Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-01-2024, 07:37 PM   #1
therealTOEBEANS
therealTOEBEANS began at the beginning.

Device: Android - KOReader - S22 Ultra
Poke 4 Lite or 5?

Hello, all! I've been wanting a better reading experience than my phone, since I've been reading a great deal of books lately. I found the Poke line from Onyx Boox, and it's looking great! I've been led to understand that the Poke 5 is a small minor upgrade from the Poke 4 Lite (which is available in my country).

I don't want to spend more than I have to, and the Poke line seems a good compromise for me personally... but I can't decide whether I want to pick up a Poke 4 Lite or Poke 5! Maybe someone more versed in these devices can instruct my feeble mind.

Also, if the 4 Lite is a better option: where can I find one used for a fair price seeing as it's older??

Thanks in advance for all your help! Cheers!
therealTOEBEANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 09:03 PM   #2
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
The main differences are:

1) the Poke 5 has a flush bezel whereas the Poke 4 Lite has an indented bezel. The former prevents dust buildup in the corners (which always irritated me in my older readers), the latter is said to lead to a slight improvement in screen clarity (as there is less thickness of glass between your eyes and the display). So this is very much a matter of personal preference, and

2) The Poke 5 has higher resolution (300ppi vs 212).
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 09:36 PM   #3
therealTOEBEANS
therealTOEBEANS began at the beginning.

Device: Android - KOReader - S22 Ultra
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
The main differences are:

1) the Poke 5 has a flush bezel whereas the Poke 4 Lite has an indented bezel. The former prevents dust buildup in the corners (which always irritated me in my older readers), the latter is said to lead to a slight improvement in screen clarity (as there is less thickness of glass between your eyes and the display). So this is very much a matter of personal preference, and

2) The Poke 5 has higher resolution (300ppi vs 212).
Wow, thanks for the info!

That's very interesting about the bezel situation... I've had kindles with both styles, and I actually prefer the indented kind! I find it makes it easier to tell where I should put my fingers while holding the device to not turn the pages accidentally.

I guess I just don't know about the resolution business... is 212ppi so very bad?? I used to use a kindle with a 300ppi screen, so I guess I'm spoiled.

I'm also finding that actually getting a 4 lite in my area is hard. I think I'll go with the Poke five!

Thanks again for the tips.
therealTOEBEANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 09:53 PM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Also, the Poke4 Lite only has 16 GB flash vs 32 GB for the Poke5.

We are talking about Onyx, so there's no saying that they won't come up with a Poke6 tomorrow with identical (or poorer) specs.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, ereader, help choice, help deciding