Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2018, 12:19 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Instructions for patching firmware 4.9.11314

This firmware version is only available for mark 4/5 devices, for mark 6/7 devices see the thread for firmware 4.9.11311 instead.

BEWARE: The filename for this firmware archive is kobo-update-4.9.11311.zip but the firmware inside the archive is actually version 4.9.11314, so you will need to change the filename to kobo-update-4.9.11314.zip to work with the instructions below.

See the Firmware 4.9.11311 discussion thread for information about what has changed in this firmware version.

See the Index to the Metazoa firmware patches thread for a description of what some of these patches do.

Before starting:

1. Check Settings > Device information to make sure your Kobo ereader is already running firmware version 4.9.11314 (8c2fd38797). If not, then you need to upgrade before applying this patch.

2. Check that your battery is well charged.

Patching from Windows, Linux (i386/x86_64/ARM), or Mac (OS X 10.8-10.9, i386/x86_64):

1. Download and extract patch_kobo_40911314.zip (attached).

2. Download the Kobo firmware archive version 4.9.11314 for your device (See this post for links), rename the file from kobo-update-4.9.11311.zip to kobo-update-4.9.11314.zip, and copy it into the 4.9.11314_source/ subdirectory that was created in step 1. (Don't unzip the firmware archive.)

3. Read and edit all the *.patch files in the 4.9.11314_source/ subdirectory in order to: choose which patches to enable (patch_enable=`yes`) or disable (patch_enable=`no`); and to change some of the replacement values to suit your device and preferences.

4. In Windows run 4.9.11314.bat (double-click); For Linux/Mac run 4.9.11314.sh (double-click, or right-click + run, or execute 4.9.11314.sh from the command line, or drag 4.9.11314.sh into Terminal, depending on your particular OS/desktop.)

5. If there were no errors, a new 4.9.11314_target/ subdirectory will be created. Copy the KoboRoot.tgz file from this subdirectory to the .kobo directory on your ereader.

6. Safely eject and unplug the device, which will then update and restart.

To return your ereader to its original unpatched state:

1. Edit all the 4.9.11314_source/*.patch files to disable all patches (i.e. set patch_enable = `no` for every patch).

2. Repeat steps 4-6 of the procedure above.
Attached Files
File Type: zip patch_kobo_40911314.zip (515.0 KB, 629 views)

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-07-2018 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Updated attachment to include some missing nickel patches
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:20 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alternative instructions using new patching tools

See the kobopatch - An improved patching system thread for more details.

This firmware version is only available for mark 4/5 devices, for mark 6/7 devices see the thread for firmware 4.9.11311 instead.

BEWARE: The filename for this firmware archive is kobo-update-4.9.11311.zip but the firmware inside the archive is actually version 4.9.11314, so you will need to change the filename to kobo-update-4.9.11314.zip to work with the instructions below.
  1. Download kobopatch_4.9.11314.zip from here.
  2. Download the firmware from here to the src folder. The zip should be renamed to kobo-update-4.9.11314.zip.
  3. Install the firmware on your kobo BEFORE proceeding with the next steps.
  4. Enable patches in the files in the src folder (or use the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to keep your options separate).
  5. Run kobopatch.bat on Windows, or kobopatch.sh on Linux.
  6. If the patching succeeded, a file named KoboRoot.tgz will be created in the out folder. Copy it to the .kobo folder of your device.

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-14-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Advert
Old 07-06-2018, 12:22 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard

Notes and other patches

Notes:

None of the patches are enabled by default.

If you want to disable the QuickTurn feature, add the following line to the [Reading] section of the device's configuration file:
Code:
disableQuickTurn=true

The two patches `Changing the info panel in full size screensaver (lower left corner)` / (upper left corner) are not included in the attachment to post #1, see oren64's post for a replacement.

The two patches `Wikipedia Search Language` and `Show games on Beta Features` are now included in the attachment to post #1.

Other patches:

`Changing the info panel in full size screensaver- beta 1`

tshering's BAD EYES adaptation (PROGRESIVE)

If you know of any other patches for firmware 4.9.11314, post them in this thread and I'll add a link above.

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-15-2018 at 04:41 AM. Reason: added link to tshering's BAD EYES adaptation (PROGRESIVE)
Old 07-06-2018, 01:38 AM   #4
Vwow
Vwow began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Many thanks!
Vwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:56 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you very much!
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2018, 05:50 AM   #6
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Thanks a lot, @GeoffR.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
TypuCT1
TypuCT1 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
firmware 4.9.11314, entered disableQuickTurn = true,
but it did not help, how else you can turn off the fonction, help
TypuCT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypuCT1 View Post
firmware 4.9.11314, entered disableQuickTurn = true,
but it did not help, how else you can turn off the fonction, help
It work to turn quick turn off here on my Glo. You need it in the correct section of the file. It has to be in the one of the lines after "[Reading]" and before the next section header. The case of the both the key and value is important, so you should have exactly what GeoffR posted.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
To check the version of a firmware zip if you are unsure, I have written a tool to extract it from the update zip, KoboRoot.tgz, or libnickel.so. https://github.com/geek1011/koboutils/releases/latest . On Windows, just drag the file onto kobo-versionextract.exe.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
reserved for alternative instructions using new patching tools
I've updated kobopatch to the latest patch zips: https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatch/releases/latest . There is a README in the zip, and it is pretty straightforward to use. The linked zips still use the patch32lsb format, but once I sort out some issues with converting the binary patches in my new conversion tool, I'll release a version converted to my new format. Users can keep their patch choices between formats and versions if they use the Overrides option in kobopatch.yaml.

Also, would anyone be interested in an option to automatically copy the patched KoboRoot.tgz to a connected Kobo?

As for progress on the zlib patching, I'm almost finished, but I need to figure out some implementation differences between go's zlib library and python's zlib library. The dictionaries used for compression seem different. See this issue for the details. I'd appreciate some help if anyone knows more about zlib.

Last edited by geek1011; 07-06-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #11
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Seems to be a bug in the Mark 5 firmware that eliminates the top margin in epubs. At least this is what's happening with my 1st gen Aura. I'm going back to 4.8.11073.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I've updated kobopatch to the latest patch zips: https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatch/releases/latest . There is a README in the zip, and it is pretty straightforward to use. The linked zips still use the patch32lsb format, but once I sort out some issues with converting the binary patches in my new conversion tool, I'll release a version converted to my new format. Users can keep their patch choices between formats and versions if they use the Overrides option in kobopatch.yaml.

Also, would anyone be interested in an option to automatically copy the patched KoboRoot.tgz to a connected Kobo?

As for progress on the zlib patching, I'm almost finished, but I need to figure out some implementation differences between go's zlib library and python's zlib library. The dictionaries used for compression seem different. See this issue for the details. I'd appreciate some help if anyone knows more about zlib.
Thank you, to keep the file between releases will be a big help. Not interested in copying, anyway... and waiting for your zlib (and my poor translations, if you're able to include them ). Thanks a lot for this.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Thank you, to keep the file between releases will be a big help. Not interested in copying, anyway... and waiting for your zlib (and my poor translations, if you're able to include them ). Thanks a lot for this.
Also see the new Tips and Tricks section at the beginning of the kobopatch thread. I've added a howto for making it even easier for updating by separating custom and built-in patches into different files. If you use that and overrides, you should be able to just extract the new kobopatch (minus kobopatch.yaml) over top of the old patch files without losing any changes (unless you modified the built-in patches).

As for your translations, I'll add it today. First, can I clarify one thing? Is all kobopatch needs to do is add files from a folder into /usr/local/Kobo/translations?
Old 07-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Also see the new Tips and Tricks section at the beginning of the kobopatch thread. I've added a howto for making it even easier for updating by separating custom and built-in patches into different files. If you use that and overrides, you should be able to just extract the new kobopatch (minus kobopatch.yaml) over top of the old patch files without losing any changes (unless you modified the built-in patches).
Thank you, it will be useful for some patches.

Quote:
As for your translations, I'll add it today. First, can I clarify one thing? Is all kobopatch needs to do is add files from a folder into /usr/local/Kobo/translations?
No, it need to execute some programs for converting ts to qm (I think I attached the bat at the original thread, I can attach it again if you like). Of course, I'm responsible to be sure that binary and libs are in the proper directory, I don't expect them to be included too.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #15
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
No, it need to execute some programs for converting ts to qm (I think I attached the bat at the original thread, I can attach it again if you like). Of course, I'm responsible to be sure that binary and libs are in the proper directory, I don't expect them to be included too.
I've finished translations support! Please test it (as I don't use translations myself), and tell me if it works fine in the kobopatch thread.