinput-touchscreen &

(Add this before the "echo 20 ..." line, e.g.: )

udevd -d
sleep 2
udevadm trigger
sleep 2
X -dpi 175 &
cd /home/root/fbink-xdamage
sleep 3
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/home/root/fbink-xdamage/FBInk/Release/; env DISPLAY=:0 ./fbink_xdamage &
sleep 3
cd /home
cd /home/myuser # use /home/root or your user home directory
DISPLAY=:0 /usr/local/bin/libinput-touchscreen &
#sleep 1
#sleep 1
echo 20 > /sys/class/backlight/mxc_msp430.0/brightness
DISPLAY=:0 sudo -u myuser openbox &

2) The .config/libinput-touchscreen/ folder has to be from wherever you cd'd to in /uxorg-chroot.sh

cp /home/root/libinput-touchscreen-master/libinput-touchscreen /usr/local/bin/
cp -r /home/root/.config/libinput-touchscreen /home/myuser

3)Run "visudo" command to edit /etc/sudoers file so user can enable/disable libinput-touchscreen (with "sudo killall libinput-touchscreen" or "sudo /usr/local/bin/libinput-touchscreen &"):

##
## User privilege specification
##
root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

myuser ALL=NOPASSWD: /bin/login
myuser ALL=NOPASSWD: /sbin/poweroff
myuser ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/killall
myuser ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/local/bin/libinput-touchscreen

4) Increase the menu size in netsurf by creating a settings.ini file in the .config/gtk-3.0 directory and adding the following lines:

[Settings]
gtk-font-name=Noto Sans Regular 16

* Now that the menu font is readable, we can lighten up the toolbar in .config/netsurf/Choices:

toolbar_items:back/history/forward/reloadstop/url_bar/copy/paste/zoomplus/zoomminus

5) Edit the /usr/share/applications/featherpad.desktop file so the exec command is:

Exec=env QT_FONT_DPI=175 featherpad %U
# The app will open with a large window, but you can rightclick on the menubar and choose resize.
# Your new libinput driver lets you drag to resize, and the app will remember the size.

* Let's get some nice icons for our taskbar applications:

cd /home/root
wget https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pu...-4.12.3-r0.apk
tar zxvf xfwm4-4.12.3-r0.apk
cp ./usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/actions/* /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/
cp ./usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/* /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/
nano /usr/share/applications/xdorc.desktop
Icon=wmtweaks
nano /usr/share/applications/xdodd.desktop
Icon=fce-wm-unmaximize

6) Network with Android device without an internet connection:

***SECURITY REMINDER***
Telnet sessions are in cleartext INCLUDING LOGIN SESSIONS, so only use on a private network, if at all!
If you always have DEVMODE set to ON for whatever reasons , that means Telnet is on by default, unless you toggle it off , e.g. using NickelMenu.

You can install KOReader to get the more secure SSH option, and NiLuJe's kobostuff provides a package that includes an SSH binary.

You may want to set ForceWifiOn=true (if you haven't done so already) in your config file [DeveloperSettings] (in KOReader, navigate to .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf, Open With Text editor) or else the dropouts may cause frustration.

I have found that none of my Android devices need to be internet-connected to set up as a hotspot so the Kobo can network with my tablet or keyboard-equipped Blackberry Priv with no internet!
*Note:The open source droidVNC-NG vnc server requires minimum Android 7 so the Priv is a no-go, being locked at 6, although it can run ConnectBot, and closed source vnc server Alpha Vnc Lite.

And if you are using ConnectBot on Android for telnetting, I think the 1.9.6-oss version and earlier doesn't have the scrolling issue that the later version does.

You can install x11vnc on your xorg chroot, set password with "x11vnc -storepasswd", and run it with "x11vnc -zeroconf", to make sure multivnc android vnc client can discover it.

You can install openssh server:
apk add openssh-server
ssh-keygen -A
/usr/sbin/sshd
And then install XMouse app from F-Droid on your phone for a fun alternate keyboard/mouse input.

(Just for lols here is a sample, completely unnecessary keyboard config I made for XMouse) :
Spoiler:

1<xmousesep>xdotool key 1<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
2<xmousesep>xdotool key 2<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
3<xmousesep>xdotool key 3<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
4<xmousesep>xdotool key 4<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
5<xmousesep>xdotool key 5<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
6<xmousesep>xdotool key 6<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
7<xmousesep>xdotool key 7<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
8<xmousesep>xdotool key 8<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
9<xmousesep>xdotool key 9<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
0<xmousesep>xdotool key 0<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
"<xmousesep>xdotool key quotedbl<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
><xmousesep>xdotool key greater<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
|<xmousesep>xdotool key bar<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
/<xmousesep>xdotool key slash<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
$<xmousesep>xdotool key dollar<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
#<xmousesep>xdotool key numbersign<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
&<xmousesep>xdotool key ampersand<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
*<xmousesep>xdotool key asterisk<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
(<xmousesep>xdotool key parenleft<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
)<xmousesep>xdotool key parenright<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
q<xmousesep>xdotool key q<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
w<xmousesep>xdotool key w<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
e<xmousesep>xdotool key e<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
r<xmousesep>xdotool key r<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
t<xmousesep>xdotool key t<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
y<xmousesep>xdotool key y<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
u<xmousesep>xdotool key u<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
i<xmousesep>xdotool key i<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
o<xmousesep>xdotool key o<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
p<xmousesep>xdotool key p<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
Esc<xmousesep>xdotool key Escape<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#80d4ff
a<xmousesep>xdotool key a<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
s<xmousesep>xdotool key s<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
d<xmousesep>xdotool key d<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
f<xmousesep>xdotool key f<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
g<xmousesep>xdotool key g<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
h<xmousesep>xdotool key h<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
j<xmousesep>xdotool key j<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
k<xmousesep>xdotool key k<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
l<xmousesep>xdotool key l<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
Tab<xmousesep>xdotool key Tab<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#80d4ff
z<xmousesep>xdotool key z<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
x<xmousesep>xdotool key x<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
c<xmousesep>xdotool key c<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
v<xmousesep>xdotool key v<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
b<xmousesep>xdotool key b<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
n<xmousesep>xdotool key n<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
m<xmousesep>xdotool key m<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFFF
'<xmousesep>xdotool key apostrophe<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
<=<xmousesep>xdotool key BackSpace<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#80d4ff
Cap<xmousesep>xdotool key Caps_Lock<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#80d4ff
-<xmousesep>xdotool key minus<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
:<xmousesep>xdotool key colon<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
;<xmousesep>xdotool key semicolon<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
!<xmousesep>xdotool key exclam<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
?<xmousesep>xdotool key question<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
,<xmousesep>xdotool key comma<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
.<xmousesep>xdotool key period<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#e6f7ff
<-|<xmousesep>xdotool key Return<xmousesep>2<xmousesep>#80d4ff
C-v<xmousesep>xdotool keydown ctrl<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#80d4ff
C-^<xmousesep>xdotool keyup ctrl<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#80d4ff
<<<xmousesep>xdotool key Prior<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFB3
>><xmousesep>xdotool key Next<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFB3
Space<xmousesep>xdotool key space<xmousesep>2<xmousesep>#80d4ff
<<xmousesep>xdotool key Left<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFB3
^<xmousesep>xdotool key Up<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFB3
v<xmousesep>xdotool key Down<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFB3
><xmousesep>xdotool key Right<xmousesep>1<xmousesep>#FFFFB3

7) Add featherpad.desktop to your .config/tint2/tint2rc file:

# Launcher
launcher_item_app = featherpad.desktop

* Let's also add a nice drawing app to go with our text editor:
apk add drawing
Maximize to draw, unmaximize to use the DEL key on the keyboard to delete the selection!

* Also add lxterminal, a terminal app that plays better with tint2 and mc
apk add lxterminal
(puts an identifiable icon on the taskbar so you can more easily distinguish and select the keyboard for sending keystrokes to a maximized graphical app.. Also mc won't have skewed columns in lxterminal, unlike in qterminal.)
I used font Noto Sans Bold 16, foreground to white, and set default window 80x19, in the lxterminal preferences menu.

* Also add w3m and w3m-image for terminal browser that has inline images in an xterm.
I put some keycodes help in the spoiler at yhe end of:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...91&postcount=3

To force certain commands to monocolor output, I also added to .bashrc (unfortunately you must run the command ". .bashrc" each session because our kludged non-login shell does not read it on startup) :
alias ls='ls --color=never'
alias grep='grep --color=never'

Also add to .config/tint2/tint2rc
launcher_item_app = lxterminal.desktop
launcher_item_app = com.github.maoschanz.drawing.desktop

8) Package everything together by copying the commands in /mnt/onboard/opt (or /opt), your nickel menu (/mnt/onboard/.adds/nm/config.txt), /uxorg-chroot.sh and /xorg-chroot.sh, your .config folder and libinput-touchscreen build, your fbink-xdamage build and xorg-kobo-touch.py, your /etc/sudoers and /etc/udev/hwdb.d/60-evdev.hwdb files, your /usr/share/applications folder, your chalpine.sh and chalpined.sh files in /mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/scripts, and and a fresh alpine.tgz archive of your chroot (as described in comment #46 section 12 to a folder, say alpinepkg/, and zip it together (a few hundred MB):

zip alpinepkg.zip alpinepkg/

9) Remove your SD card from your Clara HD and back it up on your linux desktop, and zip it together (about 3GB):

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=kobo_alpine_sd.img bs=4M status=progress
zip kobo_alpine_sd.zip kobo_alpine_sd.img

YOU NOW HAVE A NICE ALPINE LINUX "DESKTOP" ON YOUR KOBO CLARA HD, WITH READABLE FONTS, RIGHT-CLICK AND GESTURES, WINDOW MANAGER AND MULTITASKING, GRAPHICAL WEB BROWSER AND EDITOR, VNC CLIENT, AND USB HOSTING ALLOWING HOT-PLUGGABLE USB KEYBOARD (REQUIRES POWERED CONNECTOR), ACCESSIBLE FROM YOUR NICKEL MENU ALONGSIDE YOUR FAVORITE KOBO APPS. ON TO THE NEXT ADVENTURE!

Last edited by elinkser; 05-03-2023 at 07:48 PM. Reason: final(?) update
Old 02-05-2023, 10:53 PM   #52
elinkser
Groupie

FRESH OFF THE SUCCESS OF THE RIGHT-CLICK SOLUTION OF THE PRECEDING COMMENT #51,
HERE FOR YOUR ENJOYMENT, THE "BLOOPER REEL" OF STUFF THAT DIDN'T FARE AS WELL

USE XBINDKEYS TO GENERATE RIGHT CLICK WITH SHIFT-LEFT CLICK

apk add xvkbd
apk add xbindkeys

Create /.xbindkeysrc and enter the lines:

# Map Shift-LeftClick to RightClick
"xvkbd -text '\m2'"
m:0x1 + b:1

(Doesn't work.)

ONE-FINGER CLICK INTERCEPTION BY LIBINPUT-TOUCHSCREEN

cd /home/root/

Edit /.config/libinput-touchscreen/config to:

TAP X 1
xdotool click 1
TAP X 2
xdotool click 3

MOVEMENT W 2
xdotool click 3
MOVEMENT E 2
xdotool click 3
MOVEMENT N 2
xdotool key Page_Down
MOVEMENT S 2
xdotool key Page_Up

Disable tapping FROM TELNET ON DESKTOP (YOU WILL LOSE INPUT ON KOBO):

Run "DISPLAY=:0 xinput list"
⎜ ↳ cyttsp5_mt id=7 [slave pointer (2)]
↳ gpio-keys id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]

Run "DISPLAY=:0 xinput list-props 7"
Device 'cyttsp5_mt':

Run "DISPLAY=:0 xinput set-prop 7 115 0"
The Kobo touchscreen no longer responds.

Run "DISPLAY=:0 xinput list-props 7"
Device 'cyttsp5_mt':
Device Enabled (115): 0

Run " DISPLAY=:0 libinput debug-events" and tap the screen
event1 TOUCH_DOWN +0.000s 0 (0) 75.28/36.57 (1090.00/392.00mm)
event1 TOUCH_FRAME +0.000s
event1 TOUCH_UP +0.060s 0 (0)
event1 TOUCH_FRAME +0.060s

But remember the line in /.config/libinput-touchscreen/config we added:
TAP X 1
xdotool click 1

Run "DISPLAY=:0 ./libinput-touchscreen-master/libinput-touchscreen" and tap the screen:
Device found: /dev/input/event1
Loading screen calibration from //.config/libinput-touchscreen/dims.txt
G(1) T1 D0
Trigger xdotool click 1

So the tap is registered, but is very unreliable, so run "DISPLAY=:0 xinput set-prop 7 115 1"
And our Kobo screen is responsive again.

Comment out the left-click entries in "/.config/libinput-touchscreen/config":
#TAP X 1
# xdotool click 1
#TAP X 2
# xdotool click 3

ALTERNATIVE RIGHT-CLICK DRIVER "TOUCHEGG" FOR LIBINPUT

touchegg

cd /home/root/
apk add touchegg
mkdir .config/touchegg

nano .config/touchegg/touchegg.conf
*Enter the following:

<gesture type="SWIPE" fingers="2" direction="DOWN">
<action type="RUN_COMMAND">
<repeat>false</repeat>
<command>xdotool key Page_Up</command>
<on>end</on>
</action>
</gesture>

<gesture type="SWIPE" fingers="2" direction="UP">
<repeat>false</repeat>
<command>xdotool key Page_Down</command>
<on>end</on>
</action>
</gesture>

<gesture type="SWIPE" fingers="2" direction="LEFT">
<repeat>true</repeat>
<command>xdotool click 6</command>
<decreaseCommand>xdotool click 5</decreaseCommand>
</action>
</gesture>

<gesture type="SWIPE" fingers="2" direction="RIGHT">
<repeat>true</repeat>
<command>xdotool click 7</command>
<decreaseCommand>xdotool click 5</decreaseCommand>
</action>
</gesture>

<gesture type="PINCH" fingers="4" direction="IN">
<repeat>false</repeat>
<command>xdotool click 3</command>
<on>end</on>
</action>
</gesture>

<gesture type="TAP" fingers="2">
<repeat>false</repeat>
<command>xdotool click 3</command>
<on>end</on>
</action>
</gesture>

*Now run the daemon and client:

DISPLAY=:0 touchegg --daemon 3 15 &
<Return>
DISPLAY=:0 touchegg

(The only gesture that seems to work is the "TAP".)

*Kill the client and daemon:

<Ctrl-c>
killall touchegg

THE NETSURF BROWSER IS WORKING GREAT BUT CANNOT HANDLE SOME WEBSITES, AND THERE WAS THIS ARMHF BINARY OF A LIGHTWEIGHT, JAVASCRIPT-CAPABLE WEB BROWSER "FLOATING" AROUND, SO...

wget https://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pu...t-2.3.3-r0.apk

tar zxvf luakit-2.3.3-r0.apk

DISPLAY=:0 ./usr/bin/luakit
Error loading shared library libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37: No such file or directory (needed by ./usr/ bin/luakit)
Error loading shared library libsoup-2.4.so.1: No such file or directory (needed by ./usr/bin/luakit)
Error loading shared library libluajit-5.1.so.2: No such file or directory (needed by ./usr/bin/luakit)
Error loading shared library libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0.so.18: No such file or directory (needed by ./usr/bin/luakit)

df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop0 2064208 879060 1080292 45% /

apk add luajit
(1/1) Installing luajit (2.1_p20210510-r3)

apk add libsoup
(1/1) Installing libsoup (2.74.3-r0)

apk add webkit2gtk
(1/31) Installing libcap2 (2.66-r0)
(2/31) Installing bubblewrap (0.7.0-r0)
(3/31) Installing xdg-dbus-proxy (0.1.4-r0)
(4/31) Installing libgpg-error (1.46-r1)
(5/31) Installing libgcrypt (1.10.1-r0)
(6/31) Installing gcr-base (3.41.1-r1)
(7/31) Installing gnome-keyring (42.1-r0)
(8/31) Installing libwpe (1.14.0-r0)
(9/31) Installing libwpebackend-fdo (1.14.0-r0)
(10/31) Installing aspell-libs (0.60.8-r2)
(11/31) Installing nuspell-libs (5.1.2-r1)
(12/31) Installing enchant2 (2.3.3-r1)
(13/31) Installing libxv (1.0.11-r3)
(14/31) Installing alsa-lib (1.2.8-r0)
(15/31) Installing cdparanoia-libs (10.2-r11)
(16/31) Installing graphene (1.10.8-r1)
(17/31) Installing gstreamer (1.20.5-r0)
(18/31) Installing opus (1.3.1-r1)
(19/31) Installing orc (0.4.33-r0)
(20/31) Installing libtheora (1.1.1-r16)
(21/31) Installing gst-plugins-base (1.20.5-r0)
(22/31) Installing harfbuzz-icu (5.3.1-r1)
(23/31) Installing hyphen (2.8.8-r2)
(24/31) Installing libgudev (237-r1)
(25/31) Installing libmanette (0.2.6-r2)
(26/31) Installing libseccomp (2.5.4-r0)
(27/31) Installing libsecret (0.20.5-r0)
(28/31) Installing libwoff2common (1.0.2-r2)
(29/31) Installing libwoff2enc (1.0.2-r2)
(30/31) Installing libxslt (1.1.37-r0)
(31/31) Installing webkit2gtk (2.38.4-r0)

df
/dev/loop0 2064208 962052 997300 49% /

[ 0.900950] W [core/luah]: couldn't load any rc file
[ 0.901943] F [core/luakit]: couldn't find rc file

cp usr/bin/luakit /usr/bin/
cp -r usr/lib/luakit/ /usr/lib/
cp -r usr/share/luakit/ /usr/share/
cp usr/share/applications/luakit.desktop /usr/share/applications/
cp usr/share/pixmaps/luakit.* /usr/share/pixmaps/
cp -r etc/xdg/luakit/ /etc/xdg/

[ 0.328927] I [core/luah]: Loading rc: /etc/xdg/luakit/rc.lua
[ 0.345207] E [core/common/lualib]: Lua error: module 'lfs' not found:
no field package.preload['lfs']
no file './lfs.lua'
no file '/usr/share/luajit-2.1.0-beta3/lfs.lua'
no file '/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/lfs.lua'
no file '/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/lfs/init.lua'
no file '/usr/share/lua/5.1/lfs.lua'
no file '/usr/share/lua/5.1/lfs/init.lua'
no file '/usr/share/lua/common/lfs.lua'
no file '/usr/share/lua/common/lfs/init.lua'
no file '/usr/share/luakit/lib/lfs.lua'
no file '/usr/share/luakit/lib/lfs/init.lua'
no file '/.config/luakit/lfs.lua'
no file '/.config/luakit/lfs/init.lua'
no file '/etc/xdg/luakit/lfs.lua'
no file '/etc/xdg/luakit/lfs/init.lua'
no file './lfs.so'
no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/lfs.so'
no file '/usr/lib/lua/5.1/lfs.so'
no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/loadall.so'
Traceback:
(1) [C] in function require
(2) /etc/xdg/luakit/rc.lua:5 in main chunk
[ 0.346607] W [core/luah]: loading rc '/etc/xdg/luakit/rc.lua' failed, falling back...
[ 0.233526] F [core/luakit]: couldn't find rc file

apk add lua5.1
(1/2) Installing lua5.1-libs (5.1.5-r11)
(2/2) Installing lua5.1 (5.1.5-r11)

df
/dev/loop0 2064208 964072 995280 49% /

[ 0.638502] I [core/luah]: Loading rc: /etc/xdg/luakit/rc.lua
[ 0.653692] E [core/common/lualib]: Lua error: module 'lfs' not found:
no field package.preload['lfs']
no file './lfs.lua'
no file '/usr/share/luajit-2.1.0-beta3/lfs.lua'
no file '/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/lfs.lua'
no file '/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/lfs/init.lua'
no file '/usr/share/lua/5.1/lfs.lua'
no file '/usr/share/lua/5.1/lfs/init.lua'
no file '/usr/share/lua/common/lfs.lua'
no file '/usr/share/lua/common/lfs/init.lua'
no file '/usr/share/luakit/lib/lfs.lua'
no file '/usr/share/luakit/lib/lfs/init.lua'
no file '/.config/luakit/lfs.lua'
no file '/.config/luakit/lfs/init.lua'
no file '/etc/xdg/luakit/lfs.lua'
no file '/etc/xdg/luakit/lfs/init.lua'
no file './lfs.so'
no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/lfs.so'
no file '/usr/lib/lua/5.1/lfs.so'
no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/loadall.so'
Traceback:
(1) [C] in function require
(2) /etc/xdg/luakit/rc.lua:5 in main chunk
[ 0.655031] W [core/luah]: loading rc '/etc/xdg/luakit/rc.lua' failed, falling back...
[ 0.239572] F [core/luakit]: couldn't find rc file

apk add ldoc
(1/7) Installing lua5.4-libs (5.4.4-r6)
(2/7) Installing lua5.4 (5.4.4-r6)
(3/7) Installing lua-filesystem (1.8.0-r2)
(4/7) Installing lua5.4-filesystem (1.8.0-r2)
(5/7) Installing lua-penlight (1.13.1-r0)
(6/7) Installing ldoc (1.4.6-r4)
(7/7) Installing lua5.1-filesystem (1.8.0-r2)

df
/dev/loop0 2064208 965568 993784 49% /

nano /etc/xdg/luakit/theme.lua
-- Default settings
theme.font = "32px monospace"
theme.fg = "#fff"
theme.bg = "#000"
---
-- Follow mode hints
theme.hint_font = "32px monospace, courier, sans-serif"

DISPLAY=:0 ./usr/bin/luakit https://www.startpage.com

RESIZE THE LUA WINDOW USING RIGHTCLICK ON TITLE BAR, SELECT RESIZE, THEN DRAG

Type : open http://wpt.live/acid/acid3/test.html
Score:16/100

Type : open https://www.javatpoint.com/html-server-sent-event
...Still waiting for the page to open...

---

BASIC INSTRUCTIONS FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO TRY THEIR LUCK:

*** SINCE YOU ARE MESSING AROUND WITH PACKAGES FROM ANOTHER VERSION -AND EVEN ARCHITECTURE, THOUGH ARMHF CAN RUN ON ARMV7 - PLEASE BACKUP, TAKE NOTES, ETC... ***

Spoiler:

Opening the help page

To open the internal help page, press <F1>. From there, you can open the introspector to view current keybindings or open the included API documentation.
Switching to command mode

Many common operations in luakit, such as typing and opening a URL, involve the use of commands. This is done by switching to command mode, typing the command, and pressing <Enter>.

To switch to command mode, press : (i.e. <Shift-;>), and the command bar will appear at the bottom of the window. In the remainder of this document, commands will be written prefixed by a :; so : open means to first press :, and then type open *WITHOUT THE SPACE BETWEEN : and open (I put the space to avoid emoji conversion)

Go to a URL in the current tab

Type : open followed by a space and the URL to navigate to, and press <Enter>. For example, to open the luakit website, type : open luakit.github.io and then press press <Enter>.

Shortcut: press o to switch to command mode with open already typed.

Search

Press /, and type your search query, e.g: /luakit. Press <Enter> to finish typing your search query and switch back to normal mode. While in normal mode with highlighted search results, press n to jump to the next search result, and N to jump to the previous one.
Opening, closing, and undo-closing tabs

Try the following steps in order:

Run :tabopen luakit.org, and wait until the page finishes loading.
Press d, and the new tab will close.
Press u, and the just-closed tab will reappear.

Scrolling in a web page

There are several different keys to scroll a webview:

The arrow, page up/down, and home/end keys all work as one would expect.
The h, j, k, l, gg, and G key bindings all scroll in a vim-like manner.
The <Control-e>, <Control-y>, <Control-d>, <Control-u>, <Control-f>, and <Control-b> keys all scroll vertically by various amounts.